Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hey NASA-Tom a CZ VS Musky story for ya

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hey NASA-Tom a CZ VS Musky story for ya
December 14, 2010 10:32PM
..I was hunting undisturbed ground a few years back and came upon a guy running a CZ-6A.....He was around a tree in the wood's digging dropped Spencer bullet's with the case's still on...There .56 caliber and pretty long with the brass casing ...he had dug some pretty deep holes around1-12 inches deep and had about 4 or so in his pocket...I asked him of he minded if I swung his area since he was through and he said sure go ahead well I ended up with 7 more at the 12-15 inch range.....they were just barely audible but for some reason he could not hear them and he checked some of the ones I was digging...

Fast forward couple of year's later .....

I had found an Civil War artillery camp on a hill over looking the Chattahoochee river...I found some crossed cannon insignia and Eagle A button's and such and was finding some token's from a Chicago firm on one side army/navy 1862 on the other.....Well I thought I had worked it pretty good and finds were getting slim so I took a buddy of mine down there and he had a CZ-5 well i showed him the area I got the tokens out of because he was really interested in them.....After digging a couple of Square nail's he got in the zone and managed 3 more tokens out of there at phenomenal depth..Musky just wasn't getting on them?? Then he managed a crazy deep J-Hook at the 14 inch range again the musky was not getting on it...He might of had a hot CZ and if so the CZ is deeper than the Musky??????????????????I would love to run a fine tuned CZ and see what they can really do because I know what the Musky can do and that day I got took to school,,,,,,,,,

Both time's I had the 8 " coil and the other guy's had the 8" on the cz's Dirt in both area's was pretty mild and loamy...both in the alluvial river area on the South side of the Chattahoochee..

think a tuned CZ will out do a good Musky for deep relic's????

I always wanted to find out..

I have seen some poor one's and some hot one's in the CZ range...

Keith
JR
Re: Hey NASA-Tom a CZ VS Musky story for ya
December 14, 2010 11:19PM
Keith

I think you will find this interesting.

About a year ago a friend of mine asked if he could come metal detecting with me and of course I said yes, and set him up with my Musky and 8 inch coil. We went to a park here in Florida and after setting the Musky up and showing him the basics, I turned him loose and walked about 25 feet away and watched him search. He swung the coil like I taught him but he was swinging it way too slow for my taste, and I was getting ready to go over there when I heard his detector beep on some metal so I stopped and watched him swing back and forth on this target about 5 times. I asked him if he was ever going to dig it up and he said maybe and kept swinging over the target making it beep. At that point I shrugged and turned on my CZ-3D and started to hunt. I was at least 25 feet away from the Musky, and the minute the CZ was turned on the Musky stopped beeping on his target. I turned off the CZ and the Musky worked fine. I turned on the CZ and his target was gone again.I did not detect any interference with either detector, and the Cz worked ok but the Musky was useless. I'm guessing that since the CZ uses 5Kz and 15Kz frequencies, the CZ interfered with the 5Kz Musky.

regards,
JR
Hey Jr thanks for that
December 15, 2010 12:14AM
the musky was turned off and on during target analysis ...I knew the cz was interfering with it by a clicking sound in my headphone's...

the token's actually came out of a spot I had really worked hard prior by-myself ......but did check 2 of his token's before digging and I could not hear them ?? Sens maxed zero disc he turned his off while I was analyzing ..I did the same for him...

but you are right !!

I believe his cz was just extremely hot and the dirt in this area really has no need for a DD coil very mild...cz's dont seem to airtest too deep but punch pretty dang good...

I know a man right now who has hunted for close to 17-18 years now with the same one a few times a week regularly and it has never missed a beat and he dig's a lot of relics..

Say's he would not even own a new fisher......

Figured Tom would have first hand account's of the versus scenario...

It's one machine I have never spent anytime with and some time's I wonder if I may have overlooked a good one.( For Relic's)...I don't worry about the deep nail problem ... I like a detector that chases deep nail's....They will get some deep goodies doing that..

Always wondered if the 1270 might be deeper than both also???I know the Musky has a better disc circuit.....

I heard one time that when the Musky was built they wanted to go head to head against a 1266 but offer better disc and I have always felt that's what they did..

I am not talking about picking in iron but just getting pure raw depth in disc mode......Open wood's isolated target's without running all metal and digging everything type scenario...
Keith
Re: Hey Jr thanks for that
December 15, 2010 01:43AM
Keith......................to answer your initial question in the most technical fashion I could find.............your answer is: "YES"!
.....A well tuned (usually a FRL CZ-3D)...... will easily trump the Musky in raw depth. . . . even when the 5" coil is installed on the older CZ's....... vs the larger coil on the Minelab. I just sold (about a month ago) a exceptionally hot CZ to someone on this forum. If you could have played with this unit....... you would instantly realize irrefutable performance resolution.

JR...........To respond to your statement.........this is called: Silent Interference.........which is the worst kind of interference...... as you would NEVER KNOW YOU ARE OPERATING AT A REDUCED PERFORMANCE LEVEL! .... subsequently, would never look for problem-resolution. If you read the article: "PAID IN CACHE" on the home page of this forum...... I explain this phenomenon.