Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

detecting properties listed on National Register of Historic Places

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
detecting properties listed on National Register of Historic Places
October 08, 2015 02:28PM
Curious if anyone here has detected any of these properties

or how you may feel about these properties being detected (or not)

interesting info here:
[www.nps.gov]

Thanks

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: detecting properties listed on National Register of Historic Places
October 08, 2015 03:30PM
I have detected some in my state

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 08, 2015 04:59PM
Talk about giving an elitistarcheologist a shitfit!

I say if its legal, wear it out.

(interesting that the site lists no places in TN)
October 08, 2015 05:52PM
link for PA doesnt work. sad smiley
October 08, 2015 06:00PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> link for PA doesnt work. sad smiley

try this one:
[www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com]

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

October 08, 2015 06:07PM
I have detected a good bit of them....but most antebellum homes in my area are on the national historic register..

found lots of great finds over the years in SOME Of the sites..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 08, 2015 08:27PM
I've got a slew of them with the brass historical markers in the front yard I have permission to detect. I won't post any of the markers btw...... lol Most of these properties are owned by someone and just marked as historical so permission can be granted.
October 08, 2015 10:31PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got a slew of them with the brass historical
> markers in the front yard I have permission to
> detect. I won't post any of the markers btw......
> lol Most of these properties are owned by
> someone and just marked as historical so
> permission can be granted.

My first thought about properties on the National Register was about detectability, especially since it is administered through the National Park Service.
Reading the wiki and NPS web site, however, showed that National Register is more about favorable tax treatment of restoration and upkeep expenses and creation of a level of federal review before listed properties can be condemned for public use.
No protection of the property, whatsoever, is implied through the process of being listed in the National Register.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

October 09, 2015 01:31AM
Just about anything can make it on that list it seems,kinda like "collectors" plates for cars....I detect a few of these with little results. Previous hunters went and did them before it was en vogue to ask permission...

Kevin
October 09, 2015 01:58AM
I pleed the fifth.
October 09, 2015 02:13AM
I detected a winter camp that the landowner registered in the national register. He told me that it was from the battle that took place in the valley, and that there were "fox holes" on the side of the hill. I told him I wasn't aware of any battle or skirmish that happened there, and that Civil War soldiers relied more on earthworks and trenches than WW2 style fox holes. He insisted I go look. What he was calling fox holes, was actually winter hut site indentions in the ground. It wasn't a battle site...but part of the dug in winter camp of the 4th Corps Army of Cumberland. I got to hunt it twice, barely scratched the surface and that place was LOADED. I made a crucial mistake of being nice and giving him a few things I hae found. When I came back, he told me he didn't want anybody digging anymore, that he wanted to leave some stuff for incase his grandson wanted to hunt for that stuff someday. That one still haunts me...because later on, I actually found 2 wartime pictures of that camp showing the soldiers in skirmish formation with the tents and winter huts in the background.