Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

questions on omega 8000 and coin depths

Posted by farmerboy856 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
questions on omega 8000 and coin depths
November 13, 2015 01:25PM
Been digging exclusively with my 8000 vs 6 and have had some really good luck lots wheats close to a dozen mercury an rosie silver dimes a several indian head pennies and such but main question is for those that have more powerful machines than this. So on avg I find must of my keeper coins in the 5 to 6 in area. My 1891 Indian which was the oldest and deepest coin I have found in my yard at a solid 7 inches although I did dig a 44 mercury in a very high traffic area that was 7 inches as well. I had the big dd coil on for the Indian and the little 5 in for the mercury. Now in neighbors yard bout same age place as mine keeper coins like wheats from teens onwards and a 42 mercury were running 5 to 6 inches deep. Am I missing deeper coins and older coins or are they just not there? Both farms were established in the 1860s and I've hit my yard hard over the last 22 years have not found any previous 40s silver and nothing silver bigger than a dime. My wife found an 1874 shield nickel around 5 inches with her m6 and near by I dug a 1960 dime at five inches so not really any extra for age. Anyways I guess what I'm getting at is I'm the only one to hunt these two places and assuming there could be older or bigger silver coins there will my 8000 be able to find them? I run 3 tone sens between 50 and 65 not stable much higher with the disc down 0 and I've been digging anything that can make a 40 or bigger vdi number pop up. I realize that the further back I go potentially the odds for coins decline do to smaller amount of people lack of cash ect. So has anyone ever ran mxt omega type machines over a spot well and then came in with something known to hit deeper coins well and really done well? Not just a masked penny or dime but some significant older coins. I gb omega around 60 to 64 most times. Nice loam for a few inches to a foot turning to clay. Also on avg on any given site does say a quarter or half tend to be deeper or about the same as say pennies and dimes? I've never dug a half over 6 or 6.5 inches even my 1895 barber was only just 6 inches. Thanks everyone.
Re: questions on omega 8000 and coin depths
November 13, 2015 03:02PM
Others here will no doubt provide helpful ideas, info, but it seems you have done quite well so far. Nobody can speak for your hunting area better than you. You don't mention trash density, i.e., big iron, nails, aluminum.
Have you been removing all trash as you go, therefore reducing its masking effect?

One thought is to invite someone to hunt with you using a different machine/machines to see what their results are. Do you have other detectorists or even better, a dealer, anywhere close to you?

Secondly, it's your property. If any specific area has provided a more dense good-target-recovery rate, or even better, more AND older coins per sq. ft than anywhere else, perhaps you could remove some of the soil so you would be opening up to detecting the next 7 or 8 inch layer. Then see if older coins come to light. If you are finding IHs, then you ought to be finding silver coils of equivalent age, assuming someone had them to lose. You say your wife found an 1874 shield nickel. That's certainly a positive sign that older coins exist. Is it reasonable to expect that the areas of human activity as they now exist were the same in the past or has subsequent building or deconstruction altered this?

Good luck with your explorations, farmerboy. It's obviously a labor of love.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
November 13, 2015 03:32PM
Tough to say. Don't know your specific region. But in many rural areas there simply wasn't much coinage being dropped, particularly denominations above nickels. In my hometown there are about a half dozen house sites I hunt from civilwar era-1930's. Indians, early wheats, and 3 varieties of nickels are fairly common. Dimes and up are rare as hen's teeth. Then I have a few house sites near the capital where I get a silver on maybe 1 out of 4/5 old coins. Location is everything.
November 13, 2015 04:02PM
Here's a good video.

Remember Mr Southern's soil not the friendliest when it comes to detecting.

