Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Second thoughts and disappointment...

Posted by jbow 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Second thoughts and disappointment...
December 22, 2010 02:03AM
I am ticked off. There were a couple of threads on another forum that raised questions about a possible problem with the AT. Instead of addressing the questions, the threads were deleted or closed. It does not take a brain sturgeon to figure out that Garrett is sponsoring the forum in question and instead of addressingthe question they chose to supress it.

Once a question has gotten steam and a stink is brewed up, someone from the manufacturer should address the question, not supress it. I, for one, will not give any of my money to Garrett until thisis cleared up and the question is addressed. Of course the threads couldhave been deleted simply because of the bile being spewed by one shill.

I do understand the forum's position.

I remember when a question was raised about a FTP detector... Dave Johnson came on the boards and tried to clear it up... that is class, IMO. I will be waiting, I think Garrett needs to address the question. I guess I get a little "worked up" about things like this. People that refuse to answer honest questions remind me too much of liberal politicians... they have no answer so they attack the person who dares to raise a question.

Tom, I apologize for the rant (you can delete it if you want and I will not be upset in the least). I feel a little better now and I may change my mind but as for now... this all stinks to me.

I have calmed down some and i'll still likely try an AT in the spring... I should cool off before I post sometimes.

Julien

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 03:09AM by jbow.
Re: I was going to get an AT-Pro in the spring... I was convinced but not anymore...
December 22, 2010 02:19AM
Julien,

This forum has no sponsors.......so anything can be said without worries of retribution. My only 'rules-of-engagement' .... are that posts be honest/candid/valid/truthful.
Re: I was going to get an AT-Pro in the spring... I was convinced but not anymore...
December 22, 2010 02:27AM
I know Tom. I really got aggrivated and maybe I will feel different tomorrow, it could be I am totally wrong... except about you being unfairly attacked.

It is funny, that thread over there resulted in no information, all it resulted in was attempted character assination, thankfully no one took the nut seriously.

I appreciate this you and your help... sometimes I think maybe I expect too much of people. (not you)

Julien
December 22, 2010 02:44AM
Hey jbow I have been following those posts also and I sort of feel like they were pulled because of the ranting of one poster. I did not respond to his rants because I felt like anyone with any intelligence could see where this guy was at. I will admit that the unkind comments he made about Tom made me want to give an old fashioned rebel yell and really lay into him, but I have seen so many forums go down hill when the people with good information and good intentions leave a forum either for the way they were treated or what the forum had become.
I personally plan on getting an at pro because of Tom's post. From reading how Tom reports on machines it felt like there was some suppressed excitement about the possibilities of this machine which really makes me want to try it.
Also I believe you posted last spring about a book by an Artillery officer in the confederate army, I bought the book and really enjoyed it.
I would rather have a machine work 100% than be crippled in an area that could be fixed MAYBE quite easily...we will see how it plays out with the issue....

Either way it's not the deepest and it's not the fastest but it's a good combo unit...

as always keep a couple of different machine's for your hunting need's

No one machine will be good all around..

for me the G-2 is untouchable in house site's....till something faster with depth come's along....

and open wood's deep relics the 5900 is sure real real deep....

get too many machine's and you become less proficient with your dedicated one's..... 2-3 machine's for specialty hunting is about right....

Keith
December 22, 2010 02:50AM
Yeah... Fighting For the Confederacy... The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander ... it really is a wonderful book. He wrote one on his military experiances too but I have not read it.

I will watch the AT and see how it goes, I am just mad right now. I don't know what Garrett didn't come online and comment. Surely they are aware...

I'll get over it.

Thanks,
Julien
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would rather have a machine work 100% than be
> crippled in an area that could be fixed MAYBE
> quite easily...we will see how it plays out with
> the issue....
>
> Either way it's not the deepest and it's not the
> fastest but it's a good combo unit...
>
> as always keep a couple of different machine's for
> your hunting need's
>
> No one machine will be good all around..
>
> for me the G-2 is untouchable in house
> site's....till something faster with depth come's
> along....
>
> and open wood's deep relics the 5900 is sure real
> real deep....
>
> get too many machine's and you become less
> proficient with your dedicated one's..... 2-3
> machine's for specialty hunting is about
> right....
>
>
> Keith

I think you are right Keith, I tend to buy detectors and then let them sit in the corner if I am not using them. I am trying to think the herd. I sold my SE and have three others I am probably going to sell soon. I don't consider the cheap ones though, i'll probably keep the Compadre and I had someone else in mind when I bought the INCA. A friend who said he waslooking for a minty Inca, so when I saw it I grabbed it. I'll probably play with it a bit though.

I will keep my GT because it was my first detector, the E-TRAC because I love it, the Tejon because there are places where it seems to work better than anything else (the G2 might replace it though). I plan to get a G2 when I sell a few other machines.

