Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Daniel Tn some XS info

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Daniel Tn some XS info
October 10, 2015 02:13AM
I see you have an XS explorer and you have commented on the 1/4 " headphone jack. When I bought my XS explorer I guess I lucked out. My detector came with a little stand that also allows for the use of the regular headphone (big jack). I don't know who made this thing, the label on my is deteriorated. Someone here may be able to better identify and maybe you can find you one. Shouldn't be a pricey buy if you can find one.

Cheers

Daniel after a little research it looks like a sunray stand. Here's a link with pic.
[www.canadiantreasureseekers.com]
Re: Daniel Tn some XS info
October 10, 2015 06:08AM
Thanks for the heads up! That actually would address two issues I don't like: the headphone jack and the lack of a stand. I didn't notice it didn't have a stand when I first put it together. When I took it hunting it kept falling over on its side when I would lay it down to use the pinpointer. I was like "what is going on here" and then it hit me...no stand. By the time I get done, I will have more $ in this cheap XS than I could have bought an eTrac for smiling smiley
October 10, 2015 06:25AM
I think ther stand and adapter were made by Sunray.
October 10, 2015 01:44PM
I had that Sunray stand some years ago when I had my XS, it actually was a pretty nice stand.----As stated, it got rid of two problems on the XS--(lack of) a detector stand & 1/8" h.p. plug receptacle.----Minelab did have a stand for the XS that affixed at the coil (which was a real joke).----With the Sunray stand--no more detector tipping over AND it converted from 1/8" to 1/4" h.p. plug.
October 10, 2015 02:07PM
Its indeed a Sunray stand but hasn't been made in years. Tough to find one in U.S., what you showed must be a Canadian version. Jeff Herke used to make one also that was more durable...Indeed a must for the XS as the coil contraption made by Minelab for the XS just didn't cut it....
October 10, 2015 02:24PM
Minelab's coil thing...is that the piece that looks like a weed trimmer's guard? Haha

I may have to fab a stand up myself if those can't be bought anymore. I ordered a new version lower rod today so that I can use the Hunter coil I got for it. I may even modify the rod/shaft to make it work with the new coils. I see my drill getting some use.
October 10, 2015 08:20PM
That alone is why I prefer the Explorer II.
October 10, 2015 11:10PM
Are you sure 2 numbers ferrous and conductive would be my reason....
October 11, 2015 01:23PM
Well thus far my testing hasn't led to any big advantage to the XS that I have ran across. In fact, it has been sort of the opposite. Especially with the newer ones offering a few of these cosmetic upgrades that is lacking on the XS. I came into the FBS game with a Explorer II and then later down the road, got an eTrac and then the CTX. Everyone has always said that the original XS is deeper and that most still prefer it to the newer offerings. I don't have one of the others to compare to side by side...but based on my memory of them, I'm not seeing much IF ANY depth increase with the XS. So that in itself can be looked at with glass half full or glass half empty kind of way. The good part is...I saved quite a bit of money by getting an older XS that is of no depth disadvantage to the newer offerings. In terms of in field operation/hunting, they are pretty much the same from what I can tell. The newer ones do make things a little faster and easier to adjust and program though. I can make the XS work for its intended purpose but it is going to take some slight modding and upgrading to basically make an Explorer II. By the time I get finished with it, I would have been better off just going for an Explorer II. I'm already out $40 for a lower rod that came stock on the Explorer II, just so I can use the newer coils.
October 11, 2015 02:08PM
Having used the XS, 11, SE, SE pro have to say found some of my deepest finds with the XS however it is much slower than the units that followed...In any case all Explorers are deep but imagine just as with CZ's some may be a tad deeper, lots of variables to consider mainly your area, settings and sweep swing...
October 11, 2015 09:10PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure 2 numbers ferrous and conductive
> would be my reason....
Well then you might as well get a SE as it has all of above and a better pinpoint. Then you can go one more up with the Etrac and both digital and smart screens running at the same time and the 4 tone option. Or the CTX 3030 and its target trace feature. We could play this game all day as with each detector they did add something different other then new decals or color. That is why you have to give Minelab kudo's for sure.
October 13, 2015 05:26PM
Good points Harold, however really getting expensive for the average guy....
How about a lightweight XS to cover all bases bucks wise...Surprising how many XS units still being used by competent detectorists....