Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lithium Batter question

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lithium Batter question
July 31, 2015 02:21AM
Ok this may be dumb but does a lithium 9 v do anything other than longer battery life for a detector. I was curious I saw where the shadow loses depth at 6 v. I assume a 9 volt lithium is still 9v and does not give any extra oomph for a vlf.
Thanks
Re: Lithium Batter question
July 31, 2015 02:46AM
well most machiens are volateg regulated.. so more power say if the 9 volt battery is putting out 10 volts may not be noticable.. Some untis especially analogs of old you may see a gain..

On the Tejon I was talkign about earlier the extra power seems to help the audio volume a tad if yuor really listening but not necessarily the depth...

On a X5 6 volts would probably do as good as 9.5 volts in my opinion.. save your money and just use good quality alkalines.. and it may of been the X5 stated in the manual not to use the lithium 9 volts...they may actually exceed the voltage allowed...cant remember which one of the machines that used 9 volts said do not use lithium...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 31, 2015 03:09AM
I did not have good luck using 9V Li-ion batteries in my CZ70.
July 31, 2015 08:11AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and it may of been the X5
> stated in the manual not to use the lithium 9
> volts...they may actually exceed the voltage
> allowed...cant remember which one of the machines
> that used 9 volts said do not use lithium...
>
> Keith

Keith,
Wasn't the X5 or X3...manual specifically allows alkaline or lithium, and shows expected life for each;
25 Hours (Alkaline); 50 hours (Lithium)

I know that at least at one time, Tesoro 'preferred' you use only alkaline batteries.
(And the X2 manual only mentions alkaline.)

Another advantage of the lithium that isn't mentioned much anymore, is that they are significantly lighter than alkalines.

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 08:20AM by Mike in CO.
August 01, 2015 11:05AM
What the Lith does do over normal rechargeables is check each cell everytime it charges and brings each up to the proper charge. Many undercharge for much longer life as well. The dang things seem to never drop in charge on a single days hunt.
August 01, 2015 05:19PM
I tried lithium in my pancake batter, but found that it only worked well with Buckwheat.

On the other hand, lithium in my Tempura batter made it all sparkly!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
August 01, 2015 11:50PM
What Keith and I are referring to are NON rechargable lithiums...not Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer rechargables. (Or even the newer LiFePo)

The Non-Rechargable (throw away) lithiums are typically HIGHER voltage than alkaline, but the currenty available Rechargable Li-ION or Li-PO (note also it's LI-PO, not LI-PRO.., for Lithium Polymer) are noticably LOWER voltage than alkalines.

I use both, depending on which detector I'm using. The Troys get the Non-Rechargable lithiums.
Most of my other 9v units get the Rechargable variety, but Cal is right...the CZs don't like the lower voltage, and will frequently run down with no warning and leave you stranded mid-hunt.
(So it's either the non-rechargable lithiums, or alkalines for the CZs.)

hh
smiling smiley
mike
August 01, 2015 11:51PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried lithium in my pancake batter, but found
> that it only worked well with Buckwheat.
>
> On the other hand, lithium in my Tempura batter
> made it all sparkly!

Rick,

Nice smiling smiley

I'll admit it took me a second to get it.

Mike