You are a big help too Keith. You post your findings and videos... and I appreciate it.. plus Roy say's that you're OK!.. laff

Julien
December 22, 2010 03:19AM
Julien, just remember it is one person spouting off, not Garrett, Inc. Garrett has been around for a long time building good detectors. I believe that they, as a Company, would welcome results and proposed corrections presented by Tom. Knowing that some of the best detectors made have seen his test garden, put through the paces, equally and fairly - then having their detector fair well there, well, that is saying something! Anyone who knows Tom knows how he thinks and feels about metal detecting, and is willing to teach anyone. One man's rant is nothing.

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
Re: Second thoughts and disappointment...
December 22, 2010 04:08AM
I'm not backing either side of the "debate" on the other forum, I have no desire to buy Garretts new machine nor anything made by FTP but when a certain person posts on a GARRETT forum that they are "toys,albeit one" what outcome should he expect?
As far as your post that a Garrett rep should be addressing the posts on the forum concerning the problems maybe they are looking into it before they come out with a statement - time will tell. Also I have yet to hear First Texas say ANYTHING about the HUGE variance of depth issues concerning the CZ3D. How many have been sent to Tom for "tuning" and you can't tell me they are not aware of that issue.
December 22, 2010 08:51AM
Yeah, it crossed my mind not to even reply to that man over at Finds that was really attacking Tom and not talking about the "issue". He did seem off kilter but I started the thread and tried to be diplomatic about things.

As another poster has said, don't confuse Garrett with the posters. At the same time it would be nice for someone from Garrett to look into the problem because it seems like they have a very nice detector on their hands. In the end that is all we really care about. I could care less who comes out with the next great detector, as long as it happens.

It's nice to have a forum with no sponsors who benefit from sales of certain brands. I really wish Finds (because of it's huge membership) would just get rid of the sponsors. We could each pay .20 to cover costs as it doesn't take much money (just time) to run a forum.
I agree with Keith
December 22, 2010 01:31PM
" Either way it's not the deepest and it's not the fastest but it's a good combo unit...

as always keep a couple of different machine's for your hunting need's

No one machine will be good all around.. "

Merry Christmas to everyone
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Either way it's not the deepest and it's not the
> fastest but it's a good combo unit...

You know, they seemed to do a pretty good combo though. The early reports clearly show excellent depth. Now, what I don't think I've seen mentioned is that a bit of that depth is due to that new coil. It is bigger than it looks due to how they flattened the top and bottom of the DD coil. REALLY GOOD IDEA. The recovery speed (from watching videos and reports) seems to be moderately fast. The extra power of this unit (more than one person has brought up the T2) coupled with the new coil and decently fast recovery speed really seem to work well.

I think to get maximum depth you will have to be patient and learn the sounds. I really wonder how machines like the F75/T2 get such good depth while having such fast recovery speeds as usually the two don't go hand in hand. (Also that French Deus I mentioned gets excellent depth and also is lightning fast - but adjustable there). I think Tom mentioned before about the former machines having a lot of juice pumped into them. (Sorry for the non scientific interpretation.)

Will be interesting to see how the "problems" are resolved and what the competition releases next year. Clearly the AT Pro can take sales away from the f75 and T2 so I hope this is inspiration for Mr. Johnson ;-)
December 23, 2010 02:38AM
I don't see the AT Pro actually taking all that many sales away from FT. Most of us now swinging Teks and Fishers know what we have are waiting for the next detector that is better then what we currently have. As of right now, I don't see that being the AT, for me. I don't care for the idea of having to tape my rods to make them tighter right out of the box. Nor do I want the hassle of having to buy adapters and cut and splice wires to get to use quality headphones. Nor do I like coils that I can't scrub the ground with and difficult connectors to deal with. My opinion, anyway. HH jim tn
December 23, 2010 08:27AM
Jim, I see what you are saying but not many people have complained about the coil scrubbing thing and only a few people have spliced there wires. The coil clearance thing seems to be typical of Garretts (at least they are saying that on the forums). I don't know how bad the stock headphones are but I hear your point because I still have my Grey Ghosts and couldn't imagine not having something of equal value. The rods is more of an annoyance than a deal breaker for most. After all the unit is waterproof and weather covers suck, that is a huge selling point. I do much prefer the knobs on my Omega over buttons though. The iron audio is a huge feature, very Nautilus like. I would take the AT Pro over my Omega right now and I sold my Omega cause I liked it more for coins than my T2. Seems the AT Pro hits all the coins equally as well, that is nice.

