Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The question of how long a person has been detecting-- Food for thought

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Yeeeee ha! = the bullsheet never stops and the egos just keep on pouring out around here! lol

Who cares how long anyone's been detecting in reality?? I mean = okay = some of us a few yrs, some 3 or 4 decades and some of us somewhere in between = can't we all just get along!?

What matters is getting out there and doing some diggin/having fun and learning/finding what you can and not worrying about who's been detecting X amount of time or that someone else has longer than you/etc.

and

SURELY no one needs to try and make themselves out to have more time in than they really have by coming up with all these cockamamie formulas involving IQ levels, how many hrs per day/week one guy puts in within a few yrs VS the 1000s and 1000s of hrs someone else has over a few decades/etc. = that's crazy talk! Either you have 1000s and 1000s of field hrs of time/experience in over X amount of time with dozens and dozens of machines or you don't = plain and simple (but if not) = no big deal either way... Just go out and dig/swing and enjoy what you learn/find along the way and bring your experience/s back to show off/talk about from time to time and CHILL dudes!

PS
I've been diggin since 1977 = does that matter!? lol
(disclaimer) = took a few yrs off during 82 - 85 or so chasing skirts and drinking beer with the buds = was a lot more fun at the time grinning smiley
Jeb
Re: The question of how long a person has been detecting-- Food for thought
May 10, 2016 10:20PM
I Can`t disagree with any of that either smileys with beer
May 10, 2016 11:41PM
well i started detecting in 1978.. but i was 11 then... school, girls,being dumb,working in pizza shop, working in store, etc took up alot of time... graduate 1985...work lots of hours til mid 1990s ...so from 1978 til mid 1990 i would say a day a week if i was lucky to swing my detector.... by this time ive upgraded to the new whites mxt i think in 1991? this machine made me a good detectorist ... working in a state prison i slowed down all the over time as it was killing me.. so..... at this time i started weekly hunts..til 2008 when i retired early due to being forced out by the state due to knee replacement and 2 back surgeries as the state figured i was a liability around inmates.. i make more being retired anyway..so this is when i started hunting several times a week.. now also i live in ohio so figure in winter.. i try to hunt til too frozen to dig. ive used about all of the detectors by whites, tesoro, first texas, some minelabs,makros, etc. i find alot of goodies and never post my finds.. im 49 years old and pretty healthy so im hoping the best years of detecting are ahead.. id love to get together with some guys on the forums.. now own a racer 2 with all coils and minelab 705 ..
Some people can hunt for 100 hours and learn more than some others aren't able to learn in thousands of hours. People's abilities differ.

In my book, youre an 'Expert' when you are the best of the best in both your knowledge and finds.
May 11, 2016 02:42AM
One thing is for certain and that is the vast amount of easy targets that were easy pickins back in the 70's and early 80's . Tons of relics and old coins were the norm. A gallon of wheaties a month was no problem if you hunted a few hours several days a week. And that was with pathetic machines by today's standards . The old A.H. Pro's were an eye opener disc wise though not very deep. Gold rings of all sizes and shapes were quite common as the pull tabs were not so thick in the early days.

I think that being in the hobby for over 40 years has made me realize just how much our machines have improved if nothing else.When I first got a Fisher 1265-X the depth made thing interesting for sure for me and my late Father who had several 5 gallon buckets of dirty wheat cents from the 70's and 80's, gallons of silver , thousands of Indians and hundreds of gold rings.

Having experienced those great time does not make me enjoy a single silver or Indian any less these days as it is all relative and the thrill is in the " chase " for me. I have a lot of old coins that are in boxes that are just the way I dug them because of said thrill. My gold dollar is not one of those dirty old coins by the way lol .
May 11, 2016 10:33PM
I want to thank the folks here who contributed to this thread.

The human brain and body,, it is different to a degree when we compare ourselves to others.

Some of what I said in this thread,,the examples I used about myself,,,could be considered in a sense cramming.

How does this term " cramming" relate to metal detecting.

Consider this.

Take a person who detects and receives a new to them detector-- a detector they have never used.

Would they learn more about the detector detecting for 12 hours a day for 5 days = 60 hours total ???
Or would they learn more using the detector for 5 hours a day for 12 days = 60 hours total??

I say they will learn more using the second scenario above.

Remember back in our school days,,the term cramming???
Why was a person cramming to begin with??? Was it to catch up,, like maybe they hadn't spent enough time studying or reviewing the needed material to begin with???

Can this talking about all this,,,be related to a person who does get a new detector.

I mean when reading here,,and don't worry I'm guilty too,,,when a person gets a new detector,,,let's say a person who works full time,,,they get their first Saturday off,, and off to the races they go with their new detector-- all excited and all.

They go out and spend all day with their detector taking advantage of their time off work.

