Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Unusually large gold nugget found in Scotland

Posted by Pimento 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Unusually large gold nugget found in Scotland
June 06, 2015 09:01PM
Yes, we do have gold here in the U.K, there's a "seam" runs north-south down the west side of the mainland, through Western Scotland, and Wales. Gold has been mined in Wales, and both locations have produced small quantities from the rivers. Panning in Scotland is a viable hobby, there are stories of romantic souls panning enough to make a matching pair of wedding rings. But large nuggets are very scarce, so this story made the news:
[www.bbc.com]
It has been valued at about 15 x melt value. How does that compare with Californian nuggets?
Re: Unusually large gold nugget found in Scotland
June 06, 2015 11:18PM
Very cool Pimento! Well, its bigger than anything Ive ever found! For comparing, its definitely a bragger out here, I know guys that find 1/2 ozers, but definitely not common. Thanks for sharing!! Ray
June 07, 2015 01:52AM
If I found one of those nuggets, similar in size. Well, might as well break out the Charmin!!!!!
June 07, 2015 06:16PM
How hard would it be to take a gold nugget from Oz or Cali, and drop it in a stream in Scotland, then play dumb when finding it. Seems like a lucrative enterprise.
June 07, 2015 06:28PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How hard would it be to take a gold nugget from Oz
> or Cali, and drop it in a stream in Scotland, then
> play dumb when finding it. Seems like a lucrative
> enterprise.

Especially with that type of markup!
I'm curious how they determine the value.
I've often heard of 3 to 5 times value for nugget/specimen values but 20 times is a bit extreme to me.
June 07, 2015 06:58PM
Well...there was that huge Plumas county nugget supposedly found here in Cali...turns out it was an Aussie nug from a decade ago.
June 07, 2015 07:48PM
I understand Scottish gold is valued at 5 times that of 'regular' gold. And 'attractive' nuggets in sizes that would make viable jewellery will fetch a +100% premium, maybe more. So the combined effect of these two results in the 10-plus fold price increase over melt. Presumably there is some way of obtaining 'provenance' to any gold found in Scotland. I'm sure that jewellery made from it is hallmarked in some way that indicates this.
As for passing off Aussie/Alaskan/Sudanese/Cali' nuggets as U.K-found, I'm sure an expert could tell them apart at a glance. Plus there's the assay process, Scottish gold is apparently high purity, and no doubt the trace element levels could be enough to tell you where in the world a sample of gold is from.
I've heard of crude oil spills in the ocean being analysed (mass spectrometry, etc), and they can determine where it's from, and hence track down the culprit ship.(and prosecute).
June 07, 2015 08:06PM
Maybe it's worth 5x to a Scot but I'm Irish as well and I'll still argue the value is nonsense.
Let's drag some more nationalities into the discussion and see who would be dumb enough to pay that for it . smiling smiley
June 07, 2015 09:15PM
I understand why you think it's nonsense, I guess history has something to do with it. And Welsh gold also has a price premium, as it has a strong Royal Family connection. It has been the tradition to use only Welsh gold for Royal wedding rings, crowns and other related geegaws.
I guess it's like anything - it's valued at what people will pay for it. If gold was easily mined, and could be produced commercially for 200 Dollars/ounce, then its open market value would probably be 250 dollars. But it's not easy or cheap to mine, I've seen figures of 800 dollars/ounce as production costs for large mines, which tends to put a floor on the market price. Presumably Scottish gold costs a lot more than the typical figure to extract - so, it should sell at a premium, if people are prepared to pay it.
Here's the article about a man who panned gold for wedding rings:
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
June 07, 2015 09:25PM
Like in Real Estate "Location, Location, Location". Except in this case it's called "provenance". And I'd bet a good Mexican Dinner that analysis could easily detect the trace elements which would tie a given nigget to other nuggets from the same source.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 07, 2015 09:28PM
That's a terrific story and I know how he feels and was driven. thumbs down
I pulled 10 oz. out of the southern end of the Sangre de Cristo mountains years ago and while the smalls were melted and sold the crystalline nuggets which assayed between 93 and 94 % are priceless.
I have to thank a Whites Eagle for preventing me from walking away from that discovery BTW.
June 09, 2015 02:17AM
Maybe it's worth 5x to a Scot but I'm Irish as well and I'll still argue the value is nonsense. Let's drag some more nationalities into the discussion and see who would be dumb enough to pay that for it .

We'll I'm a Brit, so I'll just conquer both your tiny islands and take all the gold for myself.winking smiley
June 09, 2015 03:31AM
HA!!!!!
Juust supply the grog,,,you kin have the gould.
June 09, 2015 03:47AM
Play nice boys!

Gold make s people crazy. Check "Treasure of the Siierra Madre"

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 09, 2015 08:43PM
Some good clean humor.

An Englishman, Irishman, Welshman, Scotsman were captured while fighting in a far-off foreign land, and the leader of the captors said, 'We're going to line you up in front of a firing squad and shoot you all in turn. But first, you each can make a final wish.'

The Englishman responds, 'I'd like to hear "God Save The Queen" just one more time to remind me of the auld country, played by the London All Boys Choir. With Morris Dancers Dancing to the tune.'

The Irishman replies, 'I'd like to hear "Danny Boy" just one more time to remind me of the auld country, sung in the style of Daniel O'Donnell, with Riverdance dancers skipping gaily to the tune.'

The Welshman answers, 'I'd like to hear "Men Of Harlech" just one more time to remind me of the country, sung as if by the Treorchy Male Voice Choir.'

The Scotsman says quickly, 'I'd like to be shot first.'