Enjoy

[www.youtube.com]
November 13, 2015 07:22PM
Omega is definitely deeper than the new g2 ltd test head to head. G2 separation better, that's all. Omega as for me, the best detector for coins test on the coins diameter 0,6 " brass depth 7 "8" 9 "10" 12 "
[www.youtube.com]
November 14, 2015 01:06AM
I would venture to say......... yes........ older coins are deeper. There should be (at minimum)..... a fair amount of Indian Head pennies being recovered at deeper depths. A Minelab FBS or CZ..... should exemplify this. ((( Can you borrow one? ))).
You can also see what 'era' the trash is ..... at (say) 6" or 7". If it's 1920's era trash....... then............. the 1880's ...... 1860's trash is deeper.
November 14, 2015 02:07AM
You must have reasonably stable soil so the coins aren't sinking that deep.
My gamma will hit my 8" quarter a couple inches above the target in the ground.
Weird though is my Morgan @ 8" is only good for about an inch more.
Do yourself a test garden and have some old dug dimes at 5"-10" deep,
same with other coins.Old ratty coins that aren't fit to be put back in circulation.
Where l live north of p'cola fl I have to make new coin gardens often,they sink fast.
Dug a 1983 zincoln at 7" in my yard,we've owned this place since 1933,I'm 56 and no fill dirt ever been brought in.And the coin looked good so it hadn't been on/in the ground since 83.
Some guys on here out in Cali. report finding 1800's coins at 2" .
Here the rain and fast growing grass keeps the soil soft,and when we have a couple of days of rain the ground turns to pudd'in.
Just two nights ago a bone head tenant of mine drove across the yard and sunk to the floor pans.
Idiot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 02:15AM by supertraq.
November 14, 2015 02:17AM
In Florida its give me depth or give me death.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 02:18AM by supertraq.
November 14, 2015 02:32AM
Thank you all for your ideas and inputs and the videos. Ncwayne, i have photos of the farm back into the forties and numerous farm buildings are missing and some replaced but house has had only one addition and the west south and east yards are basically untouched with some of the original trees. you can even see the previous owner before my dad, name bleeding through on the old typical rural route mail box. i know where the original well was and i have dug over a foot to recover nails bolts other farm or house hold related trash. usually i am using a ppr to recover a detected target find it then scan hole again with pin pointer and keep digging till no more beeps. i would date most of this stuff to the 20's through late forties judging by the broken machinery parts. Do find some square nails down on the clay and week or so ago dug an old axe its unlike the garden variety hardware store kind seen now. Its a single bit but shaped odd that was over a foot and omega picked that up. Deadlift i have to say i am directly torn between you and nasa toms thoughts. my dad always said there was no reason to carry money if they had any which usually didn't happen but on the other hand i see how deep the trash nails and such is and it really makes me wonder what another 2 to 3 inches would give me in the dirt. Tnss i have never tried running the omega in at or all metal like Mr. Southern i will be trying that in the morning thank you for the video i appreciate it! it seems as with all things in life i have plenty of room to learn with this detector! my oldest finds have all been scattered in the front or south yard but from local stories it seems families played in front yards around here facing the roads because no one wanted to miss neighbor passing by with possible news, then cars and telephones came and people moved to the back yards and now most yards are just mowed and rarely see a picnic or party or kids playing as my father said. My finds seem to agree oldest three coins in the front yard up closer to house i get into thirties and on the east side 40's and 50's with the exception of the 1960 dime i found near but thats in the same spot i waited for the bus so safe to say kids waited there in the 60's as well. And nasa tom my dealer is a whites man who despises anything other than whites and the atpro. nice guy and knows whites but i'm just telling it like he is. i had the v3i for three years and i will admit it and i could not connect in any way. i don't know of any one that owns a fisher or a whites around here either. i have actually only ever seen 2 minelabs in my life a 705 at scheels and an etrac at a weekend dealer several hours away. would love to learn more about the czs but the gb intimidates me on the cz as does the menu and adjustments of the mine labs. i also must admit i don't know what "fbs" stands for either! back to the yard i have started from the road and worked my way towards house where targets scarcest and as of this year have started digging anything that beeps just to have something to dig and trying open area up. All for now and thanks again everyone.
November 14, 2015 02:43AM
North of me in sand country we hit 7 in memorials and very little else. even with my mxt and the 10 in dd coil they come in fainter like an old deep wheat and same thing newer pennies. around my area most coins 60s and newer don't hit 4 inches. we have an old dance hall about 10 minutes away and we dig mercury dimes like pull tabs in sports field everything is only 2 to 2 and half inches and we pull v nickels teen mercury dimes there and even several indian heads. I should add i'm only comparing depth not quantity lol! soils vary alot around here. i can't imagine diggin like you have to for most found targets.
November 14, 2015 04:09AM
It sounds to me like you are doing really well. I love my v6 Omega. If anything, I'd say dig good sounding targets with no regard for their numbers. You may be eliminating good coins that are too deep to ID cleanly. At worst you may be removing iron that is masking a good coin. You might also try going back and working tighter overlapping patterns going over the same area at different swing speeds. Couldn't hurt. smileys with beer