After a couple weeks go by,,and they have had their longer detecting hunts,,, they become not overly impressed with their use of the detector and what it is doing for them.

Could if this person,,have been able to use their detector in more sessions,,yet shorter,,,,could this make a person after actually the same hours operated feel differently about their detector??

The same above,, can also be related to even folks who are just detecting out in the wild.

Our attentiveness, alertness,,,,our senses over time when concentrating gets dulled.

Do many folks even realize this is happening??? Maybe not,,and remember it is a gradual process-- up to a point,,and then our senses cave on a more nonlinear curve-- downward spiral.

The same can be applied not only to detecting,,, but driving,,our work,,other things in life we try to do for longer periods of time.

When we are younger,,,sure some will feel they don't get tired,,,but do they?? And remember there are both physical and mental components here,,,and each can degrade at different rates.

Folks new to detecting,,folks with new detectors may benefit here,,hopefully.

When some of the more experienced are even,out in the field detecting,,,try and pay close attention--- is your coil sweep techniques getting sloppier with time,,are you giving the same respect to signals detected-- the same respect during your entire hunts.
May 11, 2016 10:51PM
"Would they learn more about the detector detecting for 12 hours a day for 5 days = 60 hours total ???
Or would they learn more using the detector for 5 hours a day for 12 days = 60 hours total?? "

This depends on too many factors to list. I would say the latter because of different conditions each day. You will get a better sampling 12 days vs 5 days.

" After a couple weeks go by,,and they have had their longer detecting hunts,,, they become not overly impressed with their use of the detector and what it is doing for them."

This was in one of my posts about expectations vs reality. We all hold so much expectations when we get a new detector, after a while, the reality sets in and you realize that there were things that you didn't count on.

Overall a great topic gj tnss!
Jeb
May 11, 2016 11:11PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to thank the folks here who contributed to
> this thread.
>
> The human brain and body,, it is different to a
> degree when we compare ourselves to others.
>
> Some of what I said in this thread,,the examples I
> used about myself,,,could be considered in a sense
> cramming.
>
> How does this term " cramming" relate to metal
> detecting.
>
> Consider this.
>
> Take a person who detects and receives a new to
> them detector-- a detector they have never used.
>
> Would they learn more about the detector detecting
> for 12 hours a day for 5 days = 60 hours total
> ???
> Or would they learn more using the detector for 5
> hours a day for 12 days = 60 hours total??
>
> I say they will learn more using the second
> scenario above.
>
> Remember back in our school days,,the term
> cramming???
> Why was a person cramming to begin with??? Was it
> to catch up,, like maybe they hadn't spent enough
> time studying or reviewing the needed material to
> begin with???
>
> Can this talking about all this,,,be related to a
> person who does get a new detector.
>
> I mean when reading here,,and don't worry I'm
> guilty too,,,when a person gets a new
> detector,,,let's say a person who works full
> time,,,they get their first Saturday off,, and off
> to the races they go with their new detector-- all
> excited and all.
>
> They go out and spend all day with their detector
> taking advantage of their time off work.
>
> After a couple weeks go by,,and they have had
> their longer detecting hunts,,, they become not
> overly impressed with their use of the detector
> and what it is doing for them.
>
> Could if this person,,have been able to use their
> detector in more sessions,,yet shorter,,,,could
> this make a person after actually the same hours
> operated feel differently about their detector??
>
> The same above,, can also be related to even folks
> who are just detecting out in the wild.
>
> Our attentiveness, alertness,,,,our senses over
> time when concentrating gets dulled.
>
> Do many folks even realize this is happening???
> Maybe not,,and remember it is a gradual process--
> up to a point,,and then our senses cave on a more
> nonlinear curve-- downward spiral.
>
> The same can be applied not only to detecting,,,
> but driving,,our work,,other things in life we try
> to do for longer periods of time.
>
> When we are younger,,,sure some will feel they
> don't get tired,,,but do they?? And remember
> there are both physical and mental components
> here,,,and each can degrade at different rates.
>
> Folks new to detecting,,folks with new detectors
> may benefit here,,hopefully.
>
> When some of the more experienced are even,out in
> the field detecting,,,try and pay close
> attention--- is your coil sweep techniques getting
> sloppier with time,,are you giving the same
> respect to signals detected-- the same respect
> during your entire hunts.

Very eloquent expressionism ,but my brains gettin mashed now. Its all gettin a bit Deeeeeeeep now.confused smiley I mean a replys a reply ,but goddamit that`s an essay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 11:13PM by Jeb.

tnsharpshooter wrote:

I want to thank the folks here who contributed to this thread.

The human brain and body,, it is different to a degree when we compare ourselves to others.

Some of what I said in this thread,,the examples I used about myself,,,could be considered in a sense cramming.

