Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Put screen protectors on your detectors

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Put screen protectors on your detectors
April 16, 2016 05:24PM
This is especially aimed at newer folks getting into detecting.

Get your screen some protection.

If you don't it will inevitably get scratched no matter how careful you try to be with it.

Also,, before you apply make sure there is not a factory installed shipping protective covering--- these can be hard to see.
They generally are not as clear reading through as the specially designed screen protectors..

Clean your screen good before applying.

This is what I use,, have had good results,, no water or liquid needed,,,can be removed or changed out fairly easy.

Also,, better maintained screens on detectors make them easier to read,, and down the road can affect resale value should you decide to sell.

This below can be purchased a Wally World.

Re: Put screen protectors on your detectors
April 16, 2016 05:53PM
In my opinion, these Phone/tablet type protectors aren't sturdy enough, they're only OK for preventing minor surface scratches. This isn't a bad thing, and these protectors can be obtained very cheaply, especially for out-of-date model gadgets. But my main worry was major damage, such as a digging knife embedding itself in the screen when all the gear is packed in a bag, or contact with a rogue tree branch when detecting in woodland. I have an F75, it's got no proper LCD protection at all, just the plastic front panel label. I resolved this issue by fitting a much sturdier plastic sheet in front of the screen. It's the type of polyester (PET) plastic used in fancy packaging, such as toys, where the cardboard box has clear areas to display the contents. (as below)
[p.globalsources.com]

On my Fisher, I was able to slip the sheet under the case bezel on the top 3 sides, leaving just the lower edge to fix down with weather-resistant tape. I also added 'phone' film to the pertinent area on top of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 09:09PM by Pimento.
April 16, 2016 07:55PM
Sharpshooter....good info and smile when I saw the picture as have used it on several units and worked well......for general detecting and when traveling wrap my units in a blanket to protect them from major damage......
April 16, 2016 09:04PM
I make my own at work from thick clear static cling vinyl. No adhesive.

It works great and the plotter cuts it to shape to fit the screen perfect.

If you have a sign shop near you and you can provide them with an outline of the screen on a piece of paper, they will cut a whole sheet of them for you. Shouldn't cost much.

HH
John
April 17, 2016 12:49AM
Good info John.....usually quite expensive if you damage the screen face and thicker plastic offers more protection.........
April 17, 2016 03:43AM
Good stuff!
I do the same. Works very well.
April 17, 2016 10:12AM
Good Tip

Due to the screen cover provided with my Racer 2 [ standing clear off the screen ] thereby making it hard to see in wet / and dirt on it, I cut down a spare "FONEWARE" iPhone 6 screen protector and it just stuck on to the screen's surface as quick as a contact lens on your eye! Great.
April 19, 2016 04:26PM
Great tip, one which I wished I had followed for my ETPro prototype. I dropped my armrest on it during assembly last Sunday and it put a good little scuff on the plastic. Really upset me as this is a irreplaceble one of a kind unit that I basically begged them to let me keep. Now its got a nice little scuff on the screen. Arrrrgggg. angry smiley

So very timely advice, though somewhat late for me.
HH
Mike
April 19, 2016 05:35PM
That's the first thing I do with ALL my detectors that have screens---install ZAGG covers on them.---I put them over the buttons also if possible-----CHEAP INSURANCE!------Should you ever want to remove it, this product comes off leaving absolutely NO residue.----It's great stuff---the military uses it on their helicopter blades.-------Del
April 19, 2016 07:10PM
I Also like the Zagg cover on my Etrac. Do they still make them? Seem I heard some where they don't anymore?
April 19, 2016 08:23PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I Also like the Zagg cover on my Etrac. Do they
> still make them? Seem I heard some where they
> don't anymore?

Harold----I think they did stop making them for the Etracs--due to low sales------I just purchase the larger Zagg sheets at Radio Shack & cut to fit.-----Its the exact same material & cheaper by doing it that way also.
April 19, 2016 10:19PM
I get on feebay and search for zagg tablet. I just bought one for a 10 inch tablet (brand doesn't matter) for under $5. If I have them I try to use the factory screen protector as a template on a piece of paper and then use that for the film. It works great over membrane buttons like on the Etrac.
April 20, 2016 01:44AM
This is what I use. They last about 6 months. No glare or dirt in between the screen.
[www.youtube.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]