Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detect your own yard? Unexpected find without detector.

Posted by Sand dog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detect your own yard? Unexpected find without detector.
June 04, 2015 07:19PM
I had to bury a opossum that fell in the pool. So I picked a spot in my yard and started to dig a hole, I got down about a foot "finished hole was 3 feet deep" and I noticed something in bottom of hole, I reach in and pick up a standing liberty quarter no date. I never really detected my yard to good house was built in 1950s. After I got done I went inside grabbed my racer and started to detect my yard in sections from multiple angles. I'm not nearly done yet but found an old eagle button and old brass heal plate from shoe. Cant wait to see what else I find.

John
Re: Detect your own yard? Unexpected find without detector.
June 04, 2015 07:55PM
How can you call yourself a detectorist and not detect your own yard the minute you get a new detector? winking smiley

Congrats on the silver!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 07:56PM by Champ Ferguson.
June 04, 2015 08:11PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How can you call yourself a detectorist and not
> detect your own yard the minute you get a new
> detector? winking smiley
>
>
>
> Congrats on the silver!

+1 smiling smiley some of my best finds were outside my front door.
June 04, 2015 08:38PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
>
>
>

LoL

Or a new house!

I bought an 1868 Georgian Revival Home and POUNDED that yard every single chance I got for yrs!

In fact - it was the 1st thing I did after we moved in --- that's all I could think of doing while moving and from the moment I knew we were going to buy it!

I even dug up one of the old Privies to collect up the old bottles!
June 04, 2015 09:42PM
MRH...Ha! that's why you bought the house lol.... who you kidding.
June 04, 2015 10:15PM
LOL - and so true.

Champ Ferguson Wrote:
>
>
>

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
June 04, 2015 10:33PM
I hunt my yard alot..

I have a old roadbed coming throught the back corner with a chimney rock pile and old well hole filled in in the center of my back yard..

Ive found 3 ringers... burnsides,,,toe taps...eagle C button coat size...pewter spoon's..carved bullets...etc...great area to test machines Ive pounded it hard...Just walk out my back door and hunt..LOVE IT..

congrat's on your finds!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 04, 2015 10:49PM
Where I am getting ready to put my house...same type deal. It's on our family land, where I sort of cut my teeth on detecting. I quit hunting it about 10-11 yrs ago when I moved away...and really, the only detectors that it has had on it has been Tesoro machines and a few older 1200 series Fishers. I've not hunted it hard at all with these newer machines like the Deus, etc. There are 3 old home sites on the place...all within walking distance of where my house is gonna be. I've dug 3 ringers here, eagle buttons, seated coins, indian head cents, flat buttons...lots of goodies. I came back over here the other day and brought the Deus along with me. I could NOT believe the amount of targets in the ground that I have not dug. I thought I had this place cleaned out of good sounding signals. I have enough to keep me busy for a while.
June 04, 2015 11:32PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna turn this place upside down. There's gotta be more silver. I'm feeling really stupid that the only silver coin I found in my own yard was without using one of my detectors. Ha.
June 05, 2015 02:30AM
My yard sux and I am jealous of you all!

Built in the late 80's (that's NINETEEN 80s), and I have found exactly 4 pennies, only 1 of which was copper. I'm pretty sure that i'm the one that lost the copper too and that makes it that much worse.
June 05, 2015 07:07AM
John, I can tell you when I started detecting I turned up my nose at detecting those post-war suburban ranch houses which are omnipresent near my home. I was bound and determined to detect much older areas. Sounds like maybe that was your feeling too.

The first one I did detect I found three silvers and that opened my eyes. The baby boom years of 1946-1964 were a time of prosperity and upward mobility for a large percentage of America. More kids than ever before or since. Backyard barbeques and picnics. Dropped coins. Lost rings too. I'm on my third big bucket of toy cars. And dropped silver. Loads of 1964 silver dimes. I've found 87 so far, 60 with a "D" mintmark.
June 05, 2015 02:29PM
Yep found a few silver dimes and a buffalo nickel so it pays to hunt your yard even if newer as who knows what was there before.
June 05, 2015 02:49PM
Our Farm was first settled in the early 1860s according to the abstract. Part of the orginal log cabin still remains built into the house! The yard is very trashy with lots of nails and old iron trash but so far I've found 4 mercury dimes 3 in a coin spill about 20 years ago and one of my side walk a couple weeks ago in a stroke of luck I was checking to see what version omega I had with small coil attached, had it just off side walk after it turned on as I was moving it around got a tone and dug my fourth dime. Last spring my wife was using the m6 and she pulled out an 1874 shield nickel both of oldest coin to date. Of course there were numerous wheat pennies no Indians yet though and no silver bigger than dimes. Congrats on the slq never dug one myself I wouldn't feel embarrassed takes alot more talent to dig one without a detector than with one!