Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cadman about your recent post.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cadman about your recent post.
March 28, 2016 05:35PM
I think a manufacturing defect, and a machine that has a few design flaws are two very different things.

I agree with you. I hate it when people present a machine or a product as "infallible". I have the Racer 2 and I am using it and I really like it. It is a great machine, but no machine is perfect and I will be posting what I found(and may find) that is bad about it. I will be posting about this at a later date when my testing is complete(two more weeks).

Am I bashing Whites by pointing out that their machine has a few inherent design flaws? Absolutely. As a former and potential customer, and as a American, I have a right to criticize ANYTHING I deem necessary. I expect way more from this company.

However, disseminating disinformation, seems to me, to be very wrong and somewhat malicious. I know you are a better person than that.

Is there a hypocrisy, a bias, when it comes to making observations about detectors? Yes. In some ways, we all have our favorites. It's normal to defend what you are passionate about, and that's okay. This type of post creating possible hysteria when the correct information is not even applicable, can cause a lot of bad feelings, and wasted time.

Thanks for reading.
Re: Cadman about your recent post.
March 28, 2016 09:38PM
Beyonder-Pa,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, I appreciate it.

When I first started coming to Dankowskis forum, it was full of helpful, insightful and technical information. If there was any bias, it was towards Fisher machines (makes sense given Tom Ds background). Keith Southern has always had thoughtful/concise reviews of the detectors (if he was just a coin hunter, instead of a relic guy..lol). Tom D would overload my brain with the technical aspects of a detector, but in a non biased way.. Monte has started giving his 2 cents.. actually more like a quarters worth, but always good thoughtful info, never bashing.

One thing these guys have in common, they presented it in a way that allowed you to make your own mind up, without saying this machine is better than brand X....

Now it seems to be changing... Someone will ask about oh, say a a Minelab 705 and invariably someone one will jump on the thread and start saying get a Deus or get a Racer or some other brand (not really another brand, it is always Deus or Racer...lol).

Fanboy is for the other forums...

Thanks...
March 29, 2016 02:17PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Am I bashing Whites by pointing out that their
> machine has a few inherent design flaws?
> Absolutely.

I have to disagree. Pointing out flaws (real or perceived by the user) is NOT bashing! It's telling the truth as one sees it. No more, no less. It's honest. Bashing is biased or prejudicial and more likely directed at the brand rather than the specific machine or specific flaw/problem. And even rants against a brand for a perceived lack of progress in design and development, technological progress, ergonomic improvements, etc, quite often have validity.

Disclaimer: I am not bashing (or defending the bashing of) Whites (or any brand) simply by voicing my opinion that in this instance, it was not bashing. <g>

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 29, 2016 02:58PM
Bashing can mean many things. To me, it meant jumping in on a manufacture when they are down. But I see your point smiling smiley
March 29, 2016 03:26PM
Well,,

Consider the following,,

Mr Dankwoski has stated F75 with boost is deeper than a Makro Racer1 and Racer2 in milder ground.
Is this bashing???
No

If a person sees where a group of folks are seeing a problem with a new released detector,, and post about,, is this bashing??
No

If a manufacturer puts out a you tube about a specific detector,, and folks feel the video really didn't give them any valuable info in which to base a decision to purchase or not,, are these folks stating their opinion as such bashing?? No

If a person has a problem with their new detector they purchase,, and they have a rather perplexing situation they experience,, with the manufacturer in getting their unit repaired,, and posting about their experience,,, is this bashing??? No

If one detectorists likes detector X,, and another detectorists thinks the same detector doesn't suit their needs, and disagrees with the detectorists who likes,, is this bashing,, especially after the detectorist who disagrees goes into great detail as to why???? No

Now, if a person post untruths about a certain detector,, and their experiences are seemingly far different,,, to the point of being unbelievable by many who have indeed used a certain detector,,,and then this seemingly dissatisfied person continually keeps posting the untruths or their supposed dislikes,, is this bashing ?? Yes

If a metal detector forum,, IMO can't operate on the principle of discussing truth concerning detectors, the principles behind,, the quality of equipment, overall performance, and a manufacturer's involvement in the manufacturing, repair, and return of merchandise--- then it is time to shut the forum down,,,, no reason to have.

