Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1st Lake/Beach Hunt Of The Season Scores The Good Stuff grinning smiley

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1st Lake/Beach Hunt Of The Season Scores The Good Stuff grinning smiley
June 11, 2015 12:16AM
Hey all,

took the old trusty SurfMaster II out for a 7 hr lake/beach hunt on lake Michigan last weekend using a wetsuit as water temperature was only in the lower/mid 50s -- spent about 4.5 hrs in the water and 2.5 hrs on land/beach on a once private beach that is now open to the general public to walk/etc since the law/s changed here in Michigan 2 or 3 yrs back which states: The Michigan Supreme Court determined that the public has a right to walk along the shores of the Great Lakes, even on privately-owned land. Lakefront property owners may own the land down to the water’s edge, but the public trust doctrine nevertheless allows the public to walk on the land between the water’s edge and the “ordinary high water mark,” the place on the shore up to which the presence and action of the water is so continuous as to leave a distinct mark. grinning smiley

pile of clad ($2.25)
Men's large bent up .925 sterling ring (found in chest high water)
small ladies garnet type ring 14k gold (found near shore in knee deep water)
not shown are 27 zincolons/pennies and about 1000 pull tabs & chunks of foil that I dug too thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 01:39AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: 1st Lake/Beach Hunt Of The Season Scores The Good Stuff grinning smiley
June 11, 2015 12:24AM
You earned that stuff having to wear a wet suit. That does suck when people try to block access on public beaches. Glad they got it ironed out but hard to believe it's only been 3-4 years ago since the ruling. A buddy of mine had a similar problem when one of the property owners was also a local judge. It wound up in court, the land owner/judge lost and he would just glare when my buddy walked along the lakefront after that.
June 11, 2015 01:09AM
Is that Grand Haven city beach?
June 11, 2015 01:13AM
Nice diggin there. Beautiful rings and some cash to boot.
June 11, 2015 01:18AM
Good Job! What type of lake bottom do you have there? When I lived in Wisc, the fluff sand on the Lake Michigan shore was many feet deep,the good stuff sank out of range, and water hunting was a waste of time.
June 11, 2015 01:28AM
mdowling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that Grand Haven city beach?

Nah

much MUCH farther north

city beach and the state park get pounded to death on a daily basis by dozens and dozens of guys from May thru Oct. so I try not to go there unless it's immediately after a large crowd has been there like during the fireworks or a festival or the like (and/but) they also use that skimmer/rake machine on the beach there now too (for the last 3 yrs) so there's never anything in the sand on the beach anymore = waste of time/gas these days...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 01:39AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
June 11, 2015 02:23AM
First and foremost congrats on a nice hunt....to spend that much time in the water you must have ate your Wheaties...Always felt an hour in water was equal to 2-3 on land..
Couple of hours in water used to really drain me even in my younger days....
June 11, 2015 02:32AM
Nice finds MRH. I wished I had a good water place to hunt.
June 11, 2015 03:43AM
Silver and GOLD!!! What more could anyone ask? Congrats on a good hunt. You should. Insider a dry suit for that cold water. Much more comfortable.
June 11, 2015 09:55AM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good Job! What type of lake bottom do you have
> there? When I lived in Wisc, the fluff sand on the
> Lake Michigan shore was many feet deep,the good
> stuff sank out of range, and water hunting was a
> waste of time.

Hey possum

here on the east side of the lake where the wind and wave action continually move/push sand around due to the general westerly flow of wind (s/w, west, n/w) - the bottom has about 1 to 2 ft of sand for an avg. (some areas more/some less) and it also depends on the depth of water you're hunting in - at the shoreline (or near it) the sand tends to be deeper than say when you're out in chest high water where in some spots it's only like 6 inches deep or so. I've hit the "hardpan" while diggin many times but I've also learned where NOT to dig too! lol Some areas on the beach have 6 to 8 ft of sand!
June 11, 2015 09:58PM
WTG up there! Like S & R said...what more could ya ask for.
June 12, 2015 12:16AM
Dan-Pa.

I hear what you're saying in re to the extra effort/work during water hunting

at the same time though - it has sort of a soothing/comforting effect too... After a good long water hunt you feel refreshed/rejuvenated in some sense...

Kind of like when you scuba dive - it's a workout but afterwards you feel energized thumbs down

--------------------------------------------------------------

TNSS

You live smack dab in the middle of some of the best detectin the country has to offer!

If I were YOU = I'd be doing what Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger) does in the warm/hot months.

Packin up my kayak/canoe and headin up/down some of those rivers & streams in search of CW history grinning smiley

He finds all kinds of cannon balls, artillery shells, bullets, relics, coins and more in the waters he hunts...

If you haven't already - check THIS video out at a Ford crossing he detected >> [www.youtube.com]
June 12, 2015 02:25AM
MRH, that is an amazing video of old silver! Well worth watching. Thanks for sharing.
June 12, 2015 02:48AM
Nice vid thanks.