Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Real world nickle to dime ratio?

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Real world nickle to dime ratio?
August 02, 2010 10:03PM
Tom your statement about the near linear ratio of old dimes to old nickles is keeping me up nights.Do you find nearly the same number of old nickles to dimes when hunting for old coins?Signed "Sleepless in South Dakota"
Re: Real world nickle to dime ratio?
August 03, 2010 01:15AM
A CORRECTLY tuned CZ-3D will validate this statement.................every time! And...........to further enhance this condition.........old schools will produce more old nickels vs old dimes. I say schools.........because............ a 'nickel' was "lunch". A kid of whom loses his nickel.............lost his lunch. And ...... to further enhance 'interest'..........early Buffalo nickels (in general) .... are worth MORE than early Mercury dimes. ((( Yes, there are a few exceptions ))). I have quite a few 1915 'D'.............. 1913 Variety-I with mintmarks..........1913 Variety-II with mintmarks........etc........................
August 03, 2010 12:24PM
Tom, you're blessed to live in an area where the soil doesn't destroy non silver or gold items.
Here in Virginia, the soil has all kinds of chemicals (fertilizers etc.) that pit copper coins.
August 03, 2010 10:01PM
Understand your mineral conditions. Akin to your condition..........I had an experience on the beach 6 years ago (2004)......when 3 hurricanes ...back-to-back..... one week apart from each other.......ripped away 11' - 14' of sand.... vertically. Walking towards to beach from the road..... you would encounter a (minimum) 11-foot cliff......having to do some tarzan acrobatics to jump down onto the beach. In the 11-foot cuts..........Barber's were found. In the 14-foot cuts.........Seated coins were found. And in either case...........nearly no copper coins (would have been Indian Heads) were found. I did find two......and they were razor blade thin. Saltwater and copper do not complement. On the bright side.............it was nice ... in that.....every coin that you would dig.....was old silver!
Less than a mile North of my posit..............a detectorist friend/coworker..........was hunting a area with a nominal 16-foot cut. He was finding Pillar Dollars from the 1790's. No coppers.