Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tejon

Posted by Leeinsc 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tejon
November 13, 2015 01:02PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have learned so much from you guys. You are all an incredible resource for a relative noobie like me(4 years ). Question for Keith and the Tejon experts. Bought Gunnar's Tejon and am going to give it a test run on an organized hunt on very mild coastal soil. Site is a rev. and civil war camp and fort. Don't think it has been hunted so could be outstanding. Does the Tejon offer any advantages over my T2 for this hunt? Don't think I have any questions on set up as I have read most of your posts and have several Tesoros so I am familiar with the Tesoro language. But I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks Leeinsc
Re: Tejon
November 13, 2015 01:44PM
Just bring them both. You're synopsis of the hunt site is probably dead on. Not much modern trash at all. Lots of T2 machines will be here looks like. I'll be running a stock coil on a machine to begin with and will have something that goes deep if needed. Been here since Wednesday beach hunting uhh, sterile sand lol. I'm ready to hit some fields and woods myself. Great weather looks like for the hunt.
November 13, 2015 02:21PM
Thanks Jack. Looking forward to meeting you and making new hunting friends. I will have both and a 5900. From what I have read, it is very deep in all metal if you can run it hot. Think conditions may allow just this.
November 13, 2015 05:42PM
Hey Leeinsc,
Good luck in the hunt! Since no expert has volunteered a "how to" (Jack is right on about bringing all potentially needed tools), here is my 2 cents from a West Coast mid level digger and the experts can correct as needed! I make my living stating the obvious so forgive me if these tips don't hit a 10 on the Richter Scale.
Hunts are a super time compression you need to be quick to decide where and how to hunt and recover targets rapidly. It is a test of these skills even more than the virtue of your detector, though that is important, too. Consider how comfortable and competent you are with the detector you choose to use. It is not a time to be fumbling or fuming and a simple machine you know well is far better than a more powerful one set wrong or misinterpreted. Good digging tools and a good pin pointer (good abilities finding a target without one, too) are almost as important as the detector you pick.
Since you asked a basic question I felt free to give some basic response. Please don't feel that I am talking down to you I am really more just thinking out loud (in writing) and trolling for dialogue.
Have a great time and again good luck!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 13, 2015 05:57PM
Good points Tom. It's a two day day hunt on a site I will most likely never get to hunt again so I do want to use my time wisely and not waste I learning a new machine. I will likely hunt mostly with the T2 and pick the guys brains at lunch for tips on the new toy.
November 13, 2015 06:45PM
Take both but the T2 is at home on that type of hunt,T.I.D info will be awesome for finding say bullets because they will I.D very close every time .
November 16, 2015 04:52AM
Ground balance negative in disc for max depth
November 16, 2015 06:50AM
The advantage the Tejon will have over your T2 will be Unmasking.

Depth can be awesome/Deeper too if Power Balanced.

In dense iron with the 5.75 C. the Tejon will pick through iron VERY VERY well.Just learn the ticks and pops in iron.. listen for the smooth ones...the abrubt ones are falsing..just use nail reject..it will be somewhere on the FOIL word on your disc..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 16, 2015 10:34PM
Here's an update. Ran the Tejon on an organized hunt this past weekend and it ran like a champ. Loved it. Ground balance was just as easy as the Bandido. I'm sure it gets touchy in more harsh ground. Ran sensitivity in the red just short of chatter. Just disc between iron and foil. Set alt disc just below nickel and dug everything that sounded the same in both. Fun machine with little of the mental fatigue that the T2 can cause. If I can figure out how I'll post a pic.