Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racers type or F75 LTD 2?

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racers type or F75 LTD 2?
March 01, 2016 02:40PM
Mornin Everyone,
I have pulled some cool stuff from old and mixed junk with my standard G2, but I can see the limitations of any sort of accurate ID past 5 or 6 inches with the small coil, and using the 11" coil in the tuff mix of old/new junk of farmhouses lived in since the 1700s just is overwhelmed by targets under the coil simultaneously.

I am a bit familiar with a standard F75 as Ozzie loaned me one for a while last summer.

soooo, based on the following factors, please give me your opinions....

My hunting time is spread between farm fields and junk-ridden (old and modern mixed, usually) farm properties.
I have seen videos and descriptions of what the Racers can do when dealing with iron nails and coins, but I normally have lots of aluminum and foil to deal with, not just old nails.
In fields, I want depth.
In junky areas, I want separation of targets.
I got rid of the CZ because the unbalanced weight of it was killing my shoulder.

I will be purchasing only one unit, so help me decide on a Racer or F75 DST...

Thanks.

I
Re: Racers type or F75 LTD 2?
March 01, 2016 03:06PM
Can't speak for the Racer, but I do have the F 75 LTD2 DST model and I can state it is deep, no problem hitting 8" and more deep coins in my ground. It runs quiet and while I mainly hunt old spots with mostly modern trash, with its compliment of coils it handles these sites well. I have one spot in particular that is heavy iron laden, very few nails, but decaying and small bits of old iron, and my 75 handles this spot well. Good luck with your decision. HH jim tn
March 01, 2016 03:21PM
Here is an interesting comparison.

[metaldetectorreviews.net]
March 01, 2016 03:23PM
Since you have already tried the F75, you should have an idea as to your comfort level with its menus, ergonomics, swing, and tones. I have not used the Racer specifically, but IF the R2 performs similar to the CORE, which I have owned, I would say the F75SE DST would have the edge on depth, where the racer would do better in separation. Both excellent choices. As you mentioned the dst, I would highly recommend keeping to that model if going with the F75. I missed many targets with the non dst version due to emi.
March 01, 2016 03:25PM
Rod-Pa you need a 'inbetweener' search coil for your G2. Give the NEL Sharpshooter search coil a shot. It's my favorite search coil. I use it all the time on my F75DST and on some of my other detectors. So far this year I've recovered 81 silver coins, four 14k gold rings and a lot of other neat stuff using the Sharpshooter. I love that search coil!

tabman
March 01, 2016 05:11PM
762x51 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is an interesting comparison.
>
> [metaldetectorreviews.net].
> php?x=351&y=175

Interesting comparison. The average depth rating on a quarter made me question the credibility a bit, though. smiling smiley

I don't own a Racer so I can only go by what others have posted on it. I do like the F75 LTD2 though, and agree with Jim TN.
March 01, 2016 05:45PM
Racer is simple but deadly and deep with all coils..try the racer 2 that can be programmed more for all types of hunting I have had the G2 and the F75 LTD and didn't like them as much at the racer also get the 5x10 coil

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 01, 2016 06:05PM
The depth difference charts on metaldetectorreviews.net are nonsense.

I have used the F75 extensively plus have run it head to head against the Racer. The F75 was a real problematic machine for EMI but the DST version has pretty much solved that.

In lower mineral ground the F75 may an edge for depth but in really bad ground it runs neck and neck with the Racer. The F75 is slightly biased towards digging less trash and so more aggressive at calling borderline targets as ferrous. The Racer is looser in that regard and less likely to call very small or very deep non-ferrous items as ferrous, but will also have you digging more ferrous items if you push it. If you hate digging trash the F75 leans your way. I would rather dig a bit more trash and not miss good things so I like the Racer methodology better myself.

