Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

3/20/16 Racer 2 modes some tips PART ONE.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
3/20/16 Racer 2 modes some tips PART ONE.
March 20, 2016 02:53PM
With five different modes, it's easy for some to get lost in options and ideas. Which mode do I use when? Which is the deepest? Which mode provides best separation? Why use all metal? These may be some of the questions floating around in your head.

I look at it this way. i choose a mode based on the type of targets available. I break down sites into two categories:

Producing
Not producing

A site that is considered producing, is one that still has at least clad, or, a new site I've never hunted before.

Not producing, is one where it is very difficult to find coin size targets(coins, bullets, buttons, etc).

I would use 3-tone exclusively for producing sites. Keep in mind, the target identification numbers jump around and can be in both, or even all three tone bins. Also, 3-tone is not the mode of choice when seeking deep coins.

3-tone set-ups i would use would be:

Low discrimination set-up:
gain-as high as i could go
id filter-8
no notch
iron audio-10
tone breaks-34 and 75
tone preferance-250-500-700

So what does this give us strictly speaking common wise?
9-34 is some iron, small gold, foil, beaver tails, nickels, and some tabs at the 250 tone.
35-75 is square tabs,medium and large gold, indians, zincs, screw caps, bottle caps, and copper pennies at the 500 tone.
76-99 is copper pennies, wheat pennies, dimes, quarters aluminum cans, halves, silver, dollars, and iron wrap around/falsing at the 700 tone.

moderate discrimination set-up:
id filter-24
notch-97,98,99(96 also reads as falsing sometimes) to remove iron wrap around/falsing but more can be used as needed
iron audio-10
tone breaks-34 and 80
tone preferance-250-500-700

This gives us:
25-34 is small gold, beaver tails, nickels, and some tabs at the 250 tone.
35-79 is square tabs,medium and large gold, indians, zincs, screw caps, bottle caps, and copper pennies and dimes at the 500 tone .
80-96 is wheat pennies, dimes, quarters aluminum cans, halves, silver, dollars, and some iron wrap around/falsing at the 700 tone.

You can go further with discrimination, depending on what you like. A trashing park(Bill S.'s phrase of choice lol) setting might be like this:

u]Trashy park discrimination set-up:[/u]
id filter-26
Notch- 34-64 and 97-99
iron audio-10
tone breaks-34 and 79
tone preferance-350-550-700

We have a tighter nickel notch with 27-33 with a higher tone of 350.
65-78 zincs(maybe indians), copper pennies, and dimes with the 550 tone.
79-96 maybe copper pennies, wheats, dimes, quarters, halves, dollars, and silvers with the 700 tone.

Got a non-producing site? Don't worry, part two coming up with more tips!
Re: 3/20/16 Racer 2 modes some tips PART ONE.
March 20, 2016 03:00PM
Nice, thanks for the setups. I'll have to try them out when the weather better.
March 20, 2016 06:39PM
I guess those are mostly for parks?

At least on the F75 and Racer1 I've had better luck running my disc as low as I could for better unmasking. Yeah it could get noisy, but it worked better (for me) then a higher disc. I've been mostly hunting at old sites vs parks for the past few years though.

Will be taking the R2 out today in a bit to some old ghost town type sites to see how it does.
March 23, 2016 06:47PM
"I guess those are mostly for parks? "

Trashy areas. after this weekend, IMO, 3-tone unmasks well, but the huge advantage is gained with the 2-tone mode. I will be doing another article.
March 23, 2016 07:02PM
Good info..

You know whats funny in my red clay the 3 tone mode is the deepest on a 9 inch dime..

Its in 3 tone but its more a different Process for sure..different transmit power??Maybe??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 23, 2016 07:22PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good info..
>
> You know whats funny in my red clay the 3 tone
> mode is the deepest on a 9 inch dime..
>
> Its in 3 tone but its more a different Process for
> sure..different transmit power??Maybe??
>
> Keith

I saw that with a freshly buried 11" Quarter. Had to max out the sensitivity to get it but the tone was more solid. 2 tone only hit it from one direction of approach, 3 tone could get it at off angles.

Tom
March 24, 2016 03:48PM
I agree, the three tone does a fine job unmasking in trashy environs. Usually the iron pits I detect aren't so much about depth as they are about unmasking. I have an old c. 1801 site I'm hoping to detect next month that I believe has some deep targets, but luckily not a lot of trash, the Deep mode on the R2 might be good there, might even use the Deep mode with the 15.5" coil and see if I can eek out anything deep.

I found the place last fall, and on the first trip there I passed a really cruddy signal by a bush on the R1, my detecting buddy got the same signal a while later and asked me to listen to it. I told him I already did and I thought it was a pass, much to my amazement he dug a deep (like 9-10-" deep) 1786 1 reale in beautiful condition. That was an eye opener at this site, because except for the few shallow targets, everything else on both his Explorer and the Racer didn't sound very good, like the ground matrix had been messed with at some point, or something unique to the soil. I found a bust dime there that was two inches deep. There were large adobes there that were bull dozed away long ago, I suspect that may be acting as fill dirt in areas.

Brian