Just me or are others
March 02, 2016 08:25PM
Finding it almost impossible to find a place to hunt. Development, land closer and keep off private property signs are the norm now.
I'm down to little nasty pockets here and there. Professor at uwf college caused almost all of p'cola to become off limits.
I guess I need to start knocking on doors,never did that. No,, I feel will be heard a lot.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 09:28PM by supertraq.
Re: Just me or are others
March 02, 2016 08:40PM
Try some curb strips. I have seen people making a killing on them.
March 02, 2016 08:43PM
supertraq Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Finding it almost impossible to find a place to
> hunt. Development, land closer and keep off
> private property signs are the norm now.
> I'm down to little nasty pockets here and there.
> Professor at uwf college caused almost all of
> p'cola to become off limits.
> I guess I need to start knocking on doors,never
> did that. No I feel will be heard a lot.

Before you go knocking on doors, it pays to research. I was given permission multiple times because I knew when the home was built by checking property records, or that a site was originally a blacksmith shop, etc. I also take my old boot pistol and one of my early 1900s driver's license badges to show as samples of things that are just cool to find.

I gave a case of all the 1800's coins I dug at an old schoolhouse to the current owners and they say they brag to all their friends that they have land historical enough that I detect there. Dunno if it will ever turn into a lead, but never know.
March 02, 2016 08:52PM
Join the club....with more and more detectorists out there and landowners liability becoming more prevalent fences going up along with no detecting signs its getting to be a problem. I guess research is the key as even if you travel sad to say each town has its detectorists also..Not a fan of knocking on doors either as ask yourself if someone knocked on your door would you let him detect?..In some areas it may mean the demise of the hobby unfortunately...
March 02, 2016 08:56PM
PS: indeed tree lines along curbs produce but make sure you get permission of municipality and expect grief from homeowners...
March 02, 2016 10:52PM
I have a decision to make. Today I stopped at a sales trailer. My intention was to ask permission to detect an area where the demoed an old 1700's home and are building dozens of high end homes on the farm land that was part of the home. I gave my schpeel to the lady in the office. She was of bright and positive demeanor and said "Go for it. There's no one here that really gives a hoot". I said I don't want to get into needless trouble for trespassing. Again, she said with a smile, "go for it, no one is here during the weekends".

I think the draw to pull out history will overcome my sense of me doing the EXACT right thing.....agree or disagree?
March 02, 2016 10:55PM
Exactly Dan,I'm a detectorist but can't imagine I would have let a stranger loose in my yard with a detector and a spade wanting to dig holes in my yard.
I'm actually pretty laid back,really,but I would surely have said nope.
Seems like every place I think of someone else has long before.
My plan is when time allows to knock on doors,maybe a pie in hand.lol

March 02, 2016 11:22PM
"I think the draw to pull out history will overcome my sense of me doing the EXACT right thing.....agree or disagree? "

THE RIGHT THING IS, YOU GOT PERMISSION, YOU GOT HER NAME I HOPE, SO HAVE FUN.

"Seems like every place I think of someone else has long before. "

YEP. A LOT OF DRIVEN(TO BE NICE) PEOPLE MD'ED EVERYWHERE THEY COULD AND LEFT NOTHING FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO ENJOY THE HOBBY. THE DEATH OF THE HOBBY SQUARELY SITS ON THEIR SHOULDERS.
March 02, 2016 11:31PM
When you say most of P'cola, do you mean parks, schools, etc , or even the beach?
March 03, 2016 12:25AM
ozzie Wrote:
> I have a decision to make. Today I stopped at a
> sales trailer. My intention was to ask permission
> to detect an area where the demoed an old 1700's
> home and are building dozens of high end homes on
> the farm land that was part of the home. I gave my
> schpeel to the lady in the office. She was of
> bright and positive demeanor and said "Go for it.
> There's no one here that really gives a hoot". I
> said I don't want to get into needless trouble for
> trespassing. Again, she said with a smile, "go for
> it, no one is here during the weekends".
>
> I think the draw to pull out history will overcome
> my sense of me doing the EXACT right
> thing.....agree or disagree?

