Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A good White's MX Sport read (with link to answers to resolve possible faults)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A good White's MX Sport read (with link to answers to resolve possible faults)
March 24, 2016 08:49PM
[www.detectorprospector.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 07:39PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: A good White's MX Sport read
March 24, 2016 09:44PM
Seems like a fix is in the works
March 24, 2016 10:08PM
"I made a comment on Findmall about waterproof headphones not being on White's website and was promptly told I was bashing White's. "

TOO FUNNY!
March 24, 2016 10:26PM
I thought Steve's review was forthright and honest. If there's issues with a new detector model bring them up!. Mfgs. should be thankful for such a well thought out post and take the constructive criticism as free consult. Whites detectors have held a soft spot for me as well. I hope they come up with a game changer soon. My trx is working great, now design a great detector to go with it please! How about an MXi..... multi frequency MXT in a modern shell. Half the size, half the weight, twice the speed.
March 24, 2016 10:36PM
I would like all MX sport owners who are members here to chime in.

Tell us your experiences--- some who are members here already have told us.

Just maybe if all the owners would chime in--- we may have a better idea if this is a wide ranging problem, or is indeed isolated.

I certainly don't know the real true answer.
March 24, 2016 10:38PM
"What I am most interested in is if people are using the stock modes with tones successfully and having no issues."

I don't see how they wouldn't have issues.

The write-up is well written and thoughtful. I am a big fan of Steve's comments, and only a fool would ignore what he has to say.

I had two white machines so I am not bashing Whites. In truth, the moment I knew that the MX sport was a dud(IMO) was when the video that pitted it against the mxt and mx5. The way it responded, the tone length and the overall sound of the machine(it sounded like a top of the line radio shack model) made me cringe and cancel my pre-order immediately. I know there are some loyal Whites fans out there that don't like what I am typing here, but, if the Mx Sport is the best they could come up with in this new era, then they are doomed.

"How about an MXi..... multi frequency MXT in a modern shell. Half the size, half the weight, twice the speed. "

How about they LISTEN to customer feedback. Well, how about it?(rhetorical question)
March 24, 2016 10:47PM
I'm glad I didn't trade off my MX5 for one...lol
March 25, 2016 01:52AM
I'll keep what I have I'm no longer a fan of most US detector companies at this pointconfused smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 25, 2016 02:04AM
Well I'm a bit confused.

Steve post about the problem( s) on Tuesday,,, and low and behold a fix is in order less than 48 hours.

I wonder what would have happened if Steve wouldn't have got a hold of one of the detectors and used a bit and then posted his findings???

I also think White's should be going after the folks who have purchased the detectors --- not expecting already paid customers to get with them.

This or these faults are being admitted to right after detector release.

And I never did see,,, was or is this a justification to cease sales of the detector until this is worked out completely.

Maybe Mr Howard will come here and explain to us.

And are dealers in fact being informed????

And most important--- what are the markings, etc to signify unit has the seemingly correct software???

So folks can tell the bad from the good.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 02:13AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 25, 2016 02:05AM
Steve did a great review, an honest review from the heart. That really took a lot for Steve to say what needed to be said, my hat's off to him.

I see White's will fix the issues, new they would.

If they can get the other modes to have the same recovery speed and tones sped up like All Metal & Prospecting mode, They will sell a bundle and then some. You'll be hearing positive feedback for years same as the MXT.

Honestly, I feel the MX Sport is a blessing in disguise. I see first hand it's potential with tweaking Prospecting and All Metal modes, luckily these modes work for my type of Hunting. VCO OFF position SAT bumped up too 5-6 with these two modes especially the Prospecting mode transforms the MX Sport into an MXT performer only faster and deeper.

Very excited for White's and MX Sport owners, once they get the bugs out it'll be one neat machine.

Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 02:09AM by Old California.
March 25, 2016 02:32AM
I think they should have a recall. I will pay shipping to them to check it over and fix it if need be. I dont want to walk 2 miles and miss a good button!! I got one and have found some stuff with it, but have never used a whites before this one. I keep getting hits one way but not the other. with not ever using a whites before i'm not sure it is working at a 100% or not!!
March 25, 2016 02:46AM
In a previous thread on this forum,,, I even offered to test a unit--- only conditions were White's pay from and to shipping costs.

It would have been done on my dime-- time wise.

I do have some good units to use for comparisons over targets.

Now, looking back,, they should have took me up on my offer,,oh well.

At least Big Brown and Fed Ex will get even more business it seems.

