Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rechargeable Batteries for T2/F75 question

Posted by Idreamin3D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Rechargeable Batteries for T2/F75 question
September 12, 2010 03:12AM
Hi guys. Have a basic question. Does anyone here use rechargeable Nimh AA batteries? Do they work well?

I was concerned that instead of 1.5x4=6v for Alkaline vs 1.2x4=4.8v for Nimh, the voltage is a bit low. I am not sure what the minimum operating voltage for these detectors is, I assume it's around 4.5v? So with the Nimh does your battery indicator start out at a reduced level? Or does it show full capacity? I just don't know since I have also heard that the Alkaline batteries go from 1.5 to 1.2 very fast, while Nimph batteries start low but stay pretty constant up until they die.

Also, what about for the detectors like a Sovereign using 8AA, the difference in voltage is more drastic (2.4v) can a Sovereign run on 9.6v?

Now a question for Tom, why don't they just make 1.5v Nimh batteries? Can you get NASA working on it!smiling smiley

Thanks!
Re: Rechargeable Batteries for T2/F75 question
September 12, 2010 03:39PM
FIRST AND FOREMOST: All of today's modern metal detectors utilize something called a 'voltage regulator' for a 'constant voltage' control. The voltage for today's devices use a much lower voltage than what the total/cumulative voltage of what the batteries provide. This is also to say: as the batteries die (drop in voltage) the unit/device (in our case; the metal detector) will suffer NOTHING. No loss in performance, depth or anything else..... until the batteries start to go below the voltage regualtors output. Then.............the first place that suffers.........is the audio output to the headphones (or external speaker). The detectors performance still remains maximum.

Yes, rechargable batteries start at a lower voltage............but, by the nature of physics design..............rechargable batteries retain a near constant voltage output (albiet lower than Alk batteries)......for their life-cycle/duration. Your battery indicator will start out a bit lower with utilization of rechargables......but will stay there for a longer period of time (at this reduced voltage level). BUT, BUT........OVERALL.........rechargable batteries do not have the full length time of life as the non-rechargable Alk'y batteries.
September 12, 2010 07:14PM
Thanks Tom,

I knew about the voltage regulators, just wasn't sure what the minimum voltage for for the detector was. But I am a little disappointed to find out that the rechargeable batteries will not last as long as the Alkaline. I think it depends on the batteries though, before posting this yesterday I bought a pack of Ansmann AA 2850mAh which should last as long as the Alkalines due to the high mAh level. I didn't buy a good charger yet because those are very expensive and I wanted to make sure these would work in the detector first.
September 12, 2010 07:21PM
Just noticed this post by marxionu:

"Same problem, Changed batteries to 2600mAh rechargables now its ok."

Marxionu, what is your experience with these rechargables? Do they last ok, and do you use a peak charger or a regular. Does the battery indicator start low with the 2600mAh?

Thanks
September 13, 2010 01:29AM
Yes, make sure you get a proper charger with BOTH correct 'voltage' AND 'current' ratings for that SPECIFIC type of battery. Each battery may be different with different ratings...................and.....................for longest life of the batteries............follow the Mfr's suggested recommendations.
qwk
September 14, 2010 02:15PM
I have used 1.2 mah rechargables for 3 yrs now with great luck. I get about 30 hrs of detecting time between charges. The only difference i have noticed is the battery meter stays on full longer, and when you get to one bar on the meter, you only have about an hour of hunting before the detector shuts off.