Ozzie,

If someone walked up to me, full knowing that I did not have permission to be there. I would rather be asked "How are you doing?" not "What are you doing?"

Get the permission first, then you can concentrate on detecting rather than looking over your shoulder. Just my 2ยข
March 03, 2016 12:50AM
Welcome to My World so here I go pointing finger's,But too many in the Hobby Diggin' everything up with Shovels in open area parks. They see all the Newbee's on Youtube doin' it so they say why can't I use a Shovel too? Then We got all the Detecting shows makin' it look like you dig a gold coin every other time out gets the greed in people going who have no love of History or Collected Coins or Relic's or Civil War History in there life. But they ruin it for us guys who have the Passion. This Hobby is in trouble as I see more parks in ''other city's'' getting closed to Detecting also so enjoy it My Friend's as it will come to your home town too!
March 03, 2016 01:23AM
Yep, it's tough all over. I agree with Harold about the shovels in the parks. Seems like common sense to me.

Don't know why some people in this hobby don't feel the need to be inconspicuous.

It's an odd hobby and I knew that coming in. Why draw attention to yourself?

I guess some people still believe we live in a free country. I used to believe that too.

HH
John
March 03, 2016 01:23AM
Bey, I know full well that the sales girl was not in authority to give me permission to detect on the land owned by Toll Brothers. My yearning to save the coins I know that are in that old area may get me into a hassle,,,is it worth a slap on the hand....I may be willing to take the hit.

Hombre, I hear what you're saying....I dislike looking over my shoulder....but, is it for a good cause? finding those old coins and getting them back into the eyes of people who appreciate history....tough one and I probably will chance it. Progress is flopping on little bits of US history...It bothers me horribly every time I pass the site.
March 03, 2016 01:52AM
ozzie Wrote:
> Bey, I know full well that the sales girl was not
> in authority to give me permission to detect on
> the land owned by Toll Brothers. My yearning to
> save the coins I know that are in that old area
> may get me into a hassle,,,is it worth a slap on
> the hand....I may be willing to take the hit.
>
> Hombre, I hear what you're saying....I dislike
> looking over my shoulder....but, is it for a good
> cause? finding those old coins and getting them
> back into the eyes of people who appreciate
> history....tough one and I probably will chance
> it. Progress is flopping on little bits of US
> history...It bothers me horribly every time I pass
> the site.

Ozzie, I will bring my biga$$ shovel with me and keep the boogers off ya...
March 03, 2016 01:57AM
I'll repeat what I've stated before. Every chance you get,pick up garbage(especially when someone's looking!) and WAVE at EVERYBODY! Not just the cop car or the park truck...EVERYBODY! There are a few people out and about that have an influence on things,including detecting,and you may not know who they are. If you appear to be a "friendly trash collecting dude" not only WONT you go wrong,you CANT go wrong. This is assuming that plugs are dug correctly and replaced nicely,you are not doing anything retarded and you're just out enjoying the fresh air. While we are wary of the select few that have to ability to change how or where we can detect,the more likely scenario is that most people really don't care. But we still have to do things according to common sense....including decisions about when or where to detect. The "when" is very important many times...
March 03, 2016 02:42AM
The beach is an exception, tourist and locals constantly replace gold,should see the holidays here,wow.
That big week long rainbow gay & lesbian thing is massive,they picked p'cola as their sausage & tuna fest.
Spring break also brings lots of blitzed kids with their bling on. Our problem here is the beautiful sugary sand is like quick sand for gold.
I'm retired from the power company and after Erin & Opal in 93-94 can't remember now but I took my 4x4 truck to the beach during work hours,badge got me on there to look for transformers,my story anyways and it worked.
Boss said what the hell so me another guy pulled up to the Beach Ball water tower,made it alive the old water tower but not anything else except the old space ship house. I'm ready to lock in the hubs and a CNN news crew wants to ride in the bed of my truck and film,on t.v you could hear my cammed 350 Chevy,lol.

