Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Action Cameras...

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Action Cameras...
March 03, 2016 08:57PM
I have been out of the loop on videos for the last several years. I know some of you guys do videos of your hunts and that sort of thing. What kind of cameras are you guys using? I am looking at getting a new action cam style camera for videoing. I might get back into doing some metal detecting videos. The GoPro things are the most popular ones out there but are expensive. I know there are a lot of companies getting into the action cam market and some rival the GoPro in features if you ask me. One caught my eye on eBay and Amazon as I was looking at the GoPros. It is a DB Power camera which looks like a clone of the Go Pro...only for about $300 less. The videos people have done with them on YouTube make it look like a fairly good camera for the money. You can get them for about $60 and they use the Go Pro mounts too.
Re: Action Cameras...
March 03, 2016 09:01PM
WOW! I was just looking into this same issue! Thanks
March 03, 2016 09:45PM
Daniel

I did the same thing on looking and the price on the go pro turned me onto the SJ4000. The box has the cam and every mount needed but in one package. Only extra I got was a chest and head mount strap. Head mount first but did not like the angle and not being able to see the screen so picked up the chest mount. Came with three batteries. Did pick up the H1 mic for better audio while the camera was in the water proof case. Maybe an option if you want to check them out.
March 03, 2016 10:11PM
Just being doing the same thing over the past few weeks, ie looking at them all. I decided to go for a Mobius Cam, they are the first choice for the Drone lads. They are the only action type cameras that comes with a standard angle lens, so none of the distortion associated with the wide angle lens's on all other action camera's. Wide angle lens's are great for action type sports but not detecting video's.
March 03, 2016 10:33PM
Ringmoney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just being doing the same thing over the past few
> weeks, ie looking at them all. I decided to go for
> a Mobius Cam, they are the first choice for the
> Drone lads. They are the only action type cameras
> that comes with a standard angle lens, so none of
> the distortion associated with the wide angle
> lens's on all other action camera's. Wide angle
> lens's are great for action type sports but not
> detecting video's.

Happen to have a link?
March 03, 2016 11:15PM
TexHunter Wrote:
> Ringmoney Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just being doing the same thing over the past
> few
> > weeks, ie looking at them all. I decided to go
> for
> > a Mobius Cam, they are the first choice for the
> > Drone lads. They are the only action type
> cameras
> > that comes with a standard angle lens, so none
> of
> > the distortion associated with the wide angle
> > lens's on all other action camera's. Wide angle
> > lens's are great for action type sports but
> not
> > detecting video's.
>
> Happen to have a link?

[www.mobius-actioncam.com]
March 04, 2016 12:09AM
Ringmoney Wrote:
> TexHunter Wrote:
> -----
> > Ringmoney Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Just being doing the same thing over the past
> > few
> > > weeks, ie looking at them all. I decided to
> go
> > for
> > > a Mobius Cam, they are the first choice for
> the
> > > Drone lads. They are the only action type
> > cameras
> > > that comes with a standard angle lens, so
> none
> > of
> > > the distortion associated with the wide angle
> > > lens's on all other action camera's. Wide
> angle
> > > lens's are great for action type sports but
> > not
> > > detecting video's.
> >
> > Happen to have a link?
>
>
> [www.mobius-actioncam.com]

Thank you...
March 04, 2016 12:16AM
March 04, 2016 12:49AM
shoveler Wrote:
> [store.driftinnovation.com]

Best on the market right now!
March 04, 2016 02:05AM
Daniel,

I've been researching the action cams a bit lately as I will (soon) be moving into an area with better internet upload speeds. Tom suggested the SJ4000, which looks pretty good. I've been looking at the Geekpro 3.1. Great reviews and super cheap. Here's a link. I'll probably be picking one up in the next month or so. I look forward to seeing some videos!

[www.geekprocamera.com]
March 04, 2016 05:18AM
I just pulled the trigger on the SJ4000 myself. I sure wasn't going to spend the high dollar for a GoPro camera when these knockoffs are doing just as good of a job. I kind of wanted something like this for doing underwater stuff with fishing. My dad just bought a commercial underwater camera for fishing and paid over $300 for it...and it is really horrible. I thought one of these GoPro cam style cameras would work a lot better. So my plan is to put it on a pole and drop it off in the water. They show how you can get the WiFi part to work on your phone with the camera submerged so that you can see what the camera is seeing down there. That should be fun. I don't really see these wide angle lens cameras as being a good thing for metal detecting though. I have my eyes on another camera for that. It is not an action cam but it is waterproof and dust proof. It is the JVC Quad Proof camera. You can get them on eBay for around $200...which is still cheaper than a GoPro style camera but has MUCH MUCH better video and not a wide angled lens. I think I might go ahead and get one of those on the way too.
March 04, 2016 03:30PM
I got a Swann for 90 delivered after watching a youtuber in NJ (surfdigger?) doing some beach hunts.
March 04, 2016 04:44PM
For me it's waterproof camera because the lens won't get dirt in it. Yeah I hold my camera in one hand and dig and shoot and do a ton of editing. I have a lot of short videos coming out soon. When a lens gets dust in it, it wont work anymore and no matter how careful you are that will happen at some point. Water proof with video lesson learned the hard way after two reg cameras

