Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need a 2nd detector for relic hunting-thoughts?

Posted by gates21 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need a 2nd detector for relic hunting-thoughts?
August 23, 2010 10:16PM
I currently have an Etrac for park hunting/well kept house site hunting. I like it because I am almost always sure when I am about to dig a coin. Downside is it ways a ton, and it is too slow to hunt in heavy iron. I was looking for a 2nd detector to use mainly for field field hunting (dig all non-FE). I was considering the Omega and DD coil, or the new Tek T2 LTD. Would I see a noticeable difference between these two detectors for field hunting? Most targets are not that deep, just masked. I owned the F75 ltd, but just couldn't handle all the interference caused by emi.

Thanks
Aaron
Re: Need a 2nd detector for relic hunting-thoughts?
August 23, 2010 10:24PM
Aaron,

Do you think the new T2 LTD will be less effected by EMI than the F75 LTD ? I have to read up more on the posts about the differences between the T2 LTD and F75 LTD since it looks like there is a $200 price difference.

Also, check out the new Gold Bug ( or the new G2 coming out since the stock coil on that is the 11 inch DD). I have a new Gold Bug with both coils and the unit is super smooth and a pleasure to use. I ran it at 100% gain on the salt water beaches here in NJ during my vacation and the unit never chattered or became erratic. Found some deep clad, tabs, foil ( along with a lot of bottle caps..which when deep, ID similar to quarters) but overall it's a darn good machine. The best part is, its SIMPLE to use.

John
August 23, 2010 10:49PM
If most of your targets aren't ultra deep, go for the Omega w/11" DD. The T2 LTD in boost mode will have a depth advantage over the O8, but aside from that their very similar machines. I find the TID on deeper targets on the O8 is consistently more accurate then the F75. So far the deepest silver coin I've dug with my O8 was an 8" Barber dime, but it might go deeper smiling smiley
August 24, 2010 12:18AM
Since you specifically stated 'relic hunting'...........I would recommend the F75 LTD (if money is not a issue)........or the T2 LTD. I say this because of their operating freq. I have yet to test the new Gold Bug SE...........so can not answer on this one.
August 24, 2010 01:50PM
I could not hunt with the LTD in fields (old torn down houses is what I'm assuming you're talking about) - although it has fast recovery, the falsing is a big problem in BP. 2F helped mitigate that but I still found myself back in DE. An Explorer user with a smaller coil could hunt way faster than me, because I had to give every false an investigation since falsing and partially masked non-FE targets sound the same. If you're getting it only for "field" hunting don't waste the extra cash getting the LTD.

I'd suggest putting your E-Trac in ferrous tones, opening up the screen, and using a smaller coil. Then if you're still convinced, try the F75-lite.

I've also been told the older analog machines with 120 degree discrimination knobs are better than the digital machines at these types of sites. I haven't tried that, but next time I see a reasonable Shadow X2 or Silver Sabre II, I may.
August 25, 2010 12:19AM
Since you already have a Minelab, consider the Xterra 70 or the 705 with a 10.5" dd coil. I have had great luck with this combo in the field and all I do is relic hunt. Targets to 12" are no problem for it. NO Problems with the jitters or EMI of the other machines out there and believe me I have tried them all..........
August 28, 2010 03:36PM
Any detector has a 'detector-specific' language to learn. The F75/T2 certainly have a certain language......and can also be tamed so as to produce a lessor amount of falsing......yet, still not perfect...........as with any machine. They ARE indeed a bit difficult to learn their own specific 'iron nail infested site' language.........but once learned...........results are several hunderd percent above others.