Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Quick hunt this morning, the streak continues...Barber dime

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Quick hunt this morning, the streak continues...Barber dime
April 20, 2016 05:59PM
Went to a new spot that a lot of people have hunted where a small shotgun mill house was torn down last fall. Got my 6th silver in as many short hunts. This house wasn't bulldozed, it was taken down by hand and nails removed and the lumber saved. You can guess where most of the nails ended up. This was my ultimate task with the machine. Pulled out a barber dime, 2 wheats, mother of pearl cuff link or button and a couple of memorials.
R2, 3 tone, small coil, iron at 1, second tone break at 78. Just how much more unmasking can a machine accomplish............What I have noticed in an overabundance of iron and trash. If you're a coin hunter. Amongst all the ID's that could be flashing in the TID, if I am getting a high tone, above my 78 tone break and it's not going into the 90's blipping more than likely something is good there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 08:33PM by Jack Flynn.
Re: Quick hunt this morning, the streak continues...
April 20, 2016 06:16PM
That deserve's another jellied up cat head! Your killin' it with the R2!
Re: Quick hunt this morning, the streak continues...Barber dime
April 20, 2016 08:36PM
Harold the machine is killin it! These places a lot of people have spent a lot of time in detecting. More than imaginable really. I'm just running it and letting it teach me. It's doing a pretty good job of it too.
April 20, 2016 08:47PM
Jack,
If you don't let that Racer cool down a bit,,you will have to go to a bigger coil,, so all your silver will fit on it for a good pic..lol
April 20, 2016 09:39PM
How is it in more modern trash AKA, pull tabs and foil? Thanks.
April 21, 2016 01:20AM
Harold I don't have a problem at all. The places I hunt are full of everything, modern back to the who knows when. At first until I moved the second tone break I was digging crown caps left and right. Not unless it's a substantial piece of aluminum you won't dig it either, TID all over the place and sounds washed out just like the CoRe and Racer. Foil, haven't dug a piece yet. However this reminds me of a post I made last year about as you look around on all the forums you realize what kind of detectorist are out there lol.
April 21, 2016 01:56AM
Man you coins get really eaten up..in Calif silver comes out of the ground for the most part like it's only been there a short time when it really has been there on some of my hunts over 160 years...But great find!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2016 02:20AM by Lawrenzo.
April 21, 2016 02:04AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man you coins get really eaten up..in Calif silver
> come out of the ground for the most part like it's
> only been there a short time when it really has
> been there on some of my hunts over 160
> years...But great find!

Yeah,,
Lawrenzo,,this is the reason all the old antique cars out west were gobbled up by folks back east.

This is also the reason the DOD has the aircraft boneyard at Tucson Az,,lot less corrosion.

These boneyarded aircraft can be put back into service should the need arise,, not all,, but many of them.

[www.amarcexperience.com]

Some of the aircraft I worked on when I was younger can be found here,,and also some of the aircraft that I personally flew on over the Atlantic, Carribean, and the Pacific oceans-- really gets to me thinking when I saw those,, haven't seen since 2000 though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2016 02:17AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 21, 2016 02:38AM
Looking good Jack. I kick myself for not taking the Racer to PA, that iron infested yard would have been sweet with the OOR. Most I seen in there was swinging a stock trying for depth...if they only knew what was hidden among all that stuff shallow lol
April 21, 2016 03:17AM
Your on a roll!!!!!
Congrats
April 21, 2016 10:28AM
way to go, Jack! You and the R2 are tearin' it up! Nice saves!
Hurry up and clean the crud off that Barber; it hurts me for such a beautiful coin to look so nasty.
What's the best way to clean it?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 21, 2016 01:02PM
Wayne you'll never get that crud off. We find a lot of coins around chimneys "not there anymore" where the old houses used to stand. This one was in such a place right where the chimney stood. The bricks are still in the ground there. Whether they've had the crud burnt on or what, don't know. It just don't come off. With that said it's in the tumbler right now to see if slow abrasion might work? We've tried everything, soft wood, even a wire brush to no avail on other coins. I'll see how this works. Stuff just don't come off almost like part of the metal.