How does this term " cramming" relate to metal detecting.

Consider this.

Take a person who detects and receives a new to them detector-- a detector they have never used.

Would they learn more about the detector detecting for 12 hours a day for 5 days = 60 hours total ???
Or would they learn more using the detector for 5 hours a day for 12 days = 60 hours total??

I say they will learn more using the second scenario above.

Remember back in our school days,,the term cramming???
Why was a person cramming to begin with??? Was it to catch up,, like maybe they hadn't spent enough time studying or reviewing the needed material to begin with???

Can this talking about all this,,,be related to a person who does get a new detector.

I mean when reading here,,and don't worry I'm guilty too,,,when a person gets a new detector,,,let's say a person who works full time,,,they get their first Saturday off,, and off to the races they go with their new detector-- all excited and all.

They go out and spend all day with their detector taking advantage of their time off work.

After a couple weeks go by,,and they have had their longer detecting hunts,,, they become not overly impressed with their use of the detector and what it is doing for them.

Could if this person,,have been able to use their detector in more sessions,,yet shorter,,,,could this make a person after actually the same hours operated feel differently about their detector??

The same above,, can also be related to even folks who are just detecting out in the wild.

Our attentiveness, alertness,,,,our senses over time when concentrating gets dulled.

Do many folks even realize this is happening??? Maybe not,,and remember it is a gradual process-- up to a point,,and then our senses cave on a more nonlinear curve-- downward spiral.

The same can be applied not only to detecting,,, but driving,,our work,,other things in life we try to do for longer periods of time.

When we are younger,,,sure some will feel they don't get tired,,,but do they?? And remember there are both physical and mental components here,,,and each can degrade at different rates.

Folks new to detecting,,folks with new detectors may benefit here,,hopefully.

When some of the more experienced are even,out in the field detecting,,,try and pay close attention--- is your coil sweep techniques getting sloppier with time,,are you giving the same respect to signals detected-- the same respect during your entire hunts.

Okay, so let me get this straight here. The whole point of this thread to begin with was how someone (seemingly you Tnss) could become just as experienced in like 5 years detecting the same as someone that has 12 or 15 years experience based on how much detecting they do (basically you suggested that if a person detects 12 hrs per day for 5 years straight) versus a guy that detected only 4 hrs per day for 12 years maybe 3 days a week that you would either have just as much or surpass him in experience in those 5 years (but now) in your last post here you say people should only detect 5 hrs over a 12 day period versus 12 hrs over a 5 day period because they'll learn more in those 12 days? If this is true then doesn't that defeat your entire initial thread/post to begin with here where you suggest that if people detect MORE/as much as they can within a shorter period of time that they will gain just as much experience in 5 yrs as someone with 12 yrs?? This is the most illogical kooky post I've seen here on this forum.

Is this guy for real??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 11:29PM by dirt-sifter.
May 12, 2016 01:17AM
dirt-sifter Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter wrote:
>
> I want to thank the folks here who contributed to
> this thread.
>
> The human brain and body,, it is different to a
> degree when we compare ourselves to others.
>
> Some of what I said in this thread,,the examples I
> used about myself,,,could be considered in a sense
> cramming.
>
> How does this term " cramming" relate to metal
> detecting.
>
> Consider this.
>
> Take a person who detects and receives a new to
> them detector-- a detector they have never used.
>
> Would they learn more about the detector detecting
> for 12 hours a day for 5 days = 60 hours total ???
>
> Or would they learn more using the detector for 5
> hours a day for 12 days = 60 hours total??
>
> I say they will learn more using the second
> scenario above.
>
> Remember back in our school days,,the term
> cramming???
> Why was a person cramming to begin with??? Was it
> to catch up,, like maybe they hadn't spent enough
> time studying or reviewing the needed material to
> begin with???
>
> Can this talking about all this,,,be related to a
> person who does get a new detector.
>
> I mean when reading here,,and don't worry I'm
> guilty too,,,when a person gets a new
> detector,,,let's say a person who works full
> time,,,they get their first Saturday off,, and off
> to the races they go with their new detector-- all
> excited and all.
>
> They go out and spend all day with their detector
> taking advantage of their time off work.
>
> After a couple weeks go by,,and they have had
> their longer detecting hunts,,, they become not
> overly impressed with their use of the detector
> and what it is doing for them.
>
> Could if this person,,have been able to use their
> detector in more sessions,,yet shorter,,,,could
> this make a person after actually the same hours
> operated feel differently about their detector??
>
> The same above,, can also be related to even folks
> who are just detecting out in the wild.
>
> Our attentiveness, alertness,,,,our senses over
> time when concentrating gets dulled.
>
> Do many folks even realize this is happening???
> Maybe not,,and remember it is a gradual process--
> up to a point,,and then our senses cave on a more
> nonlinear curve-- downward spiral.
>
> The same can be applied not only to detecting,,,
> but driving,,our work,,other things in life we try
> to do for longer periods of time.
>
> When we are younger,,,sure some will feel they
> don't get tired,,,but do they?? And remember there
> are both physical and mental components here,,,and
> each can degrade at different rates.
>
> Folks new to detecting,,folks with new detectors
> may benefit here,,hopefully.
>
> When some of the more experienced are even,out in
> the field detecting,,,try and pay close
> attention--- is your coil sweep techniques getting
> sloppier with time,,are you giving the same
> respect to signals detected-- the same respect
> during your entire hunts.
>
>
> Okay, so let me get this straight here. The whole
> point of this thread to begin with was how someone
> (seemingly you Tnss) could become just as
> experienced in like 5 years detecting the same as
> someone that has 12 or 15 years experience based
> on how much detecting they do (basically you
> suggested that if a person detects 12 hrs per day
> for 5 years straight) versus a guy that detected
> only 4 hrs per day for 12 years maybe 3 days a
> week that you would either have just as much or
> surpass him in experience in those 5 years (but
> now) in your last post here you say people should
> only detect 5 hrs over a 12 day period versus 12
> hrs over a 5 day period because they'll learn more
> in those 12 days? If this is true then doesn't
> that defeat your entire initial thread/post to
> begin with here where you suggest that if people
> detect MORE/as much as they can within a shorter
> period of time that they will gain just as much
> experience in 5 yrs as someone with 12 yrs?? This
> is the most illogical kooky post I've seen here on
> this forum.
>
> Is this guy for real??

