Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Small.finds container

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Small.finds container
February 25, 2016 02:16PM
Any good ideas on a small.container to store finds such as buttons and coins while in The field? I've been using one of those round pellet containers which works well unless your hands/ gloves are wet then it doesn't want to turn to open. In the past I've used film containers but , who has those any more and I do t want to buy a roll of film to get one. Thanks for replies
Re: Small.finds container
February 25, 2016 02:25PM
I use an altoids tin lined with foam I cut with a exacto knife. Used to use old film containers with cotton for buttons. Did the job, but ocasionally you find something larger like a silver quarter that wont fit. This past weekend I found a civil war belt adjuster with about 3" of the leather intact, altoid tin worked great. I cut little grooves in the foam to hold coins in place.
February 25, 2016 02:33PM
Updated: These 'turtle' containers are used by detectorists in the U.K, I think they are intended for fishing enthusiasts:
[www.amazon.com]

I have a selection of plastic pots of various types...35mm film holders, a bicycle puncture-repair kit box, a few self-seal plastic bags, and bits of 'restroom tissue' paper ('bog roll' in the U.K) in them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 07:58PM by Pimento.
February 25, 2016 03:35PM
I use old pill bottles and stuff them with cotton balls to separate finds so they won't damage each other
February 25, 2016 04:44PM
I use a small pouch like you could use to keep a small handheld tape recorder or something in similar size.
Has a draw string with the pushbutton cord lock,put a cheap imitation climbers/repellers snap clips.
Works great regardless of gloves or oven mitts if you so choose, lol

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
February 25, 2016 05:42PM
I use a plastic snuff tin lined with cotton for buttons and coins.
February 25, 2016 06:03PM
I've used the round snuff containers for decades...

there plastic now and hold up quite well...Just place a paper towel inside and your good to go..

If you don't dip I'm sure you Know someone whos does...My cousin Gives me bags of those containers...I have enough for a lifetime ..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 25, 2016 06:18PM
No, I have tried to before and the site would not let me purchase.
February 25, 2016 06:47PM
Like Spaceport, I use pill bottles, but I put about half an inch of distilled water in it. As I hunt in salt water a lot it seemed a good idea. I had a couple dozen of these little plastic jars on the garage and was looking for a win win rather than throwing them away.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 25, 2016 08:06PM
"I use contact lens containers: place a piece of wet cotton ball inside each side: works a treat for 'small' items
There's usually a free container inside every bottle of saline solution (cheapest Wally-Mart)"
February 26, 2016 02:18AM
WTenFred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use a plastic snuff tin lined with cotton for
> buttons and coins.

Houston we have a winner,good idea.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
February 26, 2016 02:41AM
I use a pill bottle with water in it for coins. They don't rub against each other and the water helps clean them. HH jim tn
February 26, 2016 04:37AM
I guess I'm the oddball here. I carry a couple small clear fishing tackle containers that I use. It has small compartments/slots to put things in. They are round $5 each. I put a cotton ball in each slot.

[www.planomolding.com]
February 26, 2016 09:51AM
I do similar to Jim in Tn. I am a heart patient and buy 85mg Bayer aspirin in the large yellow plastic bottles. When I chew gum I buy Mentos in the tall plastic containers with snap on lids. I remove the snap on lid from the Mentos container and drill several small holes around the bottom perimeter.
This Mentos tube with holes fits nicely into the mouth of the large yellow aspirin bottle.

When detecting I add about an inch and a half of bottled water to the yellow aspirin bottle/Mentos tube combo. As I find coins/buttons/tokens I remove the bottle from my apron remove aspirin bottle lid and drop those items into the Mentos tube. As I detect, the water gently rinses the dirt off of my finds from my detecting activity, getting up/down and moving about. I can assure you after doing this for several years that none of the finds are damaged or scratched. After detecting or when you and a buddy compare finds, pull the mentos tube up and out of the yellow aspirin bottle. All of the dirt and water drains out of the Mentos tube into the yellow aspirin bottle bottom. You now have visible finds that are semi-clean.
A plus of the yellow bottle, if it fell out of my apron pocket I could find it easily by color.

For larger coins,halfs/dollars or coins/tokens/buttons of suspected high value(has only happened a few times), they get wrapped in toilet tissue and go into my pants pocket.

Just another method and the way I do it.smiling smiley
February 26, 2016 11:41AM
No Daniel, looks like I'm the oddball here, I put old coin in my left pocket.
February 26, 2016 02:24PM
ozzie Wrote:
> No Daniel, looks like I'm the oddball here, I put
> old coin in my left pocket.

Daniel, Ozzie also has a small variation on that left pocket method....dropping coins on the floor of his truck without noticing....wish I had a video running when he was searching for his nice Indian Head a few months ago.
February 26, 2016 03:55PM
"The lads in the UK use 'small tins ( lozenge or tobacco) (usually square shape) with wet wipes or something inside to keep fragile finds 'wet'
While with Minelab, one of our Marketing guys (Timmy Mullins now recently made redundant by Codan) searched the globe for [ a suitable design that Minelab would endorse ] but found "Zip", "Nada", "Zilch"

So the moral of my post is: "Go forward and seek thine own small container! Thou shall not gain insight and wisdom from me!" confused smiley
February 26, 2016 09:48PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> ozzie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No Daniel, looks like I'm the oddball here, I
> put
> > old coin in my left pocket.
>
>