Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ghost town group hunt

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Ghost town group hunt
June 07, 2015 03:14AM
Old California Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great finds El! And congrats with the Barber
> half, Excellent condition best one I've seen come
> out of the ground.
>
> WTG!
> Paul (Ca)

Thanks Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 02:41AM by Elbert.
June 07, 2015 07:14PM
Thanks for the Invite Ray..

I may take you up on it one day...

I would have to fly and have to pack alot of units.LOL..

Maybe Ill look into it...I think a airline ticket is only like 300.00 round trip...

have to be in the fall of the year...Im strapped all summer and early fall with my Youngest daughters Softball..shes made the High school feeder team and shes only 12.. Quite the honor...

So im in constant training with her..

I surely want to get out there though...Ill make it one way or another at one point..

Thaks for the info Elbert on Montes hunt...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 07, 2015 09:59PM
That was a very interesting read, Elbert, and nice pics, too. Thanks for posting.
I did a bit of Googling about this town, out of curiosity, and came across this Ghost Town website that I though might interest forum members. These are the Toano pages:
[elkorose.schopine.com]
[elkorose.schopine.com]
June 08, 2015 01:46AM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was a very interesting read, Elbert, and nice
> pics, too. Thanks for posting.
> I did a bit of Googling about this town, out of
> curiosity, and came across this Ghost Town website
> that I though might interest forum members. These
> are the Toano pages:
> [elkorose.schopine.com]
> [elkorose.schopine.com]

Thank you Pimento.

Yes there is allot of information about that town and the others. Oregon Gregg has a Nevada Ghost Town Book that has quite a few pictures of the actual builds and there locations can be pretty much established by Topo surroundings.
June 10, 2015 11:30PM
El,

Thanks for the great post, excellent batch of photos, and even more for participating in our "Welcome to Hunt Outing." It was a pleasure to meet you and all the other folks who wandered from afar to have some fun. Working those old RR ghost towns is an education in itself on learning some "How-To" techniques, and I've been enjoying many of them, including those main three we hunted, for over 46 years now.

Now, for you and any readers of this thread, we are planning another trip in September. Same three towns, but we're eliminating the long drive from Wendover. Folks can get a room at the Pilot Motel in Montello, or a small group get the 3 bedroom lodge, or just pick a townsite to camp at, if so equipped and included. The four days we'll be hunting at September 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th (Wed. thru Sat.). I hope to see anyone who can make this ghost towning jaunt.

Monte

(PS: OregonGregg, Bink & Molly and Miss Rikki & I have already reserved our rooms for those dates, so it is a plan-in-action.)
June 11, 2015 12:22AM
Cal_cobra Wrote: I wish I'd been able to go on this trip, but that darn honeymoon got in the way smiling smiley I suspect it would've been education as much as it would've been fun!
Brian, you can't ignore those honeymoon events and still enjoy life for a while. Sorry you couldn't make it. Yes, it was an education for some, I can assure you. Just as urban parks are not all the same, ghost towns aren't either, and I have worked many of them in quite a few states for over 46 of the 50+ years I've been detecting, and the most challenging of all (in my opinion) are the more frequently-used Railroad town sites. Quite a challenge with both ferrous and non-ferrous junk, often in extreme abundance.

Cal_cobra Wrote: Was there any trend as to who was making the good finds (machine they were using, small coil, raking debris to get to the goods, etc?
Yes, as El mentioned, your best success is usually going to be using a smaller-than-stock search coil, working it slowly and methodically with shorter-length sweeps (mine are usually 24 to 30 inches but sometimes 36 inches side-to-side), and using the least amount of Discrimination you can tolerate. You want to use a quick-response/fast-recovery detector that also has excellent Discrimination processing/handling for those worst encounters to help reduce good-target masking.

Everyone found various artifacts regardless of the detector model used, but the coin recoveries seemed to be more limited to certain detectors, often operated by someone who wasn't a novice. Coins found included:

Two Deus were used, found was an 1858 Seated Liberty 25¢.

A few White's MXT Pro's w/6½" Concentric coils were used, found was an1854 Large 1¢.

A borrowed White's M6 w/5" DD was used, found was an 1854 Seated Liberty half-10¢.

A Fisher F19 w/5X10 DD was used, found was 1896 'V' Nickel, 1858-o Seated Liberty half-10¢, 1900 Barber 10¢ and 1861 Seated Liberty 25¢.

A White's V3i w/custom programs and I am not sure which coils were used, found was 1905 Barber 50¢, and 1917 & 1946 Wheat 1¢, and I think an 1864 Seated Liberty 10¢.

A few Makro Racers were used with small 'OOR' and 5½X10 DD coils, and found were 1912 Barber 50¢, 1887 Seated Liberty 10¢, 1899 Barber 25¢, an 1860 Indian Head 1¢ and two newer Indian Head 1¢.

That's as close as I can remember right now.

Hey! Honeymoon is over and we're going to have another Ghost Town Outing to Nevada (same three towns) on September 9th thru the 12th. Maybe you can fit this one in? Questions? Shoot me an e-mail to monte@ahrps.org Anyone is welcome to come and play.

Monte

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 07:36PM by Monte.
June 11, 2015 01:27AM
Cool Monte, I will be there!
June 11, 2015 05:50PM
Monte,

First welcome to Nasa Tom's Forum (what took you so long?) , and thanks for the trip invite!

I'm planning a Labor Day weekend trip to Tonopah, but I could probably do a shorter trip to Tonopah, rearrange the days and add in your trip. Tonopah to Montello is about a 5-1/2 hour drive (more like 5 hours or less since speed limits in the middle of the Nevada desert are more like suggestions smiling smiley, and there's spots to potentially detect along the way smiling smiley

It sounds like we hunt the same type of sites in central Nevada, they range from 1860's to 1900, most were at some point rail road stops, almost all were mining towns of one type or another, and some were large concerns for the railroads. We've found a fair amount of coins and tokens at these old sites over the years, but nothing like the amount that your are describing in a single trip. I know these sites around Tonopah have been (and still are) detected since the bottle diggers got in there in the 1960's, and locals detect there too, so that's a lot of detecting. Believe it or not, the local old dump site is the main attraction as multitudes of tokens and gold coins have, and continue to come from it.

Let me see what I can do to rearrange my Tonopah trip, but I'd say I'm 90% certain I'll see you guys in Montello!

HH,
Brian
June 11, 2015 10:27PM
Monte, thanks for the update on the coin count and detector usage.

Good to see you here and thanks for the great time.

El