Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus comparison on 10" nickel

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus comparison on 10" nickel
February 12, 2016 01:09AM
Well, cold here today so not real detecting.

I did get curious and ventured out to my 10" deep nickel.
Ground conditions wet.

Deus settings were 12 kHz, sens 94. Ground balance was obtained and locked. So dead on GB. Coil used 11".

My goal was to compare Deus performance on 10" deep nickel comparing full tones 0 disc to disc level of 6 --- 3 tone.

What did I witness.

Nickel in full tones very detectable --- meter reading 00 on all sweeps
Tone was nice and gradual on build up and let down as coil passed.
Tone sound--- not ideally high, rather caught in the middle-- not blunt like iron, not sweet like most shallower conductors

Leaving all settings intact going to disc level 6.0, 3 tone.
Sweeping nickel-- tone broken, coil position and sweep speed more critical.
Here is something interesting---- TID meter flashing 98 on sweeps when tone was achieved..
Tone here when heard with ideal sweep and coil position--- actually more sweet ( higher pitched) than using full tones.

Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 01:13AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Deus comparison on 10" nickel
February 12, 2016 01:04PM
Many Deus users like to notch VDI 98-99 to eliminate high iron falsing so they would hear nothing on that target with those settings.
February 12, 2016 03:30PM
I dug an 1889 seated dime about 5 inches deep on the deus in full tones, 0 disc that was reading 98, in the hole was a flat piece of tin also about 1 inch deep. The tone in full tones with the mix between the coin and flat tin is what made me dig it. If I would have had 98 and 99 notched out would I have heard it?, I don't know but don't ever notch anything out. I believe once you learn the tones in full tones it doesn't matter what the vdi say, I usually leave the remote in the truck most times anyhow.
February 12, 2016 04:29PM
Running any notch creates some risk.

Sort of defeats using full tones to begin with.

Besides like you said Welgund--- it is all about the tone anyway.

If it sounds good or peculiar = dig......especially in a site already hard hunted with a good detecting history.