If you will go back and read where I iniatially posted,,,I spoke of detecting time-- not experience.

Also it would only seem reasonable to say,, not all detecting time is as learning to folks. Some actual time,, more learning will take place than other time.

And the post above sorta sniffs this out as to the reasons why.

And the point of this post was not as you say above,,now I could be used as an example-- actually I did this,,,but the original intent partially was to show,,, there could be actual larger differences of actual detecting time vs what a person claims years wise they have been detecting--- and this could depend on what other commitments besides detecting a person has and where they generally detect geographic wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 01:23AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 12, 2016 01:53AM
If you're passionate about detecting the time spent and the experience take care of themselves...And you'll never bat an eye at it...

WHY??confused smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 12, 2016 03:00AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> If you're passionate about detecting the time
> spent and the experience take care of
> themselves...And you'll never bat an eye at it...
>
> WHY??confused smiley
>
>
> Keith

I figure I am a passionate detectorists. Ever read many of my finds post??? Just how descriptive are they??? I try and go the extra mile when I write them.
I also try to share info,,,that might help folks.

Experience levels and passion are 2 different things,,,a rookie can have a lot of passion,,,a long time ( field hours) detectorist maybe not. Some folks passion actually increases with time,, some may actually decrease--- and a lot of different things can influence.

Are you asking the why behind this thread???

If so,,I don't think anything I posted is untrue or exaggerated,,it is detecting related.
Now some folks may disagree with what I said,,,they are entitled to that.

But some folks may actually read and learn something.

Actually I learned something just by thinking as I wrote what I said.

I should remind folks,,some of this has been mentioned or talked about previously on this forum,, I know because I remember-- been some years back though.

I think it was NASA Tom who spoke about.

A little refresher of sorts don't hurt.

It seems at least folks do read generally what I post,,sometimes with some of the responses my comments draw,,I wonder why??

I do think about things,, a lot of times maybe in greater detail than other folks..maybe this is hard sometimes for folks to understand.

I did like yours and the other gents mini Bios on detecting throughout life in general.

Maybe one day we wil meet in person...
May 12, 2016 04:05AM
I commented and then left the WHY as................ why did I say that...

Because a true passion for something is not the type thing you would consider to be some sort of Discipline ...Detecting can be very organic if you allow yourself to accept it and treat it as your personal quest...

If a person is detecting for finds and for profit and for Bragging rights there detecting for all the wrong reason's or even a ego boost or even thinking they know more than the next guy..I'm afraid they are missing the whole point of detecting...

Detecting for me and the People I Associate with is about the peace and tranquility and enjoyment of full filling personal quest and goals and challenges and preserving history however small it may be...There's a certain reverence to it especially the artifact retrieval and especially off a site that your intimate with down to understanding the hardships the ones who where here long ago suffered even knowing there names at times and their family names..

I do not hunt with blow hards or ego driven know it all types ..Life's too short to destroy ONE of my true great loves..

The thing's I choose to talk about and the things I choose not to talk about on the net is my choices..and Yes I don't talk about alot of things...Another why??? Because telling people why they need to treat the passion a certain way sort of destroys the unexpected fulfillment they will ultimately achieve if their enamored enough with the quest..

