Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How many people sell there finds or some of them?

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How many people sell there finds or some of them?
May 13, 2016 12:00AM
I haven't sold anything. Thought about but didn't.

Rick
Re: How many people sell there finds or some of them?
May 13, 2016 12:05AM
I won't ever sell any of my finds--- one exception might be if it is super rare and worth boatloads,,,fat chance of that happening.

And the reason I would sell the extreme high dollar one if found,,,not for the loot necessarily but more for security-- like being stolen.
May 13, 2016 12:05AM
I sold off about 3/4 of my collection several years ago. At the time, I was in a state of mind that was basically like this: when I'm dead and gone, nobody is going to know what the stuff is, or what it is worth, and nobody is going to want it. I regret selling some of it now. I would like to have some of the things back. I was down at North GA Relics just today and Don had gotten in several display cases of relics. He hadn't gone through them yet or priced them. He said they came from a death in a family; the guy had relic hunted a long time, and had recently passed away. None of his children wanted the relics so they took them to the relic store to see what they could get out of them.
May 13, 2016 12:21AM
i have sold alot of my finds several times over the last 38 years.. have funded several vacations, paid for several of my pistols and paid for some detectors.. i have no reason to keep all of it.. some special finds i keep but just as daniel said, kids wont have a clue what to do with all of it...last fall i sold of just enough of my silver dimes to buy another carry pistol..
May 13, 2016 12:30AM
Sold 99% of everything I've ever dug since 1977 until about 3 yrs ago

I do it in cycles

collect up for about 5 yrs and then sell most except a few of the best

then repeat

I'm about 2 yrs from doing it again

It's all helped me to fund vacations, a honeymoon, multiple detectors/equipment, and tools related for my business (not to mention paid a few bills too).

Like someone else said = kids won't know what to do with it when I'm gone and/or will sell it for next to nothing, can't take it with me and I'd rather enjoy the fruits of my labor while I'm able grinning smiley
May 13, 2016 12:58AM
About every 5-6 years I sell off almost all my silver coins and gold and silver jewelry and been doing so since I started the hobby back in 1972. No reason not to. HH jim tn
May 13, 2016 01:55AM
Ive sold off some things like How many bullets can you have..1 specimen each is enough for me..Sold 23,000 bullets off over a course of a while..sounds like alot but really wasn't..

In this campaign it rained alot and bullets got dumped like crazy 40 at a time by 175,000 men for day's on in would create a lot of bullet's..

Duplicate buckles...etc..

Ive sold off things that was not Civil War related too..Here and there,,,

Lots of 20th century coins especially Silver over the years..

Rebel relics stay with me though..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 13, 2016 02:22AM
I've sold a few rare tokens, coins, and some miscellaneous stuff only to upgrade machines. I've paid for about 90% of all my gear buy selling finds. Xp dues, R2, Tesoros Eldorado. I kinda regret selling the stuff but have a lot more fun with my machines than I ever have with a coin sitting in my case for yrs.
May 13, 2016 02:41AM
Always said I wouldnt. Came across a unique site/opportunity in the last 6 months and have accumulated about 400-500 civil war bullets with more coming. Sold/traded for detecting items at a local shop..
May 13, 2016 03:34AM
Sold of every thing i had when i got hurt with my back and was out of work for 3 years, Now i dont find much not a lot left and only able to hunt on my feet about 2 hours at a time. but most of it i found just walking out my back door. going to leave what little i got to my grandson, they can tell him pawpaw found it on his farm. Be 52 this fall and when most of use using this forum or gone on it will be no more civil war relic hunting to speak of i bet.
May 13, 2016 12:28PM
I sent a bunch of my scrap gold into ARA a few years ago, the only time I have ever sold any of my finds.
Still kept the better rings and most that still had their diamonds that I will eventually sell at retail but I wanted to gather some money up to buy an F70 and for another more important and specific reason.

This hobby gets me off of my butt, out of the house, some exercise and some welcome peace and relaxation.
It is also much fun, even if I am digging trash.
What also is fun for me is when I can give advice to people that helps to make them more successful and happy, and closer to home when I have the chance to make someone I love happy.

My wife is very loving and supportive of my hobby, even though she never will understand what is actually fun about digging in the dirt.
She knows it is something I am passionate about and enjoy so very much, and that is enough for her.

A few years ago, even though she was working full time with no support at all, she managed to put herself through school and get her degree...something she was planning to do for years but something always got in the way.
She worked hard for this degree, and she was very proud of herself for accomplishing this as well she should be.
I met and married her after this, and last year she finally told me that the one regret she had was that she could not afford to buy a college ring at the time.
I knew what I had to do.

I could have just bought her the ring with some everyday earned money, but that did not seem like it was enough.
I wanted to buy her this ring with money that I worked for, sweated for, spent much time learning new skills to gather this ring money so it would have that much more meaning and "sweat equity" for the both of us.
At the end of that year I gathered up a lot of the gold I had found, and worked hard to find by the way, and cashed it in and then dumped it onto her card we use for all her internet purchases and she ordered her ring...about $6- $700 or so from what I remember.

It takes awhile to get these things made up but eventually she finally received a little package.
That ring is on her hand now, she seems to love it and she will probably not take it off...ever.

The good thing is there is now one less permanent finger for other rings that I find that she would normally take from me, but I am not sure that will really stop her because she does have a jewelry box.

Anyway, she is happy, I am thrilled I could make her happy, and doing all this for her by way of this wonderful hobby makes it all that much sweeter.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 12:40PM by diggwr27.
May 13, 2016 02:13PM
Yep some silver coins over the years to buy hobby tools...Quite a few gold objects that were broken or poor condition also...Have to admit gave away some nice jewelry to relatives or friends when gold was low rather than get scrap value...Still smile a tad inside when I see them being worn. Basically the hobby has kept me going physically and mentally but unfortunately not rich...
May 13, 2016 02:32PM
Only sold my scrap silver coins and one 1895o Barber dime for $1,000.00 as I had found two of them.