Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

4800 in some hot dirt

Posted by Tom41 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
4800 in some hot dirt
February 24, 2016 03:40AM
Was able to get out this afternoon for a hour or so and decided to go to a location at work. Some of the hottiest dirt I know of, the pinpointer sounds off on just dirt in there. tnsharpshooter and I hit it a couple times last year and we found that a coin only 5-6'' down gave a iron signal on several of the units we tested. In Factory preset I hit my test garden going over the manual and then headed out. David these came from behind the range house where we did those test.

I want to thank Paul and Daniel for the information and tips...still have a learning curve but was way ahead due to what they shared. After digging the wire I checked and found that preset has iron reject "off" so I put it on 6 and only went after the sweet tones with no cutting or fluctuation of the tone. We have dug many buttons here but they just stopped showing up so that was the last thing I thought I would find but will say the ones I recovered in the past were not near as deep as this one. Would have been a pretty one but got it with the hand digger...my pinpointer went off all around the hole in that stuff. Had to just pull dirt and go from there. It along with 2 buck balls and the large steel ball made for a fun short hunt. Rain ran me off but can't wait to get back.

I've never dug canister shot or the like so not even going to guess on the larger steel ball yet. This may prove to be a great addition to the arsenal. Not even going to mess with the settings untils I get used to it more and learn what each will do at a given spot.

Re: 4800 in some hot dirt
February 24, 2016 04:00AM
Nice Cannister Shot..

looks like a 2 inch..

I can tell that button was deep by the patina!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 04:08AM by Keith Southern.
February 24, 2016 04:04AM
Good place Tom to practice with your detector-- definitely some hot ground.

I'll bet you can come up with another breast plate there.

Nice finds,,congrats.

I would also be thinking about marking some target using your Minelab---- then check them with Blisstool, and maybe experiment with some settings adjustments .

You just might learn something.

Cheers
February 24, 2016 04:30AM
Thanks Keith, I didn't want to say it was until someone that knew chimed in. That button was the sweetest one in patina that I have dug...sure was sick to have tagged it.

David that's a good idea. With you and the way you test maybe you could come down with some of yours again. I picked up a bunch about my units the other times we went. My hunting partner works through the week on my off days and it's a better time to have someone to joke and dig with.

just let me now
February 24, 2016 04:33AM
Tom41 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Keith, I didn't want to say it was until
> someone that knew chimed in. That button was the
> sweetest one in patina that I have dug...sure was
> sick to have tagged it.
>
> David that's a good idea. With you and the way
> you test maybe you could come down with some of
> yours again. I picked up a bunch about my units
> the other times we went. My hunting partner works
> through the week on my off days and it's a better
> time to have someone to joke and dig with.
>
> just let me now

Find us a site/ area with some hot dirt- not hunted out obviously.

I'll come down.

I would like to compare some signals between ATX and 4800.

Tom, I wish we could get a day out with Daniel.
That would be nice and learning- no doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 04:35AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 24, 2016 04:34AM
Congratulations Tom!

And this is just the beginning, it's great to get finds on the first few hunts, this encourages you to continue and try different settings.

Wait till an old coin surfaces smiling smiley Please continue to share future finds.

I'll be using my GPX this coming weekend.

Thanks for sharing smiling smiley

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 04:38AM by Old California.
February 24, 2016 05:24AM
I'm game. I'm now off every Thursday and every other weekend winking smiley
February 25, 2016 01:54AM
Musta been a mighty big pistol to shoot a ball that size grinning smiley

Nice digs thumbs down
February 25, 2016 02:38AM
Had to hold it with both hands! grinning smiley

"Nice digs thumbs down" Thx...I really mean it smileys with beer