This is Why I posted the passion response..

The main thing I want people in the world to do is discover things for themselves and have their own opinions and Ideas..

I want people to figure things out for there self and then talk about it in a LOOK WHAT I DISCOVERED post..

Talk to me not at me type info is what I like to hear..

I see quite a few on here I know are Figuring things out and I love to see it developing...I can tell by their wording and excitement of their findings material wise and especially mental wise...

You know what my favorite thing to see is a trivial find shown but the passion they have for WHERE they found it in a site they deemed Worked out or un-huntable...

Kevin is one of them....He send's me text photos on find's or calls me and I can tell he's on cloud nine...and he's become quite the detectorist over the last few years and he's done it with a raw PASSION and ZEAL..

there's others too...

I really don't have any thing to say other than please people who read post on forums have a passion for getting out there and thinking outside the box..develop your techniques FOR YOU..you can read all you want but nothing in the world will stick with you like dedicated hunger..

Don't over complicate things enjoy it and love it and as time rolls on you will be quite the detectorist through your experiences..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 12, 2016 04:34AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I commented and then left the WHY
> as................ why did I say that...
>
> Because a true passion for something is not the
> type thing you would consider to be some sort of
> Discipline ...Detecting can be very organic if
> you allow yourself to accept it and treat it as
> your personal quest...
>
> If a person is detecting for finds and for profit
> and for Bragging rights there detecting for all
> the wrong reason's or even a ego boost or even
> thinking they know more than the next guy..I'm
> afraid they are missing the whole point of
> detecting..
>
> Detecting for me and the People I Associate with
> is about the peace and tranquility and enjoyment
> of full filling personal quest and goals and
> challenges and preserving history however small it
> may be...There's a certain reverence to it
> especially the artifact retrieval and especially
> off a site that your intimate with down to
> understanding the hardships the ones who where
> here long ago suffered even knowing there names at
> times and their family names..
>
> I do not hunt with blow hards or ego driven know
> it all types ..Life's too short to destroy ONE of
> my true great loves..
>
> The thing's I choose to talk about and the things
> I choose not to talk about on the net is my
> choices..and Yes I don't talk about alot of
> things...Another why??? Because telling people
> why they need to treat the passion a certain way
> sort of destroys the unexpected fulfillment they
> will ultimately achieve if their enamored enough
> with the quest..
>
> This is Why I posted the passion response..
>
> The main thing I want people in the world to do is
> discover things for themselves and have their own
> opinions and Ideas..

>
> I want people to figure things out for there self
> and then talk about it in a LOOK WHAT I DISCOVERED
> post..
>
> Talk to me not at me type info is what I like to
> hear..
>
> I see quite a few on here I know are Figuring
> things out and I love to see it developing...I can
> tell by their wording and excitement of their
> findings material wise and especially mental
> wise...
>
> You know what my favorite thing to see is a
> trivial find shown but the passion they have for
> WHERE they found it in a site they deemed Worked
> out or un-huntable...
>
> Kevin is one of them....He send's me text photos
> on find's or calls me and I can tell he's on cloud
> nine...and he's become quite the detectorist over
> the last few years and he's done it with a raw
> PASSION and ZEAL..
>
> there's others too...
>
> I really don't have any thing to say other than
> please people who read post on forums have a
> passion for getting out there and thinking outside
> the box..develop your techniques FOR YOU..you can
> read all you want but nothing in the world will
> stick with you like dedicated hunger..
>
> Don't over complicate things enjoy it and love it
> and as time rolls on you will be quite the
> detectorist through your experiences..
>
> Keith

+1 Keith! That is exactly what i was saying in my last post about posting finds and detecting for all the wrong reasons.
May 12, 2016 04:42AM
Well Keith,

I have spent around $18,000 on metal detecting equipment.

If I sold and cashed in all my finds as of date (I haven't sold any btw). They might bring $250. So we can scratch the detecting for loot thing.

Now,,this folks learning on their own concept you mention.

I guess then we should turn the Dankowski Detecting forum into a metal detector " Finds Only" forum.

No discussion of detector performance,,no you tubes posted--- let folks buy and learn on their own.

No tests posted of detectors either.

I guess anyone who indeed wants to learn everything on their own--- should not be here maybe.

Some folks obviously don't post as much as others when it comes to specific detector operation while in the field.
And this is okay by me.
But I enjoy posting about what I see and hear in the field while detecting.

You sure haven't seen very much prize find pics or info where I have posted,,,but this hasn't kept my interest down or disgusted me with detecting overall.

I hope everyone finds their find of a life time,,or even more than one.

I have never commented ever here on this forum,,, to another member where whatever info they were passing to others is indeed wrong on unethical.