This goes to show.

I mention also in another thread here--- manufacturers should do pre release data,,, showing test info, environments tested, detected discrepancies with fixes.
This would go a long way in showing potential customers just how much in detail a manufacturer goes, and really cares.

And BTW, I won't do a rose colored glasses article in a Treasure Magazine either.

Not my cup of tea--- my conscience won't allow.

Also, at 10:25 pm CDST,, I checked White's forum MX sport section--- didn't see any reference to any problems as Steve's post suggest with a White's rep responding in his post.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 03:36AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 25, 2016 02:46AM
Best not to be first in line when a new product hits.drinking smiley
March 25, 2016 03:37AM
"Steve post about the problem( s) on Tuesday,,, and low and behold a fix is in order less than 48 hours"

There is going to be a fix? Where was this posted?

This is exactly what I have been saying. Releasing machines at the beginning of the year is doomed to failure. If they released in November/December, this would have been all straightened out and spring time sales would be through the roof.
March 25, 2016 03:45AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Steve post about the problem( s) on Tuesday,,,
> and low and behold a fix is in order less than 48
> hours"
>
> There is going to be a fix? Where was this
> posted?
>
> This is exactly what I have been saying. Releasing
> machines at the beginning of the year is doomed to
> failure. If they released in November/December,
> this would have been all straightened out and
> spring time sales would be through the roof.

If I read correctly,,,,, info was posted toward the end of the link info above by Mr Boykin.
March 25, 2016 07:27AM
Hombre Wrote:
> I'm glad I didn't trade off my MX5 for one...lol

me too!.."see' no real advantage over my mx-5
you can get the mx-5 "wet" just don't submerse it!
i hunt in 2 tone ,so some of the features on an mx sport
are not needed (which makes it more expensive) IF you are
just coin sniping with it!..i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 25, 2016 07:33AM
possum mo Wrote:
> Best not to be first in line when a new product
> hits.drinking smiley

this CAN be applied to just about any manufactured product you can name!
never,ever "bite" the first time out! always wait a while before jumping in.let the
bugs get worked out first,and this takes time!..

(h.h!)
j.t.
March 25, 2016 12:12PM
The one problem I have is with Andy. When doing a review for a magazine why do we have to try and read between the lines? Either the detector is up to standards or it is not. This problem goes back to the beginning of our hobby. The magazines (and there were plenty) were controlled by the sponsors who just happened to be the manufacturers of detectors. Honesty was an issue. It seems it still is. We have the net and forums now so the truth finally gets out. Especially when it comes to people posting videos.

Now I realize especially through Andy's own words that changes are being made to detectors through feedback of testers. And some testers might not have the same software on their detectors.

But I would NEVER expect people to read between the lines. My reputation is more important to me than that. If you can't write an honest review don't write one at all. I'LL NEVER BELIEVE ANOTHER ONE BY HIM.

From Andy's post

Those that have read my reports over the years know how to read between the lines to see when something is being pointed out politely . . . if I write the detector picked up coins down to 5 inches you can read that the depth was not there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 12:17PM by goodmore.
March 25, 2016 12:26PM
I have never bought a treasure magazine-- and I never will.

Fascinating to see him come in behind Steve and post.

Steve and Paul are the real heroes here-- they from the looks of things probably saved White's some loot and even some face.

Who else tested this detector???

Is just having one person -- supposedly independent actually enough???

There are tons of people I feel would actually accept a test detector and use for a while and provide feedback.

Really as long as White's got the test detectors back--- they could be sold as demos later,, so not a huge loss-- shipping costs mainly.

And we all saw the videos provided by the manufacturer,,didn't we??? Top notch weren't they,,, really serious...... NOT

So I am not surprised at the outcome..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 12:27PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 25, 2016 01:13PM
goodmore Wrote:
> The one problem I have is with Andy. When doing a
> review for a magazine why do we have to try and
> read between the lines? Either the detector is up
> to standards or it is not. This problem goes back
> to the beginning of our hobby. The magazines (and
> there were plenty) were controlled by the sponsors
> who just happened to be the manufacturers of
> detectors. Honesty was an issue. It seems it still
> is. We have the net and forums now so the truth
> finally gets out. Especially when it comes to
> people posting videos.
>
> Now I realize especially through Andy's own words
> that changes are being made to detectors through
> feedback of testers. And some testers might not
> have the same software on their detectors.
>
> But I would NEVER expect people to read between
> the lines. My reputation is more important to me
> than that. If you can't write an honest review
> don't write one at all. I'LL NEVER BELIEVE ANOTHER
> ONE BY HIM.
>
> From Andy's post
>
>
>
>

