Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Testing your Pulse Induction unit memory....

Posted by Tony_K 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Testing your Pulse Induction unit memory....
January 17, 2016 12:50AM
Hey Everyone, a few of us were talking about the various PI units we've had and I can name em all but one, maybe you can help.

I wont provide my guesses so as not to steer you in the wrong direction.

It was a PI unit that used two 9v cells. The actual unit was a thin solid rectangular slab that appeared to be a block of solid bakelite plastic material that was dark grey in color. It mounted on top of the S-rod which was a shiny silver color, not chrome, but stainless steel like. The battery door was on top at the back end of the unit. You would use a coin to pop the lid off. It had a large logo decal on top.

There as an identical looking VLF version.

I associate the name Ronnie Hyer with the unit. Ronnie had a tector shop in the Biloxi area.

Both units had a white coil.

Anyone remember the name of this unit/company? They were available in approx 1985.

Thanks guys

Tony in NC
Re: Testing your Pulse Induction unit memory....
January 17, 2016 01:28AM
Turtle comes to mind??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 17, 2016 01:34AM
The word turtle comes up here. And a model called a silver turtle.

[www.tesoro.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 01:37AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 17, 2016 01:48AM
Nope, The name was like SearchScan PI or SearchScan VLF.
Or SurfScan PI.

I remember the turtle. This PI and VLF were like a one shot attempt to enter the market.

There were colorful ads in the magazines too.

I am not giving up!
January 17, 2016 02:01AM
Found reference to it here.

I finally found the name !!!

[members6.boardhost.com]
January 17, 2016 02:19AM
Maybe Ronnies was the barracuda..

glad you found it

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 17, 2016 03:31AM
Tony, not a bad looking unit. How well did it perform for you? It kind of reminds me of the look of Sven's Mirage PI machine. Thin and light.
January 17, 2016 04:01AM
Turtle never produced a PI unit. The one's they did sell were made from the mid to late 80's
Search Scan Electronics had three water detectors for sale in 1992 or 1993. They were the
VLF 450, TR 550, and the PULSE 650. If this is the company I am thinking of, the reason
they didn't last long on the market was fear of being sued. The insides were either White's
or Tesoro units. (If I recall correctly, it's been many, many moons)
January 17, 2016 04:02AM
Evening Stuart-

I recall getting the unit delivered while I lived in Orlando and driving straight to St Augustine beach to use it. It was the most erratic unit you could ever imagine. Long story shortened, tge coil cable was reversed in the connector. I reversed the shield and inner conductor and then all was well.

It ended up being nothing special other than a decent PI at the time. I used it for a couple weeks till a tourist asked if he could buy it to use while he was staying at the beach.

Where were you able to see a pic of it at? I have been struggling to locate any info on it, let alone a pic.

Tony
January 17, 2016 04:08AM
Great memory Jeff!!! That is exactly the story. If I had to guess, it seemed / siunded most like the PIrhana by Tesoro but it could've been an early surfmaster PI as well but it reay only had the PIrhana depth.

Thanks for remembering!
January 17, 2016 04:20AM
I'll bet this is it.

[www.findmall.com]

[www.losttreasure.com]

[www.treasurelinx.com]

[compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 05:41AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 17, 2016 06:01AM
Tony,

Pictures? You want pictures?

[www.treasurenet.com]

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
January 17, 2016 06:07AM
If my memory serves me right, I think I worked with Jim Pugh. I lived in Biloxi from 1981-1994 while serving.

I'm glad I got into this thread.
January 17, 2016 06:54AM
Tony,

From the get go, knew right from the start it was the the Search Scan 650. From memory, heard it was a knock off believe from a Whites PI.

This pic is from a 1993 kellyco magazine, have many of kellyco magazines luckily have one with the PI you purchased.

Never owned one, auctally never came across on either.

HH, Paul

January 17, 2016 01:11PM
TNSharpshooter, Wayne, Paul and all the others. Thanks for reminding me if the info I had been looking for.
It was an innovative style that looked good in that timeframe.

it was very nostolgic being reminded of the players behind the product too, It was a difficult unit to describe to someone, it seems not many folks actually owned one, heard of them or saw a picture of one.

I always felt I was adequate for finding info I needed on the net, ALL you guys are much better. It was fun reading the old posts and ads you provided.

Thanks
Tony
January 17, 2016 01:53PM
Tony, I had found the pictures of it on Treasurelinxs. Looks like everyone found it in different places. I like seeing and hearing about the older detectors that many have never seen before.. Stuart