I figure I am in no position to judge.

But if NASA Tom posts here and tells me--- I will certainly heed.

Btw,,I have received several PMs from folks on this forum and others,,,,thanking me for their help.

And who was it here who posted originally about using F75 disc level 6 or 7 using monotone to sniff targets out of iron???
I have never seen this ever printed in the owner's manual for the detector.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 05:07AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 12, 2016 05:19AM
Y'all yung fellas sho am sumpin!!!----Sum of tha purdiest words such as ah never dun herd before!!!-----I jest no tha ah could be a better tectorist if ah could jest fine tha shi--in tector!!!----Now WHERE did I leave that thing this time???------Ah never had that trouble when I started this 41 yrs. ago (I don't think I did anyway)!------No, I ain't hittin the hooch-never touch the stuff---just trying to loosen this post/thread up a little with what (may) pass as a little humor.smiling smiley-------For cryin out loud guys--just get out there & enjoy yourselves without worrying about how long the other guy has or hasn't been detecting, his/her skill level, etc.-----This great hobby is supposed to be about fun--not blood letting.-----For me, it's just as fun now (maybe more so) than it was when I started 41 yrs. ago.----I do try to learn something every time out & it's fascinating--a continual learning experience--but the enjoyment of the detecting experience ALWAYS COMES FIRST!-----My wife & I are both retired, both detect & we travel a lot (RV)---so for years we have pretty much been blessed to be able to detect pretty much year around.---but---the person(s) that gets out detecting after work or on week ends are JUST AS blessed-----it's all about enjoyment my friends.----------Del
May 12, 2016 05:21AM
Stop talking...and just go detecting! My God..some of you guys are so long winded eye popping smiley
May 12, 2016 05:34AM
Knowledge is gained by reading/watching videos, learning from others, and spending time in the field. A person doesn't have to have a lot of years or hours under their belt to be knowledgeable about a subject. They can read up on it and know all the facts about it, etc. Knowledge is information, wisdom is the understanding and application of that knowledge.

Wisdom is gained by the past experiences of doing things and learning from doing them. Knowledge is merely having clarity of facts and truths, while wisdom is the practical ability to make consistently good decisions in life.

Sadly we can gain a lifetime of knowledge, yet never see the wisdom in it.

Knowledge is measuring that a desert path is 12.4 miles long.

Wisdom is packing enough water for the hike.

Insight is building a lemonade stand at mile 6. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 05:35AM by Daniel Tn.
May 12, 2016 06:55AM
Did I miss something...I'm talking about how I like to see people learning to appreciate the passion of detecting and somehow I'm a anti detecting person???

And appreciate detecting for the Right reason's and I'm antit detecting ..Yet I'm sure I contribute a small; amount of info here on all the things you say I'm against..

We discuss the equipment to buy the way to set it up and even the areas to go hunt but till you spend the time in the site with the detector you will never truly learn..

Your the one who started the thread about field time..I was just adding insight..You mention a person could hunt 5 years and know what a 12 year hunter knows..then I would hope yuo would hunt 12 years an know what a 30 year hunter knows...because that's the one thing you cant omit..experience in the field.No matter how much you hunt you can alwasy learn more..

I think you know goodin well I post enough videos and an give enough advice how ever small it may be.that your thoughts are problematic..

TNSS wrote
"I guess then we should turn the Dankowski Detecting forum into a metal detector " Finds Only" forum.

No discussion of detector performance,,no you tubes posted"

That's the stuff I do on here on a regular basis I'm pretty sure..and happy to do a small part...

I'm trying to tell people that field time will never be replaced by anything you read or watch ..

I don't see why you take that as a problem ..

Don't take things so serious man!

Its not about YOU its not about ME, its about US...all Detectorist matter.... LOL!!

Keith

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Well Keith,
>
> I have spent around $18,000 on metal detecting
> equipment.
>
> If I sold and cashed in all my finds as of date (I
> haven't sold any btw). They might bring $250. So
> we can scratch the detecting for loot thing.
>
> Now,,this folks learning on their own concept you
> mention.
>
> I guess then we should turn the Dankowski
> Detecting forum into a metal detector " Finds
> Only" forum.
>
> No discussion of detector performance,,no you
> tubes posted--- let folks buy and learn on their
> own.
>
> No tests posted of detectors either.
>
> I guess anyone who indeed wants to learn
> everything on their own--- should not be here
> maybe.
>
> Some folks obviously don't post as much as others
> when it comes to specific detector operation while
> in the field.
> And this is okay by me.
> But I enjoy posting about what I see and hear in
> the field while detecting.
>
> You sure haven't seen very much prize find pics or
> info where I have posted,,,but this hasn't kept my
> interest down or disgusted me with detecting
> overall.
>
> I hope everyone finds their find of a life
> time,,or even more than one.
>
> I have never commented ever here on this forum,,,
> to another member where whatever info they were
> passing to others is indeed wrong on unethical.
>
> I figure I am in no position to judge.
>
> But if NASA Tom posts here and tells me--- I will
> certainly heed.
>
> Btw,,I have received several PMs from folks on
> this forum and others,,,,thanking me for their
> help.
>
> And who was it here who posted originally about
> using F75 disc level 6 or 7 using monotone to
> sniff targets out of iron???
> I have never seen this ever printed in the owner's
> manual for the detector.

