Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Operating frequency

Posted by fatboy59 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Operating frequency
July 30, 2010 03:37AM
Tom,

What would be or is the optimum operating frequency for a detector if you were only looking for coins? relics? gold? There must be a lot of variables(damp ground,dry ground,minerals etc.) I know that I read somewhere that Charles Garrett believes that single frequency detectors operate more efficiently and deeper(please correct me if I'm wrong) than multiple frequency detectors. Yet I see Minelab detectors constantly picking up more "goodies" deeper than any Garrett detector. It seems to me that Mr. Garrett seems to be building detectors based on "old" technology and is sticking to that format. Having more frequencies is beneficial or is perfecting the one operating frequency better? It just seems to me that every other manufacturer except Garrett (excluding their P.I. detector) are using more frequencies. What are your beliefs about this? Anybody else?
Re: Operating frequency
July 30, 2010 03:32PM
I wouold say the Freq that that the T2 and LTD run on is the best all around freq

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Operating frequency
July 31, 2010 01:30AM
In general, lower Freq's are good for copper/silver coins.
Medium Freq's are good for relics.
High Freq's are good for gold prospecting.

There are other variables.......Grnd mineralization, salts etc........... But this is a basic rule-of-thumb.

Multi-Freq's are good for bad dirt..........in general. . . . . if any form of ID is required. If ID is not important; a PI trumps all....in bad dirt.
Single freq units are (in general) better at handling nail infested sites.

I must state an exception to the rule. The T2/F75's are single freq units.....and can handle bad dirt nearly as good as multi-freq units.

Single freq units, multi-freq units......PI's have nothing to do with depth. All of them can be driven to great depth capabilities. Now............once again.................if the dirt has high mineralization content.........the PI will punch through the best.......and by a tremendous amount.