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 06:07PM by Lawrenzo.
March 04, 2016 05:15PM
I use a kodak Zi6 Get them real cheap Easy to upload fi you have a slow computer lol . Not HD I just hold it in my hand does a good job. My boy uses the GoPro on his helmet when he is racing motocross dos an awesome job
HH
March 05, 2016 12:55AM
Daniel good to go. Can I put in the first request for a vid....GPX use please lol
March 05, 2016 05:46PM
Mobius Action cam....it's about the best I've found for the money.
Has great on line support..very clear video at 1080P... it has other settings as well.
Very small and light weight...it also comes with a standard angle lens or you can get the C2 wide angle lens
I've got 4 of these cameras...I also use them as dash cams in my personal vehicles...gives about 2.5 hrs on internal battery at 1080P.
I also use a external battery pack which gives me an additional 24 hrs...if you want a longer recording time.
With a 32 gig card you get 4.5 hours before you run outa room....64gig you get about 7.5 hrs.
Here's a video of a guy using one with a homemade mount.

[www.youtube.com]

PS... watch out for the fake Chinese ones....ask me how I knowsmiling smiley
They look the same but are no where close to the originals quality and you can not use the on line software support....comes up showing it's a counterfeit product when you try to use the software.
Only buy from the sponsored sites...a lot of people selling junk...
March 05, 2016 08:10PM
Exactly why I went for the Mobius, there are so many happy customers out there. The extended recording time was a big one for me, I just never remember to record before its to late, 64gb and an external battery and you can record the whole day. Being so light I plan on mounting it onto side of my headphones, hit record and forget about it till days end.
March 05, 2016 08:18PM
Since the Mobius doesn't have a playback screen, how do you know that you are pointing at what you want to record? I'm interested in the basic model with the standard lens instead of the wide angle/fisheye look. Seems like all of the mounts are an extra cost item compared to the SJx000. Which do you find is the best mount for recording metal detector hunting, and then target recovery?
March 05, 2016 09:48PM
If you look at the youtube video I posted it shows a pretty wide angle with the standard lens..the software program allows you three options narrow, wide and night time.
If you note the homemade mount in the video it will give you some ideas on what you could build....it also velcros to the cuff and velcro to hold the camera to the mount... what I like about his is that it mounts back on the cuff so the arm swing is minimal and you don't get dizzy watching the videosmiling smiley
He also has the camera turned a bit to show his digs after he puts down the detector...it's something you would have to play with to suit your own needs.
If you goggle the mobius site you will see extra mounts and options...they also have a rain proof condom the covers the camera from rain snow and mud...another option.
Once you play with the camera a bit it's easy to aim in 1080P.......in 720P your going to have to be a bit more precise with your aim..just need to play with it.

PS. your answer to how can I see what I'm aiming at.... connect to a laptop after it is mounted in order to see a live feed to verify it is mounted properly....the easiest way to do this is to put the camera into webcam mode, which is easiest done by removing the memory card.

Hope it helpssmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 10:04PM by Whimpster.
March 05, 2016 10:27PM
You can also connect it to your cellphone to see the shot.
March 05, 2016 11:30PM
Thanks for the answers. Would you then just opt for the basic at the $82.95 price? I really like the physical size of that Mobius camera, and have been wanting to get a camera for when I'm out in the field...
March 06, 2016 12:50PM
I have four of these cameras....the standard lens will work fine mounted on a detector...the wide angle will give you a bet more close up.
If using the camera in near field, then the Standard “A” lens would be recommended and focus distance is 10-12 inches (254-305mm)
Standard “A” Lens in 1080P wide = 85 deg./Wide Angle “B” Lens in 1080P wide = 116 deg./Wide Angle “C”/”C2” Lens in 1080P wide = 132 deg.
But I like the standard lens the best.
Both cameras are the same price....the mounting options is were you will pay accordingly.
The cameras can also be flipped 180 degrees as well.
They do make one that can be mounted at 90 degrees also.
If you do decide to buy one.... read up on what SD card you should buy that works well in them.
Better yet go to their FAQ and read up on it smiling smiley

[www.mobius-actioncam.com]

Cheerssmiling smiley

TexHunter Wrote:
> Thanks for the answers. Would you then just opt
> for the basic at the $82.95 price? I really like
> the physical size of that Mobius camera, and have
> been wanting to get a camera for when I'm out in
> the field...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 01:04PM by Whimpster.