Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How To Use The Search and Advanced Search Functions

Posted by Tri 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tri
How To Use The Search and Advanced Search Functions
August 04, 2010 04:18PM
Hello All, After doing a little research I have noted as of this writing there are approx. 1,423 TOPICS/ 8,607 POSTS and 425 registered forum members.(single members w/multiple names unknown) HOWEVER , we all know there is ONLY ONE NASA-Tom. That being said I would like to rally everyone into at least attempting to use the search function. Since we all rely on his experise, and we all think sometimes, "Now I know Tom posted that somewhere...." , but because we either are confused about how to use the search or simply out of frustration, we just ask the same old questions again and again (MYSELF INCLUDED). I just want to help Tom so he can spend more time on NEW things instead of re-hashing the same old, same old. It's kind of like the guy that wanted to take a coffee break in the middle of the video. (NOBODY WANTS TO BE THAT GUY.)

Basically there are two ways to search:

1) Simply type in a keyword (in Search box) IRT what you are looking for and hit search, (might find what you're looking for might not , on to step 2

2) Click on the "Advanced" word just under the main search box which takes you to the bottom of the page with a whole set of search variables:

SEARCH MESSAGES BOX (just type in a word, series of words, or sentence ).....If you don't get what you're looking for, narrow it down more
by going on to the next box below it (authors) (please note there are 3 sub-catergories to search: All words, Any words and Exact Phrase, try
try them ALL before going to the next box)

SEARCH AUTHORS BOX (by default ie leaving it blank you will be searching for everyone, but mostly we will be searching for
NASA-Tom), which brings us to the next box (forums)

FORUMS BOX (by default it searches all forums, however I have noticed no difference whether you select search all forums or Thomas
Dankowski open forum), which brings us to the last box (options)

OPTIONS BOX (the first box allows you to search by "show results as messages" or "show results as threads") (THREADS ARE TOPICS,
MESSAGES ARE THE REPLIES TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC) and the second box to the right of options is the (time frame box) that allows
you 4 sub-categories of time frames (last 30 days, last 90 days,last year & all dates) , If you are not sure WHEN you think what you are
searching for happened, just make sure you click ALL DATES.

That is basically it, with a couple of addendums, One, if searching for an alpha-numeric phrase like (F75,T2, etc) you are not gonna find
anything so the key here is to add "Fisher" to the "F75" and "Teknetics" to the "T2").

Finally remember the more you can narrow it down the faster you can find it. (Also lets say you have it narrowed down to 20 pages, you can
also use the find function of your browser, internet explorer is mine, by clicking on "edit" on top left of internet explorer and click on "find on
this page" and then type in your specific keyword (including apha-numerics) (then click next and continue doing so) and the search words
will auto-matically be highlighted for you, so you don't have to read each individual post. Hope This Helps Everyone.

Sincerely Tri
Re: How To Use The Search and Advanced Search Functions
August 04, 2010 11:00PM
VERY much appreciated Tri. Yes, it would save me a lot of time..........mitigating having to spend a lot of time repeating myself; subsequently, allowing me to focus time/energy on NEW topics/information. And yes............I have a bunch more.