Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Silver reading on R2?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Silver reading on R2?
March 25, 2016 11:10AM
What tid are you guys getting on silver coins, the book says 90+ mines reading 71-72?
Re: Silver reading on R2?
March 25, 2016 04:09PM
On living room floor.

Very thin Barber dime. 78
Rosy dime. 81-82
Merc dime. 82
Wash. Quarter. 91-92
Walker half 96
March 25, 2016 08:45PM
Quarters on up come in in the 90's.

Dimes read lower in the 80's..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 25, 2016 09:06PM
Im defo getting lower, 3pence sterling silver 1901 dug today reading 71, though it is a tiny wee coin?
March 25, 2016 09:15PM
Well yeah the meter likes to read smaller stuff lower numbers even higher conductor metal's....as all do..

But usually if its a U.S. quarter size piece of silver it will read above 90...in other countries like yours that would be a coin a coin 24 MM and larger..

The manual was more or less generalizing I would suspect...

As most modern copper and even older copper should be in the 80s..But again not 100 percent accurate..

Just like iron can by size read anywhere...Not just below 10..

But your meter is Right...Just Know how to interpret it..

and when you do see a 90+ Be Ready for hopefully a Nice larger Prize!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 25, 2016 09:41PM
These coins are small when i stack 3 of these coins on top of each other i only get a reading of 81 lol
March 25, 2016 10:07PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quarters on up come in in the 90's.
>
> Dimes read lower in the 80's..
>
> Keith

by definition the silver dimes would read same as copper penny (ideally) so low 80's for both correct....
March 25, 2016 10:32PM
Im at work right now canslaw...But Heres some quick info ..

80 on Copper lincoln cent...82 or so on Dime..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 26, 2016 12:51AM
I saw a nice spread between a wheatie and a barber dime (with a fair amount of wear to boot). Always nice to be able to differentiate silver dimes from copper pennies IMHO. YMMV in the dirt though.
March 26, 2016 08:02PM
I pulled out a 1820s silver george 1V shilling today, gave a high 80s. Well happy as it's been the best signal yet from the R2.
It rained heavy here overnight and i found the racer ran quieter than yesterday? I can run at 99 gain no problem but im also getting 3 to 4 bars on the mineral scale which was giving me about 6 inch depth at most on a few test coins i buried?
March 26, 2016 08:38PM
Congrats on the 1820 Coin!!

One thing that can make the Racer run MORE QUIET is if disc is 3 or above 3...when on zero its sparky..On 3 it usually takes care of the extra gain that low disc brings to a unit..

You may of had the disc below 3 yesterday and at 3 or higher today??Makes a world of difference noise wise..Performance wise sort of drops off some gain so be aware when you run it on anything above zero.....plus you wont here the ground mineral report as machine gun grunts..

I use tone break as my disc and leave disc on zero..disc being the ID FILTER..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 26, 2016 09:14PM
Cheers Keith, i wasn't running any disc today but had iron volume at 2 or 3, love that feature as the iron is just a little buzz noise and quite happy running max gain on 2 tone.
Do you think the heavy wet ground was the difference, we had about 2 weeks of fine dry weather upto yesterday?
March 26, 2016 09:50PM
In my soil if I'm getting noise with coil off the ground It usually goes pretty quite when its grounded to the soil..

Did the mineral Index read higher today than yesterday.??

Kieth

-Nikola Tesla
March 27, 2016 12:08AM
Can't remember to be honest, I'll test it tomorrow again, thanks. By the way you miss spelt your name wrong in your last post, you on the moonshine again? lol
March 27, 2016 06:46PM
You'll find silver US coins used in the 'air test' list below:

If you are just urban Coin Hunting, then pick and choose what TID numbers interest you, keeping in mind that modern day trash can very often mimic a Target ID numeric read-out of a desired coin.

If you hunt the dense iron debris places where I prefer to search, then you will know that TID can only be helpful at times, and is an interesting 'tool,' but it does make it tough to sort out the desired targets. Good target masking is more greatly effected in the presence of nearby ferrous trash making TID far less accurate.

Also, when considering where a desired target might read, the results can be altered by not only the presence of nearby masking trash (ferrous and non-ferrous) but also by the target's size and shape, depth, position in relationship to the search coil ('flat' to the coil or at some canted orientation), surface corrosion and/or build-up, and the purity and consistency of the metal alloy mix used.

For example, all of the older USA common silver coins were made of 90% silver, and even if full-featured and in brand new condition, all of the round-shaped Half-Dimes, Dimes, Quarters, Halves and Dollars will have a different Target ID numeric read-out simply due to their thickness and diameter. Then there can be slight variances due to the alloy mixes, or even the prurity of the processing of the primary metal used.

I grabbed the Racer 2 with small coil and checked the following targets from my 'Test Tube' and have the listed their TID numeric read-outs. Targets were moved 'flat-to-the-coil' at a distance of 3" to 5" away from the center axis of the coil. They are not in any specific order, which is kind of how we find stuff, anyway.

19/20 .. Gold Cuff Link

20/21 .. 1865 .. 3¢ piece (nickel type)

24/25 .. Suspender Buckle

27 .. 4-Hole Metal Button

27 .. 14K Woman's Ring w/diamonds in a channel setting

28 .. Woman's garment fastener

31 .. 1937 Buffalo 5¢ (No, not 3-legged)

36 .. Suspender Buckle

43 .. 1858 Flying Eagle 1¢

63 .. Chinese Cash Coin (larger size)

64 .. Sterling Silver Ear Ring (dangling type)

59-68 .. An assortment of 18 Indian Head, Early Wheat-Back, and a 1992 Zinc 1¢ coins.

67/68 .. 1836 Capped Bust Half-Dime

79/80 .. 1891 Seated Liberty 10¢

84 .. 1877 Seated Liberty 25¢

84 .. Campbell & Gabbittas Trade Token, aluminum.

90 .. 1954 Washington Quarter

89/90 .. 1871 Seated Liberty Half-Dollar

95/96 .. Franklin Half-Dollar

96 .. 1922 Peace Dollar

Yes, all of these were 'air tested' about 3" to 5" from the center-axis of the search coil, and all held flat-to-the-coil as if laying on top of the ground. Matter of fact, several of these I DID find on top of the ground, or partially exposed.

Look at the two Silver Halves in RED or the two Silver Quarters in BLUE and the oldest Quarter was found on top of some very muddy dirt in a renovation project in Hillsboro, Oregon. The oldest, an 1877 silver Half, was about 6" deep without any masking ferrous targets near it, in my favorite ghost town that started in 1869.

Targets of noble metals can read quite differently due to the alloy mix in the metals used at that era. Another example are most Indian Head and early Wheat-Back 1¢ coins which are made of the same metal alloy mix as most of the good copper cents before the modern Zinc cent was started in 1981 and consisted of 95% copper. But early wheat-back penniess, from 1909 to about 1920, usually/often have a TID that is lower, close to the modern Zinc 1¢, and so do most Indian Head's.

Monte

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 12:27AM by Monte.