Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Descrimination and Depth on Racer 2

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Descrimination and Depth on Racer 2
May 11, 2016 11:47AM
I run a tight coin pattern when looking for coins with my E Trac and wondering if I run decrim. up to 70 (haven't used mine yet) then notch nickels back in will it affect the depth on this MD? I remember on my Gold bug it affected depth when I ran descrim. up just for coins. Also how would I set the tone break to give mid tone for nickels and then high tone for the upper coin area or will the default setting do that already? thanks JR
Re: Descrimination and Depth on Racer 2
May 11, 2016 02:59PM
The simple answer is, you will lose depth. TID changes with depth. For example, deeper nickels will come in at around 25-28 bouncy all over as well. However, if you run a tight pattern on a deep target, you may not hear it. Remember after 7-8 inches or so, there will be no TID but you will get a tone. So my recommendation, is to use the disc in areas where coins are 5 or less inches and for close to the surface stuff, that is where it excels. As for the deep stuff, dig good tones with no TID. I do not have enough time with the tone break to provide info.
May 11, 2016 06:16PM
Guess I will just make one and see how it works. By tight it will have a few numbers to bounce with. Bought mainly for the towel line and in the fields or tot lots looking for clad or jewelry to kill time. If I am looking for something deep with a TID can't beat my E Trac. It would seem if a machine can hit it you could write the software that would at least do better than go blank. Even the ET has a change of numbers when it ID deep coins mostly on the ferrous side. Its all in the math.
May 11, 2016 06:31PM
I've found that deep nickels will come in as a high tone on the R1 and R2. I haven't had the issue with no TID at depth, and I've dug some 8-9" deep coins.

I do run my R1/R2 with as little discrimination as possible (typically 1-5), 3-tones works better for coins, and as per Tom's recommendations I find running the gain as high as possible works the best (usually lock it in at 98). The adjustable iron audio and adjustable tone break are great features on the R2. I do feel the R1 might get a bit better raw depth, but the R2 certainly isn't lacking in the depth dept.
May 11, 2016 07:27PM
What he said except where the R2 trumps is deep mode, WOW! I'd run the least amount of disc and learn the audio. The 5" coil depth will blow your mind.Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've found that deep nickels will come in as a
> high tone on the R1 and R2. I haven't had the
> issue with no TID at depth, and I've dug some 8-9"
> deep coins.
>
> I do run my R1/R2 with as little discrimination as
> possible (typically 1-5), 3-tones works better for
> coins, and as per Tom's recommendations I find
> running the gain as high as possible works the
> best (usually lock it in at 98). The adjustable
> iron audio and adjustable tone break are great
> features on the R2. I do feel the R1 might get a
> bit better raw depth, but the R2 certainly isn't
> lacking in the depth dept.
May 12, 2016 03:03AM
Getting out Friday in a spot made for the 5" and will take all the tips you guys that have used it have given. So busy I haven't even been able to get out back in my 5 year old test garden to test this theory. I was just wondering if it caused a reduction of depth as well as does notch affect depth. The light weight of the Md makes it great for a great spin in the park or field. Sounds like I can but have to give it a little more room for the numbers to bounce a little. E Trac is staying at the house. Thanks JR
May 12, 2016 06:42AM
depth will vary greatly with the r2, ive seen some testers boasting they can get 14 inch on small copper coins even though in there test videos they haven't bothered to GB the machine, or they dont show the ground mineralisation etc so im wary of most manufacture sponsored tester videos, unless of course it's one of the credible testers found on here. In my area its minimum 3-4 bar soil so 9-10 inch max on a large copper coin, 5-6 inch on small silver coins all with bouncy tid, i also have the nel 13x12 coil which helps 'slightly' with tid and depth in pasture, but not worth the purchase price/extra weight for the small gain imho.