Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When the "easy" stuff is gone...what do YOU do?

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: When the "easy" stuff is gone...what do YOU do?
July 15, 2015 12:28PM
When relic hunting wooded sites, I always look for limbs/logs/brush that appear to have been in place for a while and would be in the way of someone's coil. You just know it was physically impossible to swing there. It's produced a bout a half dozen Minnie balls the last 2 trips at a buddies pounded Yankee fort lately.
July 15, 2015 03:50PM
IDX Kevin,

Your methodology/mindset is correct. And.................. you are using a exceptionally good unit (Minelab) for old/deep coins. Yet.......... there is a bit of a contradiction in your approach. The Minelabs are slow microprocessors; subsequently, not very good in trashy environments. Installing a smaller coil on the Minelab is a band-aid for the cause (attempting to correct/compensate for the slow microprocessor)...... via attempting/trynig to correct the 'adjacent target separation' issue in the more trashy areas. The Minelab will make up for its handicap in cleaner/more-open areas via its silver coin depth capabilities. You would be much better off with a Racer/F75/Deus/GMP for the more trashy areas. The 'results differential' can be quite dramatic.
July 15, 2015 07:02PM
Hi Kevin,

Your IDX Pro has got it covered for the trashy areas, just use the 6½" 5.3 coil. Like I said to you in earlier PM's at FM, your equipment is up to par, maybe a change of scenery would do you good. I have not been out much lately with the heat index's up past 100 degrees, it's time for me to pull out the Tiger Shark and hit the local lakes.
July 15, 2015 09:11PM
They only made one true concentric coil for the Explorer/Etrac. It is an 8'' excellerator coil I think they it? I think Kelly Co.carried them? I had one and it pretty much sucked to be blunt. Explorer and Etrac's don't work well with a concentric coil. The Sunray X-8 you have is my all around fav coil for the Etrac .Good separation in trash and good depth best of both world's. IMHO.
July 18, 2015 05:40AM
GreatH question, I'm pretty much a park hunter and only been hunting the same parks for a while. After 10 years off from detecting I bought an Etrac. It proved to produce, then I got an ultimate coil again it produced. Once that dried up I got the 6x8 see it produced and with great results. That is one awesome coil. Now things are drying up. I'm sure there are targets still at these places. I've hunted these places with the f75 and honestly it hasn't produced any new significant finds .I just started sweeping these spots with the deus I've pulled a couple of decent targets. But a new detector will make you dig more. I think that I really need find new spots. Gl &HH