Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher CZ 3D And Aluminum Screw Caps

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher CZ 3D And Aluminum Screw Caps
April 22, 2016 12:48PM
I've been thinking about getting a CZ 3D to search for deeper older coins at some of our older sites around town. The problem is screw caps! They're everywhere!
Is there a way that CZ 3D can ID them so I won't have to dig ton of them and still be able to find the older deeper coins?

tabman
Re: Fisher CZ 3D And Aluminum Screw Caps
April 22, 2016 01:53PM
"I'm afraid not old buddy!!!
It's just the way it is - way too many varieties / shapes / thickness / brands / manufacturers / aluminum percentage make-up etc.
I test different machines 'monthly' and dig 'screw caps' weekly - even yesterday with a new Garrett"
April 22, 2016 01:54PM
Unfortunately they come whole, bent, crushed and all can be seen in various way by a metal detector in the way they sound or where they come in meter wise..
Fortunately they seem to cover a larger area in pinpoint but we can all be fooled and even the best operator will dig some...
April 22, 2016 02:04PM
Sounds like a person would be better off using a depth meter to weed them out,,,even doing this a good find could be passed.

Junk aluminum,,, yep it ranks right up there with iron and nails.

Everyday somewhere in this country I'm sure a coil is being swept right over a good silver coin,,and is not detected due to some form of junk aluminum target.
April 22, 2016 02:39PM
I was afraid of that. I can pretty much tell a screw cap with one of my Tesoro detectors by sizing the target when pinpointing in the all metal mode. A screw cap will start sounding off at the edge of the search coil and a coin will sound off closer to the center of the search coil. Really deep screw caps are a little trickier.

tabman
April 22, 2016 02:53PM
Digg'em as they do make for a big target but so does a half or dollar.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
April 22, 2016 03:19PM
Hi,,,,I rarely dig a screw cap and if I do it's usually a deeper older wine bottle cap....The 3D has excellent modulated audio that you can use to your advantage.....Focus on digging only narrower deeper weaker sounding targets.....The older coins you seek should be deeper than the screw caps or at least they are around here....This also includes pull tabs etc......Good luck......JJ
April 22, 2016 04:00PM
"Few months ago I was testing a UK C Scope CS2MX model.
In a grass park I could tell the difference between a penny size coin in Disc Mode from a screw cap.
But, with bigger than penny size coins I couldn't.
I've a video on YT and it shows that.
DesDunne1
April 23, 2016 12:06AM
One way is to lift the cool up a few inches and if it is still loud then it's probally a screw cap. If it gets soft or modulated then most likely a coin. But if it pegs the depth meter when pinpointing and in a old area better dig it.