Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Options for great, old ground

Posted by kilmer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best Options for great, old ground
September 15, 2010 02:56PM
Hi guys,
I have an old picnic ground that I have hunted for years. The last two, I have hit it hard with my CZ3d and made some great finds. I have found the oldest coins in recent weeks. They have included a 1865 two cent piece and several pre-1900 nickels and some great Indian heads. I went back last night with my new 1021 and ran it with the 10.5 coil. I have a lot of iron and nails in the area. I really didn't find a thing in the 45 minutes or so that I searched. I also discovered that the 10.5 is pretty heavy. I don't mind going back and working it with the big coil if this is the best way to look for those coins I have missed. I wondered though about my F75 LTD. I have used it on this ground some but have really used the CZs more. What do you think about going back with the small 5 inch coil and then hitting it again with the stock coil. Which of the two detectors offers me the best chance of picking up some stray coins? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Don
Re: Best Options for great, old ground
September 15, 2010 03:12PM
No question that the 5 inch DD on the F-75 LTD can be awesome as can the 5 inch on the CZ-3D.

Another option: if in heavy iron, I would recommend a Minelab E-Trac-hunt in the relic mode using 2 tone ferrous with a few minor changes and wallah...a great machine in heavy iron that does unmask coins like the F 70/75/LTD's...JMHO...HH smiling smiley

P.S. A Sunray X-5 would be a great coil with that combo if the old coins aren't beyond 7-8 inches (if the soil matrix is stable with a low sink rate)...sure it depends on your soil type too especially mineralization too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 10:23PM by christopher-ohio.
September 16, 2010 01:04AM
After you have cleaned it out with the CZ-3D.......it would then only be logical to hit it with the F75,,, and do some unmasking. These handicapped coins will not sound clean/clear.
September 16, 2010 01:34PM
Tom,
Thanks so much. Your last comment is what I was hoping someone would point out. I went back the other night with the LTD and the small coil hoping to get in past the iron and find a good signal. I also ran the CZ3 and the 10.5 the night before, looking for a good signal. I think now you are telling me that one way good targets are probably worth investigating since this place has been so good.

Thanks, Don
September 16, 2010 09:18PM
A lot of one-ways will be trash.....BUT......(and with a tuned/experienced ear).......a lot of one-way hits will be good targets.