Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX 17 inch coil to 6 inch coil

Posted by sube 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX 17 inch coil to 6 inch coil
June 09, 2015 10:35PM
This is the 4 th year running this detector, Lets start where I hunt at a old fairgrounds I ran the 6 inch coil here in a area of 20 by 20 dug 10 silver dimes here and 3 wheat pennys .
This area has the screen almost totally covered in red dots and a constant iron grunt this is running in ferrous coin .
The reason it is covered in red dots on target trace is because there are a ton of old rotten bottle caps here I mean they have decomposed to just rust flakes and some are half there some still whole .
So I got a 17 inch coil and wanted to see what it would do here .
The 6 inch coil well find a dime touching a bottle cap using the leading edge of the coil it well high tone a good hit and #s but if you hit it with the center of the coil it well give a 12.30 vid compared to a 12.43 with the leading edge . So the signal is blended but if you place a dime under a bottle cap it well read 12.15 or 12.30 depending on the cap used .
This is not a problem here with the #s because there are very few pull-tabs in this area I have found a few dimes that where covered with a cap by digging these #s .
Now going back to the 17 inch coil it does the same as the 6 inch coil doing the same test . But you would have to move the coil a inch at a time to get the same results getting good audio and vid .As you no all target show up on target trace with the ctx but you have to watch the screen audio is off but #s on targets are right as long as there not blended signals with trash .

So I hunted this with the 17 inch coil for about a hour what I found was the area was almost clean compared to the 6 inch coil the target trace screen was not full of red dots like the 6 inch coil but the bottle caps still came in but the smaller rust and flakes did not show up on the screen .
Now I know the 6 inch coil is more sensitive than the 17 inch coil but the 17 well hit a dime deeper than the 6 inch coil how deep don't know .
But I did retrieve one dime here at 9 inches with the 6 inch coil running manual at 28
So my ? is the 17 inch coil not seeing the small rust pieces and silent masking is happening , I have read beneath the mask by Tom on here and this is what I think is happening .
It seems that the 6 inch coil is hitting all the rust compared to the 17 but the 6 won't find all the coins here because of the masking going on .
From my time using the 6 inch coil almost all the hunts I have done here in 4 years it seems to find a lot of coins with nails and bottle caps as long as there at the same level or close to the level of the coin or under the coin .Good thing most nails are deep here .
I can usally get good vdi and audio if I work the target with iron from several directions

I got the 17 inch coil for field hunting and not for the fairgrounds .
But I did want to see what would happen with it in this area .
By the way I have ran the 5000db 6000 series 3 1266 fisher and explore 2 here in the last 10 years.
With the ctx running here mostly with the 6 inch coil I have recovered 116 Indianhead 47 v nickels 63 barber dimes 40 mercury and about 20 roosys and only 73 wheats 3 quarters and 3 halfs all silver . So you know this has been pounded by how many wheats quarters and halfs that I have recovered . sube
Re: CTX 17 inch coil to 6 inch coil
June 10, 2015 01:43AM
IMO, just because the 17" coil is not providing the amount of data on the screen, doesn't necessarily mean the rust/iron etc are not negatively affecting the 17" coil as far as seeing good targets. What about your stock coil?? That's the coil to try after the site has been hunted with small coil. And if you hunted with stock coil before the small coil, I would still hunt the site with stock coil. Reason is you have thinned the targets, even digging some maskers in the process.

As much as you have pulled out if site. IMO I would be digging a lot of the other nonferrous/iron just to get it out of the way.

A site such as yours, with a solid detecting history, IMO would be a great site to start taking BIG chances on targets; even the not so good sounding/TID providers.
June 10, 2015 03:01AM
When I got the ctx the stock coil was what I used only found 2 silver dimes where I found 10 with the 6 inch coil . I had hunted the fairgrounds with the stock coil for 2 to 3 months till I was able to finally get the 6 . Most targets here I would say 90 percent that I had found with the stock coil had iron with the target that's why I wanted the 6 inch coil .
I really started to kill the place with the 6 inch coil so it stayed on the ctx .
And I did hunt areas with the stock coil after the 6 inch but found very few coins and that was probably from poor coverage of the 6 easy to miss spots with the small coil .
The area where I found the 10 dimes were all mercs a few real good xtra fine and better early mercs no barbers here but think there just a little deeper .
I had recover many barbers here and the better shape barbers are in the 8 inch range and deeper .

But do to masking I may never get to them as for as iffy signals most coins here were 1 way hit's and like I said before 90 percent had iron in the hole with them .
The 6 inch coil has done a great job here but would like to get more depth the stock coil never gave me anything deeper than the 6 here probably do to all the iron .
One sweep with the 6 well hit 15 plus targets most targets are iron .
So back to the 17 if it's not showing the small iron and flakes I tend to think a lot of silent masking is going on . sube
June 10, 2015 03:17AM
If your stock coil didn't produce many more finds, that tells me the 17" coil probably won't either. You need to go the other direction, hence............

Do you have a bud with a Nokta CoRe or Makro Racer with a small coil?? A site like your describing is where those 2 detectors with small OOR coils will perform.

Of maybe a F70/F75 with small coil.
Or one of the Tesoros.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2015 03:25AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 10, 2015 04:56PM
" a great coil if you can pick up a good one!"
June 10, 2015 09:40PM
Tnsharpshooter I think the only detector that I well try and run here would be a deus but will not spring for one tell they come out with a small coil.
Getting back to the original ?
So my ? is the 17 inch coil not seeing the small rust pieces and silent masking is happening , I have read beneath the mask by Tom on here and this is what I think is happening .
It seems that the 6 inch coil is hitting all the rust compared to the 17 but the 6 won't find all the coins here because of the masking going on .
From my time using the 6 inch coil almost all the hunts I have done here in 4 years it seems to find a lot of coins with nails and bottle caps as long as there at the same level or close to the level of the coin or under the coin .Good thing most nails are deep here .
I can usally get good vdi and audio if I work the target with iron from several directions . Thanks sube