Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just thinking

Posted by supertraq 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just thinking
May 04, 2016 02:29AM
The other thread I posted got me to thinking about all the SL quarter's, mercs,etc.that I had and I remembered Franklin halves which I don't think I have ever heard a single person mention digging. I had actually forgot about them,Ben on the front and the Liberty Bell on the back was a cool coin.
Maybe people were already collecting coins and snapped them up.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
Re: Just thinking
May 04, 2016 03:38AM
Ive dug a few Franklins out of yards in town's..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 04, 2016 09:26AM
I have dug two of them. But it has been quite a few years.
May 04, 2016 10:23AM
Only one Franklin here.
I don't know about other families but when I was a kid, a present or prize for doing something above and beyond was a silver half or a silver dollar. All of two I received, lol, I spent one and still have the other. So, what I'm getting at is maybe many are still keepsakes. This was back in the 50's when the Franklin's were around. Just a memory.
Many many millions were made in the 15 years minted, many were melted for the silver worth.
May 04, 2016 02:22PM
Found 3 over the yrs..Indeed one of the toughest coins to come by at least in my neck of the woods....For a 50's silver far and few between....
May 04, 2016 02:46PM
I have gotten 2 Franklins, 3 Walkers, 1 64 kennedy, and 2 clad kennedy
May 04, 2016 03:48PM
Here is a vid that shows how excited I got when I found two on one hunt.

[m.youtube.com]

Funny story...
I was waiting to get my drivers license and they were backed up.
Luckily they had a system that will give me alerts on my phone so I spent some time at a park near the office instead of sitting around all day.
At that park next to a pavilion I found 2 within 10 minutes.
I was talking about it at my next club meeting and it turns out a few years before our club had some kind of special prize hunt at that very site.
Can't remember exactly what it was a about but the prizes given out were silver halves.
One of the members had a hole in his pocket and lost a few...guess who came along and found them eventually?
That's right...this guy!
Probably one of the few times in this hobby a hunter can track back the history of a dropped coin.
I don't really care how they got there, I scanned the area, I got the signal, I dug the coins so it counts.
Maybe one day I will come across another one in the wild...hopefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 03:49PM by diggwr27.
May 04, 2016 04:10PM
I Think I only dug 4 or so. I think one reason as the last real Silver half and being newer they were generally not that deep. Then you ad the size, even a older detector back in the day found them easily. So you think not as many left in the ground ? JMHO.
May 04, 2016 05:58PM
This woman that works the register at this small place I sometimes get coffee, grabs any silver coins that come across her hands, mostly Rosie dimes. She puts clad in their place.

Well, today when I was in there, I asked her, as I always do, "silver still showing up". She brightened up and said "OMG, this guy in his 50's has been coming in and paying for his stuff with silver halves". I said "Really, what halves were they". She said "the ones with liberty on them, um, um."
I said "oh jeez, Walking Liberties? She said "YES! that's the name".
Then she said he came in the other day and paid with a credit card.....Oh well, it was a good run.
May 04, 2016 06:19PM
Wait a minute I'm in My 50's! LOL!
Man She must be young as She made it sound like He was in His 90's.
May 05, 2016 01:14AM
Lost is lost so same,same

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.