Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sensitivity setting in iron beds with a small coil.

Posted by Jressman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sensitivity setting in iron beds with a small coil.
May 04, 2016 06:58PM
I'm wondering what you experienced relic hunters use for a sensitivity setting when in those dense iron beds around foundations of old home sites. I use a Racer 2 with the small coil as my primary iron site machine. I'm able to run it very hot 96-99 sensitivity without chatter in the woods at these cellar hole sites. My question is this: Is this too hot a setting to use in iron? Am I creating falsing by running it so hot? Sort of like the high beams in fog actually reducing visibility. I guess I'm so hung up on depth loss with a little coil that I compensate by running it as hot as I can, however things are never very deep in the woods. My other concern is there is a lot of brick shard in the soil right around foundation which can throw off my GB and I'm concerned too much sensitivity is working against me. I may be wrong though. What sensitivity do you guys use with the Turkish machines in nail carpets? What site conditions do you take into consideration in choosing your sensitivity?
Re: Sensitivity setting in iron beds with a small coil.
May 04, 2016 07:20PM
Well,,since you mentioned Turkish machines,,,as far as answering your question,,,IMO better to actually hunt multiple times with maybe low, mid, and hotter setup gain.

My 2 cents.

Not really just one way to go,, and not miss something possibly.

And this just doesn't apply to Turkish detectrors either.

So many variables, so settings changes could/ can benefit at times.
May 04, 2016 07:30PM
I just got back from hunting an old homestead that I have hit before with the Relic. My settings were DI3, sense 93, ID mask 0, tone break 65, Imask 0. This setting worked great in all the square nails and flat tin. Was able to pull a nice buckle a few buttons and a war nickel, go figure,not sure how or why it was there but not complaining lol. The Relic runs great with the sense that high.
May 04, 2016 08:55PM
I'm going to give it a try by marking a 6x6ft square in the dense iron. I'm going to start high sensitivity and decrease by 15 points after covering the entire area. I will flag but not dig signals. See if any new signals come to light when the sensitivity levels drop. Also see if I lose any flagged targets that the R2 saw at higher sensitivity, but lost at a lower setting. Should be time consuming but interesting.
May 04, 2016 09:05PM
an extension to the OP's ?....in my case I'm curious if I'm using too high a sense in soil
that runs 4 bars and GB's at 85 or so...I can run sense at 85 without too much chatter but
should I be running much lower sense for better performance? I'm using the R2 also...
May 04, 2016 09:48PM
I'll have to say, when you learn it fully the more the better. There seems to be no fog in the high beams with the machines. Just adjust for emi to calm it down if you have to. What's cool is when the coil is on the ground the emi goes away with all my Turkish machines.
May 04, 2016 10:38PM
Nice test, I'd be curious as to your findings. I'd also recommend in heavy iron (nails in particular) to use 3 tone as you get more descriptive audio reports on non-ferrous targets mixed with ferrous.

I was able to pull a nice cuff sized Phoenix button out of a pounded iron pit on my R2 and the signal was a very clear, repeatable dig me alert. My hunting budding couldn't believe I found it there as every machine known to man has detected that exact spot multiple times.

Jressman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going to give it a try by marking a 6x6ft
> square in the dense iron. I'm going to start high
> sensitivity and decrease by 15 points after
> covering the entire area. I will flag but not dig
> signals. See if any new signals come to light when
> the sensitivity levels drop. Also see if I lose
> any flagged targets that the R2 saw at higher
> sensitivity, but lost at a lower setting. Should
> be time consuming but interesting.
May 04, 2016 11:01PM
The more power you can lay on the site the better..

you just have to learn the traits of the falses from the real hits at high gain settings..

you'll hear the deeper signals that are entangled in the iron..by deeper I mean hopefully 6-7 inch stuff if you're lucky..

If you hear big iron move it out of the way....don't use the excuse to use lower power not to be bothered by larger iron in clsoe proximity hoping to sniff something out from around it.....Remove the big iron...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 05, 2016 12:23AM
Although it may be a counter-intuitive paradox....... run the Sens on high settings...... as this will audibly light up non-Fe targets with greater intelligibility. You can experiment with this by detecting several (individual) non-Fe targets with Sens in the 90's. Then....... drop the Sens down into the 40's or 50's...... and 'grade' the audio intelligence.

Then....... do the exact opposite. Detect several (individual) non-Fe targets with a lower Sens setting (in the 40's or 50's)............ then.......... after locating a non-Fe target...... raise the Sens up into the 90's......................... and grade/judge the intelligence in the audio resopnse(s).
May 05, 2016 12:47AM
angry smiley VOID angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 04:50AM by jimmyjiver.
May 05, 2016 02:36AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Although it may be a counter-intuitive
> paradox....... run the Sens on high settings......
> as this will audibly light up non-Fe targets with
> greater intelligibility. You can experiment with
> this by detecting several (individual) non-Fe
> targets with Sens in the 90's. Then....... drop
> the Sens down into the 40's or 50's...... and
> 'grade' the audio intelligence.
>
> Then....... do the exact opposite. Detect several
> (individual) non-Fe targets with a lower Sens
> setting (in the 40's or 50's)............
> then.......... after locating a non-Fe
> target...... raise the Sens up into the
> 90's......................... and grade/judge the
> intelligence in the audio resopnse(s).

very good advice Tom, I'm going to give this a try....
May 05, 2016 02:37AM
Unless it's a machine that actually has a transmit power adjustment, your not changing the foot print of the coil. Run it as hot as you can, the higher gain/sensitivity will alert you to borderline signals
May 05, 2016 04:33AM
Keith Southern Wrote:

> If you hear big iron move it out of the
> way....don't use the excuse to use lower power not
> to be bothered by larger iron in clsoe proximity
> hoping to sniff something out from around
> it.....Remove the big iron...
>
> Keith

I actually enjoy the big iron. Since I got my Racer 2 my iron relic finds exploded! I dug a child's complete iron shoe buckle that my buddy with his Etrac grunted on in TTF. I've actually dug a few nice iron relics like buckles, hinges, cutlery with my Racer 2. The iron cleans up nicely and solidifies the Racer 2 as my primary relic machine in my lineup. The Racer makes it very easy to identify big iron under your coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 04:34AM by Jressman.
May 05, 2016 04:43AM
I dig the bigger iron too hoping for a good relic.

Rick
May 05, 2016 06:00AM
Yes Sir Iron relics are a thing of Beauty.

And tell a Great story about a site and a even at times are more valuable info wise and even collectible wise than any non ferrous object can be.

The R2 and all the Euros seem to be able to communicate that Relic iron with uncanny exactness ....AS THEY SHOULD!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 05, 2016 01:07PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> The more power you can lay on the site the
> better..
>
> you just have to learn the traits of the falses
> from the real hits at high gain settings..
>
> you'll hear the deeper signals that are entangled
> in the iron..by deeper I mean hopefully 6-7 inch
> stuff if you're lucky..
>
>
> If you hear big iron move it out of the
> way....don't use the excuse to use lower power not
> to be bothered by larger iron in clsoe proximity
> hoping to sniff something out from around
> it.....Remove the big iron...
>
> Keith

"Remove the big iron", tried your advice Keith but the rusty '57 chevy was just too big to get out...had to pass...
May 06, 2016 12:18PM
canslawhero Wrote:

> "Remove the big iron", tried your advice Keith but
> the rusty '57 chevy was just too big to get
> out...had to pass...

Hey, it would be worth digging if it weren't rusty.