Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Early deus observations comments welcome.

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Early deus observations comments welcome.
November 06, 2015 12:22AM
After playing in my test gardern, reading andy's book and tips from you guys and other forums I've been out a few times with it. My early thoughts..... I think I really like, very easy to swing, well balanced and light. Easy to turn on and go but also easy to tweak. Depth is good speed seperation is good too. So I had the XP gmp and I think that helped in learning tones and speeding up the newbie process. So this is my 5th detector this year ( f75 ltd, shadow x5, tdi and the gmp. It reminds me a lot of the 75 when it comes to iron wrapping back in the high 90's and giving a good tone ( that is one thing I can't stand and hope I can figure out how to stop this). I saw where you can change tones on the high 90 s and turn it back to low tones which is nice but is that the best thing to do? Maybe I'll just learn the difference. I don't think the gmp did this as bad.... It seems like it just grunted iron. Do you guys have any tips on this???? I love the wireless and how compact it is. I took it to the nastiest of nasty places today for an hour and had no trouble separating targets. It was so bad I could not find a spot to pump for GB. Next question on GB what do you guys do? The places I've been on the bar on the right is usually about a third or less. I think the default is 90 which seem s to high for my neck of the woods, when I track or GB it seems to be around mid 70s. and the detector acts better and seems to have better depth. How do you guys run your GB ? I know the deus is old news but I'd love to hear your tips. Thanks
Re: Early deus observations comments welcome.
November 06, 2015 12:47AM
Well it seems like you are on your way.

As far as the iron wrap. Here are some tips. Listen to the tone produced while over it. You could say get some old iron you may have dug previously to test. What you will notice is when over medium/large iron, the tone that comes in, comes in fast and is raspy sounding---not smooth. You can even compare to aluminum can or coin and you will hear the difference.

When you hit say a coin---tone ramps up gradual and ramps down gradual---iron don't

Now I'm not going to pull your leg and tell you I don't dig small/medium iron occasionally-- I do.

You can always use pinpoint to check size too.

Iron wrap will read 94 a lot of times----So will some good high conductors. So trying to put some of the 90's into low tone=bad idea IMO

As far as GB. You can try pumping method. You can use tracking and see where your detector goes--then set it to manual, maybe a few points lower if open field hunting. In iron pits I just dial to around 86 and hunt.

Fringe deep coins--chasing them will sometimes yield iron; especially the old square nails.

On the fringe depth targets, don't expect to hear a full fledged tone. What you will hear is a soft smooth ramp up of tone and a smooth let down. When swept many times with somewhat consistent/correct/more ideal sweep speed it will be pretty consistent. Keeping your audio turned up slightly more than average may help you hear easier. Once you hear and dig a couple you won't forget the sound-----almost sounds like a slight rise and fall of threshold at times.

The horseshoe is a good guide---seeing the right sliver show up is a good sign. TID may read anything in the mid to high 90s. Deep nickels will yield high tone even though shallower they give the tone you have assigned to them.

Also forgot to say, another trick and Deus seems to respond to this better than most detectors. If you suspect medium/large iron. Stick your shove in beside it remove and resweep. Many times the vibration/movement will cause the iron then to respond correctly on the Deus---disc out or is broken. With nails a disc setting between 6 and 6.6 seems to work for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 12:56AM by tnsharpshooter.
c t
November 06, 2015 01:07AM
Hello heres what i do when im unsure of a target if its iron as you approach the target you will get a low grunt before it falses high same thing happens as you approach bottlecaps i use full tones and 98 percent of the time i wont be fooled you can also run the xy screen its pretty darn good to about 7 ins i always use pumping gb and react 2 silencer -1 disc 1-6 depending the beauty of the deus is with every new update it becomes better its like a whole new machine it may have been around a few yrs but never old news nothing else like it out there yet HH c t
November 06, 2015 01:15AM
One other tip. I've been guilty of this. Let's say your sweeping and get a faint high tone---like I talked about above. When you are sweeping you notice your mineral index meter rises. Don't let this lure you into thinking your target is iron. I've noticed this many times on deep good coins/targets. It seems Deus sometimes sees deep targets as ground anomaly hence the meter rise....
November 06, 2015 04:29AM
Take your Deus to 3 or 4 areas of town (your yard, a park, a field that's cleaner/not so iron infested, and maybe like some woods)

do a pumping GB in all of these places and find the avg. GB # between them all

then - when you're on a site that you can't pump to GB - set it manually to the avg. #

that's what I do with a Deus here --- my soil runs between 84 to 86 for an avg. so I run 85 when I have to manually GB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the "iron wrap around"

running in 18 kH swinging along and WHAM = you get that classic great sounding hit reading at 93/94 on screen and it's deep but you just aren't sure if it's iron or maybe a silver dollar!?

Hit the menu button and drop the freq. into 4 kH and then go back to the main screen

IF your numbers DROP from say 93/94 to somewhere like 85/86 (or even lower) then you KNOW you have a non-ferrous target and you DIG!
(but - if the numbers stay the same or rise = IRON)!

This tip is actually IN Andy's book and it works 99.9% of the time = BEST way to tell if it's iron or not that I've ever seen on ANY machine.

I found a Barber 1/4 that looks almost as new as the day it was minted using this technique at about 10'' deep grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 04:33AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
November 06, 2015 09:04AM
Bflo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I really like, very easy to
> swing, well balanced and light.

It probably is the worst balanced detector on the market winking smiley.
November 06, 2015 04:27PM
I'll definitely try these tips. So I've had my numbers for each frequency set as ID norm. MRH do you leave yours set for different frequencies? I can see the benefit to turn that back off if it works that good.
November 06, 2015 04:46PM
You will want to leave ID norm OFF. This way different metals will respond with different---except for what MRH was giving you to ID Iron.

You will also find MRH's tip works pretty good for those pesky bottlecaps---lots of times they will be rejected in 4khz.

Coil sweep and coil position technique with how the target sounds on the edges also helps with bottle cap ID.

I have used what MRH has recommended, but with some experience---med/large iron can be ID via audio clarity and the way it comes in. But if I were at a point where I was puzzled----yes MRH's recommendation is a good one for me.

With all the iron in the ground in my sites/area, I'd wear the touch pads out on my remote if I used MRH's recommendation on all iron wrap signals.

Besides sometimes if I'm in an old site, I will dig these iron wrap signals---lots of times some old nice iron relics..

Ask Lawrenzo, he knows---he digs all I think. But as of late he has been dodging his Deus for Racer.

Looking forward to seeing what you find in the future..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 04:53PM by tnsharpshooter.
November 06, 2015 08:42PM
Like TNSS said above = I leave ID norm off (you have to in order for that tip/trick to work)

but then again - I also hunt mainly by sound anyway --- I only reference the screen/numbers now and then if I have an "iffy" type signal mostly

You'll get used to the iron tones/wrap around and be able to tell most times if you're dealing with med/large iron or not and steel bottle caps just by the sound and the way it hits on the approach and departure/passing over of the target

you'll only need to use that tip now and then on the really iffy deep signals mainly but it takes a while to learn the machine that well

the Deus is actually good at finding cool old iron relics IF you're looking for them/want to dig em!

Good luck and keep us posted with your finds/progress thumbs down
November 06, 2015 10:58PM
I'm changing back to standard model. Usually if something is to good to be true ( you know the saying) or there are trade offs involved. I wish I had this kind of help back in 99 when I was pretty new to detecting and then bought the beast of a machine to figure out the mine lab explorer.