Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom, 1265X Question/Opinion?

Posted by M-scope 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom, 1265X Question/Opinion?
October 15, 2010 04:06PM
I still have my very first detector, A 1987/88? 1265X. It is tired..I have been thinking alot about sending it in for a go-over and tune-up/repair. I know it's older Tech. but I dont want to get rid of it. It has never been serviced before and I wonder if it a waste of time sending it to the New Fisher? Can/should I expect any improvements with its operating capabilities after a "Tune-Up"?.The repairs are an easy fix I'm sure{Loose box,battery wires etc..}, Its the Calibration{?} and or fine tuning that I wonder about!?..Your opinion here would be appreciated....
BTW, I do have and use alot more modern units{CZ-6,CZ3-D,E-Trac}..so I dont need to buy/replace it with a newer one, Just want to keep the old "Up to Par"..If possible!?!.
Re: Tom, 1265X Question/Opinion?
October 15, 2010 06:01PM
It should not have lost any state-of-tune. Rarely.....do they ever drift. I would see if the unit will air-test a dime to around the 9" - 10" range......and see where a nickel will become 'just barely' Discriminated.

As long as the unit functions properly in this respect.......I do not recommend sending it in.
October 16, 2010 01:38AM
Thank-You Tom....
October 16, 2010 08:18PM
Just sent mine in for repair, headphone plug broken and the called me the 2 controls needed replacement and calib, and ADJ. put a new battery cover on also, get a quote first mine was $95.00 for the work over, but I didn't want to get rid of it either, been my best for years, they also put a new case on it(I sent it in with the detector),came back like out of the box. They wanted me to buy a new 8' spider for it, said the other white one was old but I declined.
October 17, 2010 12:44AM
Sounds very reasonable.
October 18, 2010 09:45PM
Thank-You too Shooter for sharing your experience...