Now to the point,the hurricane had washed a few spot away to hard pan, not the dunes but the dry area where people lay to sunbath to hard pan is 12'-15' down with nothing but soft sand in between.
Point it's not like Cali,nor the entire Eastern coast where the sand gently melds with the water and the sand is hard.
No,here it's like a 7' rise above the water and as stable as sugar with a lead weight dropped in it and then you tap on the bowl and watch the lead sinker or ring disappear.
So the deepest machine with biggest coil would be the thing,minelab gpx series etc.
Because of the conditions with the fast sink rate,it does get damp a couple of feet down and stops fast sink rate then,there should be millions in gold and jewels down there.
Long reply but if you haven't been to Orange Beach Al. to East of Panama City Beach Fl. then you will be in for a little surprise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 01:38AM by supertraq.
March 03, 2016 02:46AM
Good points IDX I agree!

"Bey, I know full well that the sales girl was not in authority to give me permission to detect on the land owned by Toll Brothers."
If thats how you feel, then thats your choice. But to me, you got permission, regardless of their position, as long as they are affiliated with the permission in question.
March 03, 2016 02:47AM
Forgot,there was a Jeep Cherokee on the beach still smoldering because the automatic tranny overheated and caught on fire,totaled the Jeep.
Old red had a sm-465 manual with np-205 trans.case.
No problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 02:48AM by supertraq.
March 03, 2016 10:01AM
WARNING!!!! This is going to be extremely long. There could be a book written on the subject I am about to bring up and by the time I'm done, it is going to be long and maybe on its way to being a book. Hahah Don't worry, I wont charge you for it.

There are still PLENTY of places to detect out there and people that will let you hunt their property. The problem is, YOU are the biggest problem for limiting yourself and properties you hunt. Not the land owner or other hunters. The finger likes to get pointed at other people, and I'm not saying other people might not influence some of the things you guys are talking about. Now that I have your attention, let me explain what I am driving at.

1. Door knocking to get permission for new sites. This is already revealed itself in the posts above so you made this one easy to use as an example. Some of you have already rejected yourself from getting permission and you've not even pulled into their driveway! You already have a preconceived scenario built up in your mind that the people aren't going to want to be "bothered" as some of you put it, and that you will get told no. What it is, is a fear of rejection. That is all. So excuses get made to justify not doing it. What if I told you that not everybody that owns land is a hermit that doesn't want bothered? This one is a big mental issue with people. You can't be shy and your body language speaks a thousand words before anything ever comes out of your mouth. This is a SKILL that people have; it CAN be learned and taught but for some people it just comes natural. The big secret to it, is to make people feel comfortable. The hard part is, you have about 30 seconds to do it in. If you are shy and nervous, this is going to show and it is going to be perceived that you are a shady character that is up to no good. You've got to be polite, confident, and just for lack of better words as I type this...professional. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at it. Timing is a big part in it; and often the best time is if you happen to catch them already outside. There are actually siminars you can attend to get better at this. Well not metal detecting permission, but the same thing applies to it. Especially in sales, real estate, etc. SOMETIMES this can be a curse. That is what my wife and I jokingly call it these days. It seems I can't go anywhere anymore without random strangers stopping and talking to me and I don't mean chit chat talk about the weather. I'm talking stuff that would make it seem like I've known them for years. I can be standing at the gas pump filling my truck up and maybe say hello to the person at the pump beside me and next thing you know, they are telling me all kind of stuff about their current events in life. Where they are going...where they have been. Honest to God truth....the other day I was at the post office mailing off a metal detector. I pulled in the parking lot and started to get the detector box out of the truck and walk in to mail it. A guy was sitting in his vehicle parked beside me with his window down and when I went on the other side of my truck to get the box, I said hello to him and asked him if he was doing alright today; just being friendly. Well that did it. There for the next 45 minutes I stood out there in the parking lot listening to a guy talk that I didn't know from Adam. He had just buried his step daughter who had died suddenly a few days before and must have just needed somebody to talk to. It turned out I had went to high school with his step daughter and knew of her passing; she had a blot clot and just up and died. In our conversation he noticed my box that was now sitting on my truck hood beside me. It had a detector on the box and he inquired about it. I told him I do it as a hobby and we talked a little bit about that. Next thing I know, he is giving me a card with his name and number on it and owns a chunk of property in town by the rail road tracks. He gave me permission to hunt it anytime. I've not been out there or by there yet to even look at it but he was telling me where it was and such. Point is...people will still let you hunt their property. It is just all in being presentable and making people comfortable with you.