Try this,, go to a new car dealer,,, let them show you some autos,, while they are showing their autos,, pick just one model,,, ask the salesman what are this vehicles weaknesses as reported by previous customers... Wonder what they will tell you???

There is a term we used while I was in the USAF,, it is called best practices--- meaning when you see something,, a group is doing,, that is yielding surprisingly good results,, be a copy cat,, so you too can start seeing and reaping the great benefits.

And just imagine,, we see Dilek of Makro here posting and giving information about products,, and if necessary diving in and resolving issues--- IMO folks this what she does,, DEFINITELY should be considered by many other manufacturers as a BEST practice,,, hence they should get on board.

And me pointing this out,,, is not bashing all the other manufacturers besides Makro and Nokta--- just my opinion.

Ain't life great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 04:00PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 29, 2016 03:37PM
This is an open forum not like find mall but we try and hold our anger in and express our thoughts in a civil way

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 29, 2016 05:20PM
There are so many things that make this the first forum I look at every morning. I appreciate the dialogues and character of most regular posters. Honest and expert evaluations are the best I have seen and I am on a heck of a lot of forums. BUT I take everything with a critical adjustment and weigh each comment according to the past comments of that individual. Yes some are in a predictable rut, usually for good reasons. Several are brilliant and their comments and opinions demand high credibility and serious consideration. Many I have come to appreciate as 'unmet friends'. Bottom line I am just thankful for Tom and Wally and everyone else who make the best forum going a reality.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 29, 2016 06:31PM

cadman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
When I first started coming to Dankowskis forum, it was full of helpful, insightful and technical information.

Now it seems to be changing... Someone will ask about oh, say a a Minelab 705 and invariably someone one will jump on the thread and start saying get a Deus or get a Racer or some other brand (not really another brand, it is always Deus or Racer...lol).

That's because until about 1.5 yrs to 2 yrs ago (more or less) there were many guys on here that are no longer here (that or they just don't bother posting at all anymore)...

They are/were the long timers in the hobby full of knowledge and experience that you can only get from decades upon decades of field experience - but now - this place has been over run by newbies with little to no field time/experience (5 yrs or so) and in many cases not even that AND seemingly a TON of rejects from other forums that have banned them/ignored them and so they've came here to start xxxx with people here and/or just stir the pot in general.

On top of that = all they do is copy/paste links, copy/paste other forum threads of controversy, and/or repost what the very few left here with decades of field experience have already said in past threads but claiming it as their own --- basically spamming the site with BS

it's become an outright shame/joke combined as these newbies/rejects and their crap they spew on a constant basis over run this forum with garbage and/or their wanna be/know it all BS

that's what has driven many/most of the long time knowledgeable guys off/away from here and why there's hardly ever any good/sound viable threads with good discussion, and valuable knowledge to discuss/share anymore, and why there's so much worthless/trivial pot stirring CRAP on here now.

Read it as you will but it's the TRUTH and many of us here KNOW it is... I mean... Look around... Very few of the long time/highly experienced guys that USED to post here are even here anymore = can't deny that...
March 29, 2016 06:44PM
Wow! Those are some very challenging observations MRH.
March 29, 2016 06:44PM
I like to read about the good and bad about detectors, experiences others have with them.
That gives me a better idea if the detector would fit my needs and or how much of my needs.
And a heads up if they have minor/major quality control issues....resolutions......

No different when buying a car, camera, computer...an educated consumer makes a better customer...........

What's nice here at Tom's, every thing can be put on the table to freely discuss.

Mole hills can easily be turned into mountains, in reality are not.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me