I agree!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 01:15PM by bigboar.
wjs
March 25, 2016 01:15PM
I know that Kenny (khouse) had previously contacted them and made them aware of the problems but I don't believe they were going to do anything about it. They just gave him the typical BS answer. He can elaborate more if he wants. I also suggested that they needed to find some more hardcore testers but of course they said they already had some. Really? How did the MX Sport ever make it to market with the issues it has. Like I said, they need to find some better or maybe more experienced testers or at least ones that will tell them the truth. I agree with you Goodmore......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 01:22PM by wjs.
March 25, 2016 01:16PM
Im fixing to hit a old winter camp with mine, if it is not what i think it should be it will go back to whites Monday!!. Im not walking with something i dont have 100% confidence in. I have 5 winter camps walking distance from my farm i sure could test one for them in nails and such, not many relics left but if you hunt long and hard enough you will find a button or a old bullet. maybe a plate.
March 25, 2016 03:13PM
From Whitres:

"The info in Steve's post is very helpful to us at White's, but when you have trouble with a detector we hope to be your first call. Overall the response to the MX Sport has been very positive. But we have had one other report like Steve's about the audio response. Our engineers are digging in to see what happened and how many units it may have affected. Judging from initial reports- most folks who bought an MX Sport aren't having any problems out there. But we'll see.

You guys know better than most about White's commitment to its customers. It helps us immensely to hear feedback from you, so please share your thoughts with us in the future. Easier to troubleshoot and figure things out that way vs digging through forum posts (though we obviously do that).

The positive reports and reviews don't help us improve as much as hearing about hang ups and problems, but we need to be made aware of them ASAP in order to help you. If anyone has issues with a White's detector, we take care of them. That's the White's way of doing things. And we're only a phone call or email away, unlike some other companies...

Tom Boykin"

You can see from the above underlined, it sounds like an isolated incident. However, I haven't seen any videos, or comments, that support this. I don't think it's isolated. I really believe there is a FEW inherent design flaws.

So the bold statement to me means, that, we, the customers, are the beta testers. I don't like this whole situation. It's the whole f75 upgrade debacle all over again, however, to me, this is worse.

Watch, this is a powder keg!
March 25, 2016 03:21PM
Steve always tells his opinion like it is. Pulls no punches. Agree or disagree he is one of the guys out there ( Tom D, Keith S and others as well ) who takes a unit through it's paces and gives us a detailed response on what they found. Always have to remember they use the detector where they live, places they hunt and what targets they are testing/looking for. That environment is not always the environment we hunt in, so things are never 100%.

I have lots of respect for the guys out there taking the time to test/use new units and give detailed and accurate feedback.

Thanks fellas !
March 25, 2016 03:24PM
"
I have lots of respect for the guys out there taking the time to test/use new units and give detailed and accurate feedback. "

I do as well. I bet Steve regrets selling his v3i smiling smiley
March 25, 2016 03:31PM
V3= noisy,, resulted in software change

Mx5 had something wrong with it tonally-- was that a software fix??

Now the MX Sport.

Coincidence???

I'll bet for example you won't see any flimsy coil ears coming with any Nokta or Makro Detector in the future.

Case closed.
March 25, 2016 04:01PM
That was a great read. Sad in a big way as many were really so open to Whites putting out a nice machine. I'm sure they will have to re-do this one. At least they got somewhere with the two modes and form factor.

Still hoping White's pulls a rabbit out of their hat...

Albert
March 25, 2016 04:18PM
"I'm sure they will have to re-do this one."

What about, do things right the first time, so it doesn't have to be re-done? What happened to QC? No manufacture is going to have a 100% perfect machine out of the starting gate, but these issues are monstrous. At least that's what I see.
March 25, 2016 06:53PM
Thanks for the link TNSS and info steve. I have the cash set aside but am in no hurry. Hope the firmware change is effective. A fast, sparky, VCO equipped, user friendly sweep speed machine with a full spectrum of tones is something few have pulled off.
March 25, 2016 07:32PM
Well here it seems is the official response in this link...

[forums.whiteselectronics.com]

One can definitely see how this could pose possible problems with used units down the road..

Would be interested to know,,, how a person can tell one from the other???

May even be confusing when buying new!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 07:46PM by tnsharpshooter.