Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Earlier model detectors performance on nickels

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
May 11, 2016 12:41AM
If we dialed the clock back to the 1970s and early 1980s time frame,,,,were the detectors back then better performing or worse compared to say copper or silver??

I am asking this because I'm not finding that many nickels vs pennies and dimes.

Or is it,,I believe I read here somewhere I think it was NASA Tom,,,where nickels were used for school lunches.

I haven't hunted around many old schools,,more like old houses and some small older done way with stores.

There was also a fad of sorts around here by a select group of older gents,,,around 1977 who all had bought metal detectors,,I don't know which brands/ models though,,and they were old house busters,,,and many of these old houses were cleaner vegetation wise then compared to now.
May 11, 2016 04:43AM
I am going to chime in here as this has been an issue with me since way back in the 80's when I was swinging a Teknetics Mark I with audio Target ID. I got into the bad habit of doing some audio cherry picking and I found very few old or new nickels. After a few years, I converted over to using a White's Eagle and BING, suddenly I was finding nickels all over the place. The detectors were using the same frequency, but the eagle did not have audio target ID. (I will say that all of my White's detectors and my CZ's were great at finding nickels)

Ever since then, I've had to be careful about zoning out mentally on nickels when using detectors with audio target ID.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 07:17AM by Gonebeepin'.
Re: Earlier model detectors performance on nickels
May 11, 2016 07:46PM
Heck the original CZ6 which is about 25 years old was a nickle killer and so were the other CZ models right up to the CZ3D....
May 11, 2016 09:26PM
My old CZ5 was hot on nickels. I would say a very close second to my etrac.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 12, 2016 03:20AM
Fisher CZ series, every one was a nickle killer.
May 12, 2016 03:47AM
I have never ran or been around a CZ series model detector-- this info is all very learning for me.

Sounds like there maybe have been of 1 or 2 of these nickel monsters creeping around here over the years.
May 12, 2016 04:20AM
Hi TSS,,,,"If we dialed the clock back to the 1970s and early 1980s time frame,,,,were the detectors back then better performing or worse compared to say copper or silver??".........The CZ's did not come out until the 90's....LoL....All of my machines were lower frequency machines they were hotter on silver & copper and weaker on nickels....I did not find that many nickels back then, I still have and use some of my older machines.....They are just as good if not better than most modern machines.........JJ
May 12, 2016 06:21AM
I still use my Cz 6a and Cz 3d and they are killers on nickels. I started out with a Whites Spectrum in the late 80's and what made me sell it off and buy the Cz 6a was that the Whites almost never found more than one or two nickels in a days hunt, even when I dug pockets full of change in old school grounds. That made me wonder how much gold I was missing. The Cz 6a totally shocked me the first few times out with the amount of nickels dug and the great depth that it hit them at. Still among my favorite land machines old or new...Stuart