The one real determining factor for many people is this economy. Two people have already said that they bought the AT Pro with headphones for around $500. Now, I see the AT Pro being more a competitor to the T2 than to the Omega (which I have). So, $500 or $800+ dollars is not even close. It seems the AT Pro is deeper than my Omega ($600), maybe it's not as fast but it seems to do excellent in iron and unlike my Omega it hits both the high and low conductors equally, though my Omega does ok on the low (but not great). I can't see the AT Pro not taking away some sales for these reasons. I still see your point, but I'm thinking the majority of users out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 08:28AM by earthmansurfer.
December 23, 2010 06:33PM
i know charlie garrett has made some nice detectors over the years,however i was never a fan of garretts mainly because i didn't like the audio frequencies,and
that "bell tone" of theirs..i just could not get used to the audio,and i disliked the paint scheme as well..i believe in time, the at pro will establish itself with a lot of
detectorists,however i will not be one of them...i just cannot comprehend having to hunt all day with a coil "elevated" off the ground!..very inconvenient,and tiring
as well.if i have to do this with this new garrett,then i fold my hand!..i'm out!..this "quirk" if you will,of this detector should be addressed at the earliest
available opportunity!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 23, 2010 07:59PM
Certainly being water proof is an advantage. I don't enjoy hunting in the rain so that feature is not a selling point for me. The other issues I mentioned are things that I simply don't want to deal with with purchasing a new detector. I've had T 2's and F 75's and now the F 75 LTD and the Omega and the way things stand right now with the AT Pro, I wouldn't sell or trade any of them to acquire an AT Pro. I know exactly what I've had and currently have. HH jim tn
January 04, 2011 02:21PM
jbow Wrote:
> Instead of
> addressing the questions, the threads were deleted
> or closed.

People that refuse to answer
> honest questions remind me too much of liberal
> politicians...

Hah!...Over at "Finds" there is a thread in the Fisher Classics section about which Fisher models are made in the US..Alot focused on the 1236. I posted a response that I thought/heard some of the CZ 3d's were made in Mexico.....My post was removed quicker than a Leech on Genitalia.....
January 04, 2011 09:01PM
The new CZ-3D's are indeed made just a few miles South of El Paso, TX (where First Texas is based)........just on the other side of the border. Virtually.....the back yard of First Texas.
January 05, 2011 01:51AM
I am turned off by the new AT Pro I am having too much fun using the G2 and the LTD. I don't feel that I am missing anything because I understand what the machines are telling me. And for the past seven years I have been a Fisher user and real happy with what they have done with the advansments of their products. They keep improving them not making the same old thing and when they come out with a new machine or tek I am sure the sales will be thrugh the roof as long as they want to stay on top they have to keep improving. I am doing some heavy realic hunting finding old gold pits and finding the stuff the iron that was left behind and the tools. The G2 is what I use frist then come back with the LTD and the 5DD and that coil really finds some of the things the G2 missed with the bigger coil. I have not been happy with my 5DD fron the Omega on the G2 works nothing like the 5DD on the LTD. So I carry two detectors with me and am loving the hobby. I will not buy the AT PRO and will spend my money on Fisher and Tek when the time comes...just give me more time to enjoy what I have.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 03:28AM by Lawrenzo.
January 05, 2011 02:52AM
from a water hunter's view.

As most know, i got the G2 first and used it and tested it many times ......98% on the wet/damp/water - (salt).....va beach, va.............i strapped it on my back and used my se pro and would test it against it and several excals in the damp sand zone.

as tom has stated......ground balances (fast grab)....whatever.......fast and right at 00..........sentivity max.........runs smooth and quite......better than the At Pro, But....has no depth.....end of story for the wet salt sand........

had At Pro on order and at this moment, i still have it.......i find it to be quite the salt water machine..........many tests and still testing, if i ever get rid of this damn flu i have had for 3 days.
depth.........matches all the excals i have tested it against...............will not touch the SePro .............now the coil issues and shaft............i do not have these issues, or they are so minor i do not even regard them...........coil does sound off when i hit the sand with it on a jerk.........most do...........phones........we all know about the phones..........like most, i cut the wire and added female plug so i can use whatever phones i like.

for under 600 bucks for a salt water beach machine i think it is going to be hard to beat

likes deep iron as many do.........likes deep bottle caps............is great on id on 6 to 8 in. targets ..........the best bottle cap not finding machine have used on shallow ones.........the iron auto is a great feature.

rain proof......wave proof........splash proof........

should be a great machine for those dry sand hunters who hate digging bottle caps at the end of the daily sunbathning.....after 6PM hunt........and one could drop to the wet zone and still have a great water mahcine.

in the dirt, both the G2 and At Pro for me worked great.
January 05, 2011 03:34AM
I agree that for a all in one machine it has its place in the market. I hunt relics and not salt beaches but do hunt fresh water beaches and the G2 is killer. If I hunted water I would still get a water detector. I don't think one machine can shine on all fronts of detecting...but maybe fisher/Tec will to that soon or leave that to someone else and keep improving the line up they have.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
hi keith!
what kind of 'depth" are you seeing on coins,OR coin sized objects?
thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 05, 2011 04:34AM
hi lawrenzo!
i'm just curious!..you claim that the g2 hunts well with the 11" dd
can you explain why you don't "use" the 5" dd coil on the g2?
thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.