2. Are you willing to work to get to hunt a site? If your charm isn't the best in the world and you are still want to hunt sites, there is another option. Put a little elbow grease into getting permission for a site. If you are a handy man, this one will be easy, and if you aren't afraid of working or getting dirty...well this might be your best option for new property. My uncles are big time deer hunters. They live and breath it. God did not bless them with the conversation skill but they aren't afraid of work. They are straight and to the point with their talk. If you think it is hard finding places to metal detect; try finding places to deer hunt. They have more places to hunt than they have days in hunting season to hunt. How do they do it? Well they are HVAC people. They don't have to go to people...the people come to them wanting heat/air installed or for repairs. It so happens that during the course of doing the job, that they run up on people that own land with deer on it. HVAC is not cheap stuff...a new unit will cost a person between 5 and 10 grand depending on what they get. It is also one of those things that is a luxury item that people can't live without these days. So they will get it...but it costs a good chunk to get ESPECIALLY if it is an older unit that goes out. So this is how they got a lot of places to hunt. They would go bring up deer hunting to them and work out a deal on a new unit or repair work, in exchange for getting to deer hunt the place. I'm not saying for you to go into HVAC business but the same principle applies to doing work for metal detecting permission. I remember from the "how old are you" thread that a lot of you guys are retired or close to retirement. You certainly have the time for doing it....so my suggestion would be to maybe invest in a commercial grade lawn mower and equipment and do that during the mowing season. Target the houses or properties in your area that you might want to detect and maybe offer your mowing/land scape services in exchange for hunting their property. Everybody needs a little extra work done around the house; use that to your advantage.

3. While I can understand what you are trying to say by saying be reclusive and inconspicuous in public areas....what you don't realize is that by doing that, you are already singling yourself out as being a shady character that everybody is keeping an eye on. It comes back to the body language and comfort thing. Example...if you are in a park dressed in all black or camo and trying to stay hidden from people's view and isolate yourself as to not bothering people, you single yourself out and people will watch you like a hawk and be mighty uncomfortable/suspicious of you. I have read and heard you guys say in the past, that you don't like being approached by other people while you are hunting. That in itself is another red flag...you make yourself to be standoffish which makes you seem even more suspicious. Like somebody else said in the thread...be friendly. Wave at people. Be approachable. Be nice. Be polite. This puts people at ease and rest. They might watch you for a few minutes but if you act normal and like you are supposed to be there, you will not be perceived as a threat and they wont even know you are there or pay attention to you anymore. Some might be curious and come over to see what you are finding and that is a great time to do some PR with them...and who knows, they might even invite you to come hunt their place if you are good enough to capitalize.