Whao!

Making friends are we!?
Jeb
May 12, 2016 07:54AM
Well ,my last post appears to have been deleted . All two lines of it . All I commented on was the initial composer of this thread was possibly becoming guilty of writing too long winded posts instead of a concise one and I don`t know about you guys ,but a long winded essay can become very tedious to get through and actually becomes in danger of turning the thread, dare I say "boring" . Or maybe I`m being too critical ?
May 12, 2016 12:57PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Did I miss something...I'm talking about how I
> like to see people learning to appreciate the
> passion of detecting and somehow I'm a anti
> detecting person???
>
> And appreciate detecting for the Right reason's
> and I'm antit detecting ..Yet I'm sure I
> contribute a small; amount of info here on all the
> things you say I'm against..
>
>
> We discuss the equipment to buy the way to set it
> up and even the areas to go hunt but till you
> spend the time in the site with the detector you
> will never truly learn..
>
> Your the one who started the thread about field
> time..I was just adding insight..You mention a
> person could hunt 5 years and know what a 12 year
> hunter knows..then I would hope yuo would hunt 12
> years an know what a 30 year hunter
> knows...because that's the one thing you cant
> omit..experience in the field.No matter how much
> you hunt you can alwasy learn more..
>
> I think you know goodin well I post enough videos
> and an give enough advice how ever small it may
> be.that your thoughts are problematic..
>
> TNSS wrote
> "I guess then we should turn the Dankowski
> Detecting forum into a metal detector " Finds
> Only" forum.
>
> No discussion of detector performance,,no you
> tubes posted"
>
> That's the stuff I do on here on a regular basis
> I'm pretty sure..and happy to do a small part...
>
> I'm trying to tell people that field time will
> never be replaced by anything you read or watch
> ..
>
> I don't see why you take that as a problem ..
>
> Don't take things so serious man!
>
> Its not about YOU its not about ME, its about
> US...all Detectorist matter.... LOL!!
>
>
> Keith
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Keith

I have never discounted field time as being important anywhere on this forum ever-- please show me where I have

Actually quite the opposite,,I have at times stated,,if a person for whatever reason can't get to a site to detect,,,to actually get out in the yards if nothing else,,,to listen to their detector as they sweep.

To keep in tune with their detector--- it's language

This thread was not an attack on field time-- but rather to show actual filed time may not be what a person might think,,when looking at for face value.

I sure haven't made any statements trying to label folks here or any one person by using terms like informed with low field time,,no it alls, blowhards, etc

If you will look around,, I state in many places where I haven't been around xxx model detector,,,I sure ain't the lone ranger who can help folks identify their finds most times--- so I really don't know exactly what you mean when you reach into your bag of tricks ---- are basing these little descriptive adjectives and pronouns, and nouns on.

I can say this,,unless I die or become incapacitated I sure ain't going anywhere-- I'll be here, count on it.

You seem to be overly defensive here about this thread-- I mean facts are just that facts,,and I already stated this thread was not to target anyone or any group.

Field time,,actual time in the field,,at least my experiences are-- some time will provide more finds,,some time will provide more learning,,some time will do both

No one here gets to single out and gets to pick and choose what one person can post or talk about vs another person.

If Mr Dankowski comments and puts a different light on this-- I have already stated I will listen and heed what he has to say,,but not you.

I have learned things here actually from you Keith,,and many, many more folks--- actually some of these folks it seems don't have boat loads of in field time,,,I value folks comments and thoughts,,I enjoy looking at their finds too.

Do I wish
I knew more about detecting,,and actually had some experience with some other units??? You bet.

But like ole Clint has said,,,A man has got to know his limitations.
May 12, 2016 01:39PM
I rest my case...

