Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mediocre MxSport test results

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Mediocre MxSport test results
March 04, 2016 06:47PM
Some MX Sport observations and air test's?

Posted by: Des D
Date: 45 minutes ago

The following was seen today on a variety of metal targets:

Prospecting Mode

A dime sized gold coin at Full Boost Sensitivity 10 - air depth of 7.50”

A one inch meteorite at Full Boost Sensitivity 10 - air depth of 4” but gave approximately 50/50 audio of iron & non iron - It was worse in All Metal @ 3"
Searching for meteorites probably won’t be the MX’s forte like other machines from White’s

Coin & Jewelry Factory Preset settings and Full Sensitivity

1961 US quarter read a dig signal @ 9” - after that a complete drop out of audio - Target ID 85

1944 Mercury dime @ 8” and same as above an abrupt audio cessation after hitting at eight inches - Target ID 20

1901 V nickel @ 8” - Target ID 18
1908 V nickel @ 10” - Target ID 20

1920 wheat penny @ 8” - Target ID 71
1953 wheat penny @ 9” - Target ID 74

Small gold coin 1cm diameter @ almost 5” fast sweep required - Target ID 2 and 4

Gold rings Target ID’s

Small & thin with stones 9ct engagement Target ID 8
Mens Class ring “Butler High 1925” with two different golds in it Target ID 30
Mens 9ct with intaglio stone weighing 1grm Target ID’s of 62, 65 and 67 - depending on angle of the ring in the hand meaning ID will also depend on how a ring lays in the soil
Mens two gold mix ring large Target ID’s of 42 and 45
Mens 14Kt nugget ring with diamonds on top Target ID 22 (read as Nickel on display)

Ring pulls and pull tabs

Full old ring pull read to 9” Target ID 26
Round part of old ring pull Target ID 14
Modern gold pull tab oval shape Target ID 22
Square aluminum color pull tab Target ID 20
Square gold color aluminum pull tab Target ID 20
A second square aluminum color pull tab Target ID 20
Aluminum mouth hole piece round Target ID 18

(NB MX display states Pulltab @ 30)

Euro coins

2 euro coin Target ID’s of 40 and 42
20c euro coin Target ID 62
10c euro coin Target ID 52

NB In 8 Tone settings all 3 coins gave different tones: in 20 Tone setting just 2 tones from all three coins

NB Coin & Jewelry Preset ‘accepts’ copper Euro coins and the audio can only be described as ‘ a trumpet fanfare’

UK Coins

£2 coin Target ID 70 (high tone)
£1 coin Target ID 70 (a slightly lower tone than the £2 in 20 Tone)

50p Target ID 26
20p Target ID 28
10p Target ID 22

NB A slight variation in tone in 20 Tone but in 8 Tone all three coins sound the same

Hammered coin

A small silver penny of Elizabeth c 1500 Target ID 26

(NB MX display says Pulltab)

As to the detector, be wary when connecting the coil as the pins are very thin.
The same would apply to the headphone socket. There's an extra cable in the box to enable use of a non-waterproof headphone: the arrangement can be seen in the photos.

There are no Accessory Coils detailed in the Instruction Manual: however the topic of Coils is discussed hinting "small coils are preferable?"

There are some [ On Screen Wordings / Descriptions that appear on screen but an explanation for them is nowhere to be found in the Instruction Manual. For example. 'wrap' ' hotrock' and others.

It's a nice well-built solid machine and assembly was easy but there was a bit of [ coil washer stretching ] on one side that made it that bit harder to thread the bolt thru.
The camlocks and the metal pins that enable height adjustment were also a bit tight (one locked up) but take it easy and they will loosen up and allow assembly.
The battery locking end cap and detector body each have a line that 'line up' when you've tightened it sufficiently.

Hoping to have a video up showing it in heavy iron by tomorrow night (Saturday) and then onto the beach after that.
I can tell you for nothing that "I'm MX'cited"
wjs
Re: Mediocre MxSport test results
March 04, 2016 09:13PM
I thought those results were pretty weak.
March 04, 2016 09:52PM
Definitely not a steep up in or even matching oh say a bounty hunter land Ranger pro.
No incentive.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 04, 2016 10:24PM
"Come on people...a tad premature to be critical I think?

Air tests based on a unit just off the Fed Ex truck and "indoors"...

I actually think it did pretty WELL..."
March 04, 2016 10:46PM
True

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
wjs
March 05, 2016 12:53AM
I realized this was on the stock settings. I was able to get a quarter at 13" on sensitivity of 9.
March 06, 2016 12:59AM
Be nice to try one at some point...... Give it a field test.

Always likes the quirky audio of the whites machines.... Never really tested any before but done a lot of homework... Worked with a V3I and it's menu mad but very versatile, glad they made things a little more easier for people to pick up and use here.

Looking forward to Keith's video in the test bed and Des D vids also.
March 06, 2016 02:09AM
Les is pretty sharp, looking forward to the live hunt reports.

What little time I spent with mine today, at a park test bed. It's auctally very deep for a single frequency detector. Allot deeper than any of my past MXT and I've owned a few.

What I'm noticing, the MX Sport is deeper on low conductive. Had to bury a deeper nickel (12" inches) because it easily detected the 9.5" buried nickel, and sure enough it hit the buried 12" nickel with a 2-way signal.

The maximum the MX Sport detected a penny, was 9" inches a weak signal but trust me for my soil that's fantastic for a single frequency detector. My past 3 MXT could not equal these results, depth wise a happy camper.

Still, I'm taking to the audio poorly. Tweaked it some which helped but a little more tweaking to go before I'm comfortable.

See some possibilities, especially with prospecting mode. Hopefully it'll handle our tough fresh water sand.

Paul
March 06, 2016 11:21AM
Des........ i like an honest review. But now we will get either critics or fish stories lol. Which makes the decision to purchase a challenge. Des....... what happened to the air test depth on those gold rings and jewelry buddy? Nothing else matters to me.

Dew
March 06, 2016 04:27PM
I would like to add some observations myself. On a DD coil there is the traditional view of one blade down the middle. We all know a DD coil actually has three blades. The middle, and the two outside edges. On the MX sport with the 10dd equipped any sensitivity setting over 50%, the two outside blades begin to equal the middle field of detection. When that happens the three combined fields of detection begin to interact and fight each other. The audio starts to suffer as a result. Now the audio is kinda of wonky already (think of country music jamboree).
When the gain is turned up to report a deep coin, the detector also starts to pick up deeper bigger metal and trash. Even on a sensitivity setting of 50% you will start to get feedback from playground equipment and concrete rebar from quite a distance. I'm interested in reports from big open area relic hunters. This coil hits large metal deep.
It makes me wonder why Whites did not ship the mxs with a more coin friendly coil. Is it because of the mxt relic hunting heritage? I am very interested in seeing how this platform will do with one of Whites smaller coil offerings. Even the 6x10 eclipse.
One more thing, the stability on wet sand in northern California beaches is exceptional. Despite my reservations I am actually very impressed and am looking forward to how the mxs stacks against the AT pro I was using in the past. I can tell you one thing, I can throw the mxs in my backpack and put it together in a sec. Didn't even want to have to change coils once on the AT!