Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wayne you ready for the big hunt tomorrow?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wayne you ready for the big hunt tomorrow?
May 06, 2016 11:07PM
I'll be leaving out about 5am myself, got my riding buddies and drinks and stuff packed.....winking smiley
Re: Wayne you ready for the big hunt tomorrow?
May 07, 2016 01:37AM
Be sure and post pics of the finds and maybe a video or two. The sticks in the mud wont like them but I enjoy them. Have fun fellas.
May 07, 2016 02:36AM
Being done the way a hunt should be done. Great place, great history, really great history. Now to let 35 people loose on it and see what turns up. Like me and you checking a place out together. Not 5 or 10 people hunting it for several days, then having a hunt lol. South Carolina Dirt Diggers changing the way this should be done and you don't have to mortgage the house.
May 07, 2016 05:20AM
A hunt in South Carolina is tops on my bucket list as far as metal detecting goes. Ever since getting Richard's book "Relics and Reminiscing" and the "Relics of the Coastal Empire" book, I have been slobbering at the chance to go.
May 09, 2016 12:28PM
Didn't see your post until I got back, Jack. It was nice meeting you and several others. Really a nice, cordial, friendly group. Was encouraged by the nice buttons and old coins found; though relatively few in number, it shows they are there. The dense undergrowth just made them a bear to locate. I cleaned my coin/medal-looking piece but am not able to see anything that might identify it. A sizable piece of lead and part of a small brass buckle are the only other items I found that were not shotgun brasses or centerfire shell casings or modern bullets. I did not stick around for the second day as I was exhausted after tromping around in the thick stuff all day Saturday. I think I made the right call as it is now Monday morning and I am just starting to feel recovered.

I did enjoy seeing the gorgeous confederate buttons a few others were finding as well as the large cents and other nice oldies. A winter hunt there will be very interesting!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 09, 2016 12:42PM
Several of my friends went. Had a good time but also stated the undergrowth and a few ticks were tough. Got a few buttons and saw some 1800 coins found. Lots of area to cover. Hate I couldn't make it but had contractors working on the house and had to be here.
May 09, 2016 02:05PM
Yep we talked several times about the early spring/green up we were having. Full green up 6-7 weeks early this year. Normally a couple of weeks ago would have been the end of the pollen, it's been gone since the middle of March here. Anyway it will be very interesting come January....... Cannot beat what is being done by us. It's all about having fun and having the opportunity to dig some great stuff. January will be a very different story I'm sure, approximately 5200 acres in the right spot looks like to us, and able to get to it in the winter. Please remember, this is metal detecting, the history is there, it's not hunted before the group hunt either. Wayne you located some great house places before you even arrived just thick as can be. I can't wait!