I'll end with this. When I first started trying to find places to hunt, I sucked at it cause I didn't know how to do it. I remember going to a lady's house one day where I had researched a winter Civil War camp on their property. I was probably around 17 or 18 yrs old at the time. For some reason I thought if I shared my research of the property that it would get them interested in the history of it, and let me hunt so they could see what was there. So here I get out of the truck with a folder filled with copies of the official records, copies of a diary from a solider that camped there, aerial photos of the property and marks where I thought the camp might be on it, etc. That conversation was a very brief one. I was so excited and nervous that I fumbled over what I was trying to say and nothing came out right, and then there were all those papers. Being an older person, they did not like how some random stranger could pull into their driveway and look at their property and house from space satellites smiling smiley I got told no and left standing on their porch with a door shut in my face. I was rejected...and heart broken. All that research for...nothing. Fast forward a few years. I had started to learn how to talk to people and such and one day I happened to be down in that area trying to get permission to hunt the property that joined the ladies mentioned above....WITHOUT the papers and such lol. I figured she would be able to tell me who the neighbor was. I go to the door...the same one that was shut in my face. And ring the door bell. I stood there a few seconds and was getting ready to leave when the door opened. It was the same lady. Except this time she had a walker she was using to get around. I asked her how she was doing and inquired about the walker and she started telling me she was still recovering from hip surgery from a fall she took...and she just kept talking. I made mention that I would put her on the prayer request roster at church and hope she healed well. I still hadn't asked her about the neighbor yet...there wasn't room in the conversation for it. Well that did it...the mention of the church. She told me to come on inside that her hip was bothering her and that she hadn't had good conversation in a while. So we go in and there I sit in her house...and for the next hour or so we just talked about things in life. I am a stranger to her but made her feel comfortable enough she opened her door and let me in her house. She hadn't been able to attend her church since the surgery and was missing it. One of her favorite Christian authors had wrote a book that was just released and she was wanting a copy of it as soon as she got the chance to go get it. Anyway I will get to the end of this story. I bid her farewell and left and went to the Christian bookstore and asked if they had the book she had mentioned. They had 2 copies of it left!! I got one of them and swung back by her house and rang the door bell...and gave her that book. She thanked me so much and I was getting ready to turn around and go, she brought up that I never did tell her what I had stopped by for. I just briefly mentioned I was trying to find the neighbor to see if he would let me look for Civil War relics on his property with my metal detector, as there was a camp nearby, and she said to me "honey, that camp is on my property. People come by here all the time wanting to hunt it but I usually don't let anybody do it. You can hunt it any time you want to". She is now one of my good friends...when I stop by her house, it is usually a good hour or more before I can leave and she ALWAYS is trying to feed me something.

The stuff and places are out there fellas. But you ain't gonna get to it talking about how things used to be and how things are so bad now.
March 03, 2016 12:45PM
Daniel that was so well written, with excellent information (along with real life examples) I consider it a short read. - Jim
March 03, 2016 02:10PM
Thanks Daniel. You just made it into my personal library.
HH
Mike
March 03, 2016 03:13PM
Thanks Daniel as I now have some good info on my new path to some good finds.
To many days of getting skunked.
H.H wayne

March 03, 2016 03:52PM
Dan I agree with all you said. Well written indeed!
March 03, 2016 04:40PM
Daniel TN,

Good write up! You are so right about making people feel comfortable by trying to find anything you have in common when making cold calls. I just hate knocking on doors!

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 04:41PM by Fletch88.
March 03, 2016 05:06PM
Well for the record I was talking about Public Areas, But I think you will find more and more people who watch the Detecting Shows sayin' to there self, Hey Self? why Should I let This Guy hunt My Property and find something valuable when I can Buy ''My Own'' Detector and do it myself? Don't mean to Be a Debbie Downer Just sayin'.
March 03, 2016 05:39PM
"''My Own'' Detector and do it myself'' This is a thought that used to run through my head all the time. Truth is, most people don't have the time, inclination, or interest to. I always hear, "I thought about getting one of those". I usually try to discourage them, for the simple fact, if you don't have a real passion for it, you won't enjoy it.

Too many people and videos spreading the idea that, you will go out and find awesome things. It's a lot of hard work and dedication. Who would go out deer hunting, sit for 4 hours, not fire a shot and have say that they had a great day? Only someone who is passionate about it. Same with us. Who but us, would have such a great thrill of finding 35 cents in coins for 4 hours work, and enjoy it?

The illusion of riches being found with a metal detector via 'the tube' and forums, brings in the "smash and grab", giant hole diggers looking for quick riches. This needs to stop. I have a few ideas on how it can, but it aint pretty.
March 03, 2016 06:01PM
I was feeling insecure about criticism for detecting a couple years ago so I spent an afternoon doing the curb strip next to the Sheriff's station (didn't draw a glance) and the curb strip of the school district maintenance yard- on a Saturday a man ran out of building yelling, "Who do you work for?" He thought I was EPA!! Could have kissed me when I said, "Its only my hobby."

