Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What percentage of places do you think have not been hunted?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What percentage of places do you think have not been hunted?
April 23, 2016 01:56AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say upwards of 95% of any place around where you live hasn't had a detector ran over it. What's your thoughts on that. Then there's the "that's been hunted" type places that in reality haven't had a decent/correct search made on them........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 01:57AM by Jack Flynn.
Re: What percentage of places do you think have not been hunted?
April 23, 2016 02:20AM
I would agree with you Jack if not even less. Maybe as many as 99% haven't really been hunted.

Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) show that there were 5.6 million commercial buildings in the United States in 2012.

In 2015, there were about 124.6 million households in the United States. According to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, a household consists of all the people who occupy a housing unit.

And that doesn't count all of the other kinds of sites out there...
April 23, 2016 02:30AM
Here is the problem in my area.

I sure can't put nay percentages here,,,but a lot of house,,,the houses that were built in the early to late 1800s-- they for the most part in rural areas,,gone. And many no clue where they stood.

Some I'm sure have more modern olde pr houses built on or close to some of the original house sites,,but certainly not all.

The other problem here,, most times homes here,,the early ones,, weren't built in the nice flats or fields,,, they didn't want or couldn't afford to sacrifice their farmland to build,,so a lot of times these older house sites were built on the edge of fields or above fields ( steeper) places.

Cemeteries here are probably the biggest clues,, as to where the house were more closely located--- it seems a lot of folks were buried practically in site of where they lived.
Springs too are good clues as well.

You almost have to just think while you are out,,and gamble based on what you see terrain, rock fence, cemetery, spring, roads, creeks, field wise.
And the super long deer season here is punishing on being able to get out and explorer while the foliage is down.

Not very scientific,, rather a big guessing game. And to add insult to injury,,many of the courthouses have burned,,some numerous times,, so records are scarce.

Cheers

Find a silver today Jack??
April 23, 2016 02:41AM
I would say 75% of the places around me have never been hunted or if the number is lower it was with a older or cheap detector that missed a lot of the older coins. Our town just closed a golf course that was the town country club. This golf course was opened in 1922. It is some where between 12 to 15 acres. My mind goes crazy thinking of all the people from average folk to rich folk that have played golf there in the last 94 years and I think how many lost coins or jewelry on this golf course. I think of all the outside gatherings at the country club where people were drinking and playing golf and how many lost jewelry or pulled coins out of there pockets. I know for a fact that no one has ever hunted on this golf course. A site this large with possibilities of being a detectoriest dream site. To only hope to get permission to hunt such a site. The man that owns it is a very wealthy man and people say he is not a easy man to talk to and is all business like. How do you approach someone like this. To drive by it everyday knowing that maybe some lucky detectoriest will get to hunt that someday. Rumor has it that the town is thinking of buying the old golf course and building on it. What a loss that would be to our hobby again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 03:05AM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
April 23, 2016 12:21PM
Call his office and offer to take him out to lunch. Have a display box of some of your coolest non valuable finds, and explain your hobby. Offer to share interesting or valuable items if you find them, and follow through. Have him come watch you detect and offer to bring one for him to use. He might be the one that ends up making out on the deal, but you might make a lifetime friend so consider the options.
April 24, 2016 01:15AM
Got great news today. Talked to the Mayor of our town. He said they want to buy the old golf course and turn it into another town public park. He said it is 42 acres and not 12 to 15 like I thought. He said that as long as detectoriest fill in there holes and not tear up the grass there wouldn't be a problem with them hunting there. Going to do some research and see what was on the property before it was a golf course. The town itself goes back to 1817.
April 24, 2016 01:28AM
Good Luck with that.
April 24, 2016 01:56AM
I'm going to say that of the places that have been hunted 5% of them haven't been. And of the huntable places near by 20% haven't even been considered. A lot of parks have shrubs that weren't there before and picnic benches move some times. A familes favorite hang out stops being used when people move. I went to a park where a friend said he sees a guy detect in all the time. He doesn't detect all of it it seems.
April 24, 2016 04:49PM
90% havent been hunted..

100% havent been hunted out..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 24, 2016 06:34PM
I'd say most of the old fair grounds have been cherry picked but because of huge amounts of trash probably 75% of the good stuff is masked or deep/masked.
Parks around me are clean of even trash pretty much.. House sites probably very few been hit and the omnes that have were probably hit with you detectors and totally inexperienced users.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.