However, I sold the Racer and kept the F75. Why? Feature set. The F75 just has way more options for tones, notch if you want it, and more to where the Racer felt too limiting to me. In the end I felt performance in my soil between the two machine was a splitting hairs thing and so it came down to feature set. The F75 has been one of my favorite detectors for some time.

I thought I had that settled, and the Racer 2 was announced. Not only did the Racer feature set get dramatically improved but the non-ferrous range expanded and adjusted for better separation between id numbers that previously clustered in the high conductive area. I have not used the Racer 2 yet but having used the Racer if it just does the same I will be happy. Long story short just sold my F75 and am in line for a Racer 2.

To mess with you a bit however I will point out that in my opinion the G2 also pushes the F75 and Racer both for performance and so if you are thinking you are going to see some sort of dramatic difference in my opinion you will not. I have a ton of time on the Gold Bug Pro which is same machine as the G2, and did many head to head runs between it and my F75 and again it can all get to be very hair splitting in bad ground. You ground sounds similar to mine as no machine gets good target id past 5-6 inches in my soil. Bad ground compresses the differences between machines and depth differences that people see in mild soil or turf all but disappear in highly mineralized soils. In my ground at least you can hand me a F75 or G2 or Racer or Gold Bug Pro and I will do just about as well with any of them. However I do lean just a bit towards the Racers because I have seen the Fisher/Tek units call too many non-ferrous targets as ferrous that the Nokta/Makro machines will have you digging. It is mostly because of the gated audio response employed on the First Texas machines versus the blended audio on the Turkish units that makes the difference. Again hair splitting however because in extensive in field comparisons of found targets the machines will all have you digging the vast majority of targets identically, and it is only on the oddball rare iffy targets where you can pick up fine differences between the units.

I honestly thing 13 -19 kHz tech has been beat to death and all the hoopla of this mid-freq VLF versus that mid-freq VLF is overdone these days. The only thing that has been tweaked for the better in recent years is target recovery times which has let machines like the Deus shine, but you can give the Deus a run with most decent machines just by slapping on a smaller coil than they make for the Deus, as the current Racer OOR vs Deus 9" situation nicely illustrates.
March 01, 2016 06:55PM
I bought the original F75 LTD and had it upgraded to LTD2 hardware/software. That said, I've put thousands of hours in on my F75, and have made many great finds with it, it doesn't owe me anything and has definitely paid for itself.

I also have put in a ton of hours on the red Racer. It's a great detector. It has the uncanny ability to find stuff, deep and not deep that the F75 simply cannot even see. It's great in iron, gets good depth (depth is amazing when using the 5" OOR coil). I liked it so well, that I have a pre-order in for the Racer2.

If I could only pick one machine, it would definitely be the Racer2. I do feel that the F75 could, in some scenarios, be deeper then the F75, but the Racer is almost ten years newer, and has far better ability to pick out non-ferrous targets in heavily infested iron patches. I feel that the F75 falls down when there's what I like to call iron dust or flakes in the ground causing it to be blind, whereas the Racer has no issues in that environment. The Racer also does very well in mineralized soils and is a pretty darn good salt water beach detector as well. I suspect the Racer2 with it's added features, and deep mode will be a far superior detector compared to the F75/LTD1/2 platform. I'm sure right after I get my Racer2 that Fisher will come out with their new flagship detector and I'm sure it'll be a good one, but until then, I'll be digging up the goods with my Racer2.

HH,
Brian
March 01, 2016 10:15PM
I say get the R2.....you can use my 75 any time you like....I know, it's not the dst, but I refuse to send it in for a lobotomy.
March 02, 2016 04:17PM
I have the Racer and the F75SE with DST. If I could only keep one of them, it's bye-bye F75.
The F75 does great in air, but in my experience, the Racer beats it in the dirt. Depth, separation, blendy bleedy audio? It's an incredible machine and for less bucks.
I'm also finding more mineralization in the soil of newer permissions close to home and the Racer seems to be less impaired than the F75 in hotter dirt.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?