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 15, 2015 02:35AM
If you know anyone that has an Etrac that should show you really quickly what you are missing.
November 15, 2015 02:59AM
Omega doesn't have trouble snagging deep coins. If you can run the sens high enough that is. Ultimate coil adds depth to this machine, no question.
November 15, 2015 04:48AM
detecting mo would love to try an e trac. how are they to learn? if anything like whites v3i i guess i will pass and wait for a new machine to turn up that is simpler to run. i had a very hard time with the v3i to many adjustments and i couldn't wrap my mind around what they did and how they would help me or affect performance one way or the other. i am absolutely thrilled with the omega 8000, i was a die hard whites man for the last 20 years having owned 11 models. But if the etrac is simple enough to run and i don't have to tweak fiddle and adjust everything for each site i'd be open to trying one.

Beastdig what is the ultimate coil? how does it improve on depth over the factory 11 dd coil? where are they sold? i thank you for your advice. i'm not doubting you simply curious is all. how high do you find you need to run your sens to make a difference on your sites? i can rarely hit 70 and keep it here. josh
November 15, 2015 05:19AM
Etrac is about as simple as it gets. Turn on, noise cancel, then hunt.
November 15, 2015 05:52AM
Josh,
Once you get your disc pattern set up on Etrac and understand why it's being set up like it is, Etrac from there really a no brainer. The only other problem folks usually face is learning to distinguish iron falses vs good tones produced by say coins. And this falsing is more prevalent when running higher manual sensitivity.

Etrac with stock coil will get you down there. And many times after a little experience, you'll know what your digging--believe it or not down to the denomination of the coin.

Now I won't bs you. Getting the fringe depth targets takes a little experience, but the etrac does provide a cursor, tones, depth, meter. When used together they paint a pretty good picture for when you need to dig.

I will say for the most part in your area of USA, the coins that are not heavily masked down to the 9" level would be in serious trouble, and with a little more experience you can add another inch or so to that depth.

Some good used Etracs do come up for sale at reasonable prices, and they actually sell pretty good used price wise--in case you didn't like.
But anyone wanting to hunt coins---an FBS machine makes the job easy---almost boring at times

Etrac for coin hunting; especially when after the deeper coins vs White's V3i=no contest when it comes to which is more easy to run.
With Etrac=no ground balance ever required- does it on its own

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 06:01AM by tnsharpshooter.
November 15, 2015 06:28AM
13 inch Detech Ultimate coil. You can buy them new from Kellyco. If you can rarely get your gain above 70 then you might not want one. The larger coil will be even more prone to EMI. The Omega goes in to a higher gain right around sens setting of 70. When looking for deeper coins than its higher the better for me. Might have to work in the noise, especially when you set the machine down or you aren't swinging the coil.
November 15, 2015 06:57AM
CZ's are about as easy as you can ground balance,want a pain try gb a tejon.