Social contacts and connections help. Belong to a service group like Kiwanis or Rotary? I just spoke to the local coin club and belong to the local MD organization. As a semi-retired pastor I have access to church grounds. What groups can open doors for you?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 03, 2016 06:45PM
I think if you actually get out there and knock on doors, you will find not a lot of people even know of a detecting show or what a metal detector is. And probably even less that have watched one of the shows. Again, I think that is just an excuse for not going out there for fear of rejection. It is easier to sit back and let the mind create drama that doesn't exist and use that for an excuse for not getting out there and for lack of finds. I couldn't tell you how many places I have detected where the landowners couldn't give two craps about the stuff we were finding or the history there on their property. I've tried to be nice and let them have stuff if they want it. Some will laugh and say "I don't care for any of that stuff. It's all junk to me". Some just like seeing the stuff that is found but have no interest in keeping any of it. While some do like it and feel honored and greatful that you shared finds with them. The later is ALWAYS an invite to come back and in some cases for me, has resulted in opening doors for more properties. The problem I currently have with getting new sites is my work schedule puts me being off work during the week or early of the mornings...while everybody else is at work. It is hard catching people at home.

As for drama, as I often like to do, here is a good little story about how the mind can fabricate stuff based on things we first see.

A member of the church one Sunday looked around before service started and saw the pastor standing across the santuary with one of the deacons. They were looking right towards him, talking among themselves and one even pointed his way. The guy started thinking they were talking about him and he began rolling all kind of scenarios though his mind trying to figure out why and what he might have done to prompt this. Then the pastor said outloud "Hey Jerry come over here for a minute..." so he does. The pastor says "Jerry, we were just standing here discussing this carpet in the santuary. Over there by where you sit, there is a big stain in the carpet and is worn pretty bad. What do you think about bringing this up in the next meeting and talking about replacing it?". The conversation wasn't about him at all.
March 03, 2016 08:31PM
Maybe where you live, But around here even mention Detecting and you hear about those two clowns on T.V. running and jumping around and acting silly. I go to the local Health Club and as soon as I say My hobby is Detecting or I where one of My factory Fisher or a Nautilus Shirt I got they ask what it is and as soon as I tell them they mention one of those clowns or someone on YouTube finding all the ''GOOD STUFF''. But like I said I wouldn't do it anyway's as not my thing to Door Knock as I hunt Public Property that We ''should'' Be able to detect for free or at least a small yearly fee. Speaking of which I'm sure some have heard Me mention us losing are Cook County Forest Preserve's. The funny thing is Cook County in Chicago is on the verge of BK like Detroit. The local clubs even Minelab as they are located Here Hired Lawyer's to try and Pay by permit to get back in and the County is still fighting it? Talk about a Bunch of Liberal dopes? Here is a way to bring in some much needed income and they are rejecting the Idea? And don't be fouled by the Name Forest Preserve as they are all full of Drug addicts, Prostitutes. Gays, and Gangs. The Liberal Tree huger's probally never even been to a single one as they are full of Trash also. But on the brighter side the next County Over started letting Detectorist back in through the Local Club which I rejoined for 20.00 a year. Not all, But 18 or so which is ton's to Me. But Number one Rule is '' No Shovels'' only ''Hand Trowels'' or you loose your permit and get kicked out of the club. So I guess shovels are a problem after all? So not all gloom and doom I just have to drive a little farther until the Idiot's in Cook County wake up and smell the coffee.
March 03, 2016 09:14PM
I think a bigger contributor to larger numbers of people getting into the hobby is how easy it is to find a metal detector. Not so long ago, a person had to go to a metal detector dealer to buy one. If there wasn't a dealer nearby, people didn't know where to buy one and there wasn't the internet to go to buy one either. Now days, you can buy them at WalMart, Bass Pro Shops, Academy Sports, and of course, buy them online. They wont be top of the line detectors in the stores; but they are metal detectors and they are at such a price range that anybody can afford one. And when they do get one, where do you think they are gonna go to get a digging tool? Well they are already at WalMart so hop on back to the garden center and buy a shovel...then off to either their yard, or the parks to look for treasure. They aren't going to go buy a $100 Lesche or Predator Tool smiling smiley