Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer 2 coil..strangness

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer 2 coil..strangness
April 06, 2016 02:58AM
So I was checking my 11x7 Racer 2 coil(will explain in a later post), and when I waved my bare hand back and forth in front of the coil(less than an inch), it registered with a nonferrous tone consistently, sometimes reading 50 on the TID. I also waved plastic, and glass and they didn't get any response, just to make sure it wasn't coil wiggle or something I was doing wrong. Am I a robot, or does anyone else have this issue as well?
Re: Racer 2 coil..strangness
April 06, 2016 03:27AM
Welcome to the high gain world!!

That's the mineral in your blood..LOL..

Most any GOOD HIgh Gain Gold machine will report your bare hand..

alot of regular general performance VLFs wont but a HIgh gain unit will..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 06, 2016 03:38AM
[m.youtube.com]

[ajcn.nutrition.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2016 03:46AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 06, 2016 03:38AM
Too much iron in your diet?
April 06, 2016 12:32PM
As a nurse, my professional opinion is that the blood/mineral level should report a consistent 35 on the R2....lol. j/k.... Interesting observation.
April 06, 2016 03:27PM
Hi,,,,I think you would be dead if you had that much iron/minerals in your body/blood that a detector is picking it up....If you ate about a dozen monkey wrenches or had the worst case of Hemochromatosis in the world then maybe just maybe the detector may pick up a signal....I think what you are witnessing is your hand & body is acting like a capacitor and changing the capacitance/inductance of the coils windings....I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that this same coil design is susceptible to falsing when working wet tall grass or bumping fallen branches etc..........JJ

PS: This is just my opinion and not endorsed by anyone & not met to cause a big ruckus in detector land..LoL..
April 06, 2016 04:28PM
I agree with Keith. Just about all VLF Nugget hunting detectors will do the same.
April 06, 2016 04:52PM
Thanks! For a minute there, I questioned my own humanity lol smiling smiley
April 06, 2016 05:08PM
It's not the iron in your blood. It's largely the salt in all your body fluids. If your machine is a budget one, with little coil shielding, or your coil is faulty, then it's caused by a capacitive effect, ie the TX signal couples to your hand and to the RX, and also to ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2016 06:49PM by Pimento.
April 06, 2016 05:38PM
Years ago I had a Buddy who ran the biggest Prospecting business on the East Coast..

East Coast Prospecting..

I remember him showing me that on the gold machines back then maybe about 91 or so..It was the Whites GM I believe.,,

He told me back then it was the Salts and Water and minerals.

Back them we were trying to figure out how to get gold machines to hunt in iron..Because the machines were just tearing up Buttons..

I had just figured out iron masking by chance and I was hungry to figure more out and I spent a good part of my life in his shop trying and researching everything I could to get an advantage in iron contamination sites..The gold machines I discovered were faster and responded better to brass and had coils that saw through mineral to boot..

And as a plus about this time Gold Unit's started getting disc circuits..

Back them we did not know it but we were pioneering our way into the iron with equipment for prospectors but using it in relic sites..

The Lobos original and later the ST really lit up some Iron ridden sites..and yes they too picked up your hand.

I was amazed at that back then and thought man this is Super hot it wont miss anything..LOL..

Good times back then..A new challenge ..Unlock Iron.. and I find the equipment to do it..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 06, 2016 06:51PM
That's funny, I noticed that recently with my F75 LTD2 doing airtests in all metal. I was a little worried I might have to change my diet!
April 06, 2016 07:44PM
"or your coil is faulty" That is the meat of it really. On the 11X7 coil, when I pull the coil cord tight, it overloads until I give the cord some slack. As long as the coil cord has slack, it is good. That is when I discovered my coil responding to my hand.
April 06, 2016 07:57PM
Cables can fail with repeated flexing, but the main weak-point on many machines is the (cheap) connector used. Poor strain relief, poor cable clamps, contacts that wiggle every time you plug them in, add on dirt and corrosion, and inevitably something will fail. A disconnected screen/shield can cause effects like excessive ground noise, inability to ground-balance, falsing when touching grass/vegetation.
April 07, 2016 12:12AM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cables can fail with repeated flexing, but the
> main weak-point on many machines is the (cheap)
> connector used. Poor strain relief, poor cable
> clamps, contacts that wiggle every time you plug
> them in, add on dirt and corrosion, and inevitably
> something will fail. A disconnected screen/shield
> can cause effects like excessive ground noise,
> inability to ground-balance, falsing when touching
> grass/vegetation.

my G2+ goes wonky once in a while (like severe EMI) and I have to remove/replace the connector
to get some sanity back....agree the hardware is pretty cheap....poor quality....