I see where this is going..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 12, 2016 01:56PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Knowledge is gained by reading/watching videos,
> learning from others, and spending time in the
> field. A person doesn't have to have a lot of
> years or hours under their belt to be
> knowledgeable about a subject. They can read up on
> it and know all the facts about it, etc.
> Knowledge is information, wisdom is the
> understanding and application of that knowledge.
>
>
> Wisdom is gained by the past experiences of doing
> things and learning from doing them. Knowledge is
> merely having clarity of facts and truths, while
> wisdom is the practical ability to make
> consistently good decisions in life.
>
> Sadly we can gain a lifetime of knowledge, yet
> never see the wisdom in it.
>
> Knowledge is measuring that a desert path is 12.4
> miles long.
>
> Wisdom is packing enough water for the hike.
>
> Insight is building a lemonade stand at mile 6.
> smiling smiley

For such a short post---- much conveyed
May 12, 2016 03:04PM
Hi,,,,If you think of metal detecting like playing a guitar....You could read every magazine/book available in the world....You could watch videos/dvd's until you was blue in the face....You could read everything on the guitar/music forums a gazillion times....You could listen to every word Tom Dick & Harry and even Mary has to say....You could have the ability to read any or all of the sheet music available in the world....You could have enough talent to compose a symphony.....You could continue to do this for five decades or even ten decades.....And guess what???? You still would not be able to play a guitar.....Your fingers would not know what to do even though your brain is telling them what & how to do it....The magical mystery mythology of metal detecting continues.....Meanwhile back at the ranch....,, sometimes maybe you just can't fix STUPID....LoL....JJ

PS: The above analogy is not directed towards anyone....It kinda looks like there is some Tabasco Sauce being poured on this food for thought..LoL..
May 12, 2016 04:02PM
We surely do like metal detecting and metal detectors drinking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 06:58PM by Mike Hillis.
May 12, 2016 05:00PM
Keith Southern has forgotten more about detecting than I'll ever know. He is hardcore in the best sense of the word.

There are many knowledgeable folks on this forum, but compared to Keith most of us are detecting illiterates.

When you look at those few who are truly "gurus" of the hobby like Keith, the one constant you see is a lot of hours spent detecting. There is no substitute for hours in the field.

And fortunately for the rest of us, he freely shares his knowledge on this forum. It's obvious that he does it because of his love of the hobby, not for personal glory.
May 12, 2016 05:05PM
Tnss,
You I believe you became offended over a misinterpretation. Reading back, I'm not sure what it was.

I know one thing from being here on this forum....is that Keith Southern doesn't have a cantankerous molecule in him. He isn't a puffed up guy and will tend to stay away from arguments. I think you know this and my question to you is.. why the lashing? You are a very intelligent person and I do enjoy reading your thoughts.....some are off the wall, but at the same time, interesting.

Keith, I hope this misunderstanding doesn't keep you from posting, teaching and handing to us your years of experience....it's gold man, gold.

Say we start over and re-boot.
May 12, 2016 06:46PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Tnss,
> You I believe you became offended over a
> misinterpretation. Reading back, I'm not sure what
> it was.
>
> I know one thing from being here on this
> forum....is that Keith Southern doesn't have a
> cantankerous molecule in him. He isn't a puffed up
> guy and will tend to stay away from arguments. I
> think you know this and my question to you is..
> why the lashing? You are a very intelligent person
> and I do enjoy reading your thoughts.....some are
> off the wall, but at the same time, interesting.
>
> Keith, I hope this misunderstanding doesn't keep
> you from posting, teaching and handing to us your
> years of experience....it's gold man, gold.
>
> Say we start over and re-boot.

I am not offended in the least-- just setting the record straight.

I do understand what passion is,,,but isn't it like beauty-- meaning it is in the eye of the beholder,,,surely we all think our wives and husbands are beautiful people,,,but someone else may think my wife is not so beautiful

I have not called any one here names or labeled them with any trite expressions.

I sure don't appreciate when someone calls me out for passing some info I saw when using a detector as Wrong,,,,when the same person seems to post about anything and everything both in text and videos-- and this it seems is OK to do.

When this thread is viewed objectively,,,what I have stated as far as detecting time-- does have some merit,,, at least the way I see it.

I even thanked folks here by sharing their detecting careers ( time wise) -- no need for the rest
May 12, 2016 10:46PM
I think knowledge is what you get the most of that can't be gain in 5 years or 10 years or even 15 I started in 1969 the knowledge I gained is not the machine it's what came out of a site I have been on 100s and 100s of different sites . I know what was found there I know what sites were bad and what were good this is knowledge you will never get again unless you were there first . So now that detectors have improved I hit the best sites first I know how deep the coins are shallow or deep what areas produced the most and what areas were bad .

Being that I have started so long ago gives me a great advantage compared to a newbie because I know what was there to start with . Reading the internet will not give you this imformation only someone that will share this with you will be the only way you will ever know .

Don't matter if your the best detectorist in the world know your machine better than anybody if you don't have a spot you will not be successful . Heck a 50 dollar detector in the right place well smoke a 2500 dollar machine it's simple it's all about the site . If you have the sites you will be successful enough said . sube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 11:16PM by sube.