Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold Ring

Posted by mike from Illinois 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold Ring
October 19, 2010 11:24PM
Found what I believe is a woman's wide wedding band gold ring Saturday while hunting an old Chautauqua site (1895-1912). The ring rang up high-tone in enhanced mode and sq. tab mid-tone in salt mode. I know most gold rings ring up in the round tab, foil, and sq. tab icon. I have a man's class ring that comes in high-tone in enhanced and sq. tab in salt. There are no carat markings in this band but does have a hallmark inside with a bell, the letter T in a square,and another bell. Was wondering if all gold wedding rings (old ones) had carat marking? Ring was found in area where I found Barber dimes, Indian Head pennies, and a "V" Nickel and was found with a CZ-3D.
Thanks Mike

P.S. Ring came out of the ground looking like it was just lost. I know gold comes out looking this way.
Re: Gold Ring
October 20, 2010 01:39AM
Yes, gold does not oxidize.......does not rust.

It was not uncommon for older generation gold rings......to be exactly 'coin gold' content/composition. U.S. gold coins are 90% gold and 10% copper (for hardness/wear... enhancement/properties). Your ring is most probably 90%/10%. Another way of saying this is: 22Kt. CZ-3D likes 'coin-gold'.......as you have witnessed first-hand..............successfully. Don't stop....and Congrat's!
October 20, 2010 02:29AM
Thanks Tom:

I thought it was gold but having no carat markings had me wondering. Have been metal detecting for 38yrs and been through a lot of detectors. I have to say the CZ-3D is hands down the best detector for my style of hunting. I only hunt about 3 months out of the year. A month and a half in spring and a month and a half in the fall. This is because I hunt fields where fairs, campmeetings, and Chautauqua's were held. I have had my 3D for about 3 yrs. and have pulled out over a 100 coins from 1841-1911 out of 3 different fields. A lot of these coins have been older Indians, shield nickels(15), half dime(1), 3 cent pieces(2). I know without the enhanced mode these coins would come in mid-tone. Thanks for designing a great machine.

Mike
October 20, 2010 03:56PM
Yes, these are the exact coins that would (otherwise) ID as a mid-tone.......................and now you (1st-hand) get to see just exactly what this detector is designed for. Now find a Half Eagle. You are overdue.