Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Properly Tuned Fisher CZ 3D

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Properly Tuned Fisher CZ 3D
May 08, 2016 03:25PM
I've read that some CZ 3D detectors are hotter if they have certain serial numbers, because they were more likely to be 'tuned' properly during those production runs. After NASA Tom properly 'tunes' one will the serial number have any relevance on how hot the detector will be?

tabman
Re: Properly Tuned Fisher CZ 3D
May 08, 2016 08:19PM
I have a CZ 6a Tom tuned/converted and it's smooth running, stable and the deepest detector I own Tab. I really like it.
May 08, 2016 08:32PM
There was a post about this awhile back probally on next page or 2. I have a FT unit that is a 12.1 " unit so some new ones are hot. The original 1021,1121, are the originals which tent to be more consistently hot.
May 08, 2016 08:45PM
I think the Los Banos units where in general hotter ones. My CZ 6a was 11.3 on a dime before Tom tuned it to 11.9 . 11.3 is pretty hot and deep in my book as it was.
May 09, 2016 12:48PM
A properly tuned CZ3D is properly tuned regardless of the serial number and who properly tuned it, right? So a recent production run CZ3D properly tuned by Tom or the factory should be just as hot as one of the 1021 or 1121 production runs that was properly tuned to begin with, right? So having a properly tuned 1021 or 1121 CZ3D by Tom should be no hotter than a recent production run CZ3D properly tuned by Tom or the factory. Is there something more to the 1021 or 1121 other than it was more likely to be properly tuned to begin with?

I just purchased a used one, so I'm loaded up with questions. smiling smiley

tabman
May 09, 2016 01:27PM
tabman, Tom is obviously the expert on this one, I'm sure he'll chime in.

The cliff notes on this would be that proper tuning does not necessarily equate to superior depth.

According to what I've seen and what he's stated before, Tom can properly tune a cz-3d but he can only improve depth marginally, if at all.

welgund said above that he had a unit where Tom improved the depth by .6", that's as much of an increase I've ever seen Tom getting out of a cz.

As you can see by Harold's post, FT units are apparently capable of being deep, but the depth numbers I see for FT units are typically inferior to the Los Banos ones.
May 09, 2016 01:39PM
Hi tabman,,,,You seem to be confusing a hot detector with a properly tuned one....The older 3D's with the 1021 or 1121 serial numbers on average will be deeper but not always....Some of the newer ones have good depth too....A hotter deeper machine don't make it a better machine....Mine is not the deepest one out there but it also RARELY falses on iron/nails and runs very smooth and stable,mine is a 1021.....When Tom calibrates a machine, he aligns it so it functions as it was designed to be run with proper ID readings....It's a great piece of mind to know you are hunting with a properly tuned 3D.....JJ
May 09, 2016 03:05PM
I remember Tom saying a few years back He bought a brand new FT CZ-3D and it was a Hot 12" out of the box.
So He has had one also. And I have heard of some more. Another thing is mine was bought soon after the buy out so even though it was asembled by FT it has the original Los Banos parts. I think some newer parts are made elsewere and cheaper? I thought I heard Mexico, Trump's favorite Country. LOL!