Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Silver with a Chain with R2 and 5" OOR

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Silver with a Chain with R2 and 5" OOR
May 15, 2016 12:21PM
The main reasons I got the R2 was for the 5" coil, fast recovery and for the towel line at the beach. While I haven't tested yet in wet sand that is normally where I use my E Trac. I was able for my first hunt to go to the old Rock Hill fairgrounds that Winthrop College owns and is a fenced property. My hunting buddy has permission and over the last couple of years we have pulled a lot of silver from there. Lately silver finds have come to a halt but thought this would be the spot to start with. The ground changes from one area to another in minerals so I use ground tracking. You can watch the meter go up and down as you move around. I used the setup that JFlynn recommended and it was a noisy day to say the least. Yet moving slowly through I was able to pick out the high tones.
First high tone I called my friend over who was using a ET with a 6x8 and a tight coin pattern to see if the MD could see it. It nulled so opened it up to Quick Mask and just seeing iron yet the R2 with iron audio off and no descrim. but at 10 for iron you could plainly hear the high tone. Flipped the plug and there is a silver chain not balled up but spread out. He took the chained cleaned it in a water puddle and still the ET wouldn't see it no matter how you position the chain. Makes a statement there for sure. Short time later pulled a Rosie that only could see the 19 on at 4". But not even 2 ft from that I got another 64' Rosie with both being surrounded with trash yet the high tone was clear and repeatable. The ET didn't see them with the tight pattern but got a squeak on quick mask. He wouldn't have dug it. My friend went to his truck and got his 6" coil and slowed down. Still used the tight pattern and he got a lot more coins than I did but I had a bigger silver day. I sure we will be going back now more than ever as we had not gotten silver out of there the last 4 times we visited the site. The ground there is brutal on silver as you can see by the dull finish on the dimes.
Used 3 tone, 90 gain, 10 ID, o notch, o iron audio, 79 high tone break. I also can confirm that if it bounces in the 90's it is a nail in my case. Just a nail gives a broken 90 with the setting I was using but a solid one you should dig. Could be a larger silver coin.
[www.treasurenet.com]
Re: Silver with a Chain with R2 and 5" OOR
May 15, 2016 12:40PM
Good deal SN

sounds like you're taking to that machine right quick thumbs down

PS
your buddies Etrac not seeing that chain is nothing new --- there's only a handful of machines on the planet that can see chains and FBS ain't one of em...
May 15, 2016 03:20PM
Thanks When you look at the pattern of the links I'm surprised it was seen at all. Hit by a lawnmower and it gives me hope for more chains in the future. I'm do like this MD. I just got a call on a property I have been working on for a year and its got an 1800 home and shacks that were once occupied by slaves and then farm workers. Can only hunt when owner on site and will have a couple of hours on this round. Been in the family entire time and there is relative all around. Nobody is aware if any MDing has ever been done. My luck it will be sterile. lol
May 15, 2016 04:24PM
Like most Etrac users your buddy runs to much disc. I never go higher then 28 quick mask don't know why that is so hard to understand? Not sayin' it would hit chain like that but miss a lot with high disc. On Etrac IMHO.
May 15, 2016 06:53PM
Your experience mimics my experience when I got my Red Racer, and of course also on the Racer 2. The Racer breathed new life into a "worked out" site, it's the kind of site these Racers shine at, provided there's something still there of course.

At an old spot I've enjoyed hunting over the years, but dried up producing no silver for several years, and only one indian or wheatie per hunt during that several year dry spell, in three short (couple of hours each) hunts the Racer1 I was able to find these coins:

1907 Barber dime
1921 Mercury dime
1943-S silver war nickle
1944-P silver war nickle
1900 V nickle
1907 V nickle
1910 V nickle
1917 buffalo nickle
1921 buffalo nickle
1911-S wheatback
1915-S wheatback
1916-S wheatback
1917-S wheatback
1919-S wheatback
1919-S wheatback
1941-S wheatback

I haven't had the Racer 2 at this site yet, so I'm not sure if it'll pull coins out that after the Racer 1. Perhaps the DEEP mode will do something?

hh,
Brian
May 15, 2016 07:42PM
Thing about the ET Harold is we opened up the ferrous line down to 25 on the 30 and up side of it just for that reason. Its the size of the coil in the trashy area that helps in this case. Having multiple targets under the coil messed with the signal. Didn't realize how bad it is until Friday with no discrimination. No matter how I presented the chain my ET would not see it yet even in an air test the R2 sees it. Haven't had a chance to put on a larger coil to see if it will.
May 15, 2016 07:44PM
Brian I feel sure the R2 will pull some more coins. I was shocked at how much the iron audio possibly was masking hearing a good coin then we have an adjustable iron tone! Made a huge difference for me. JR sounds like you have learned the niche with the machine which is what's giving several a problem. You might not see that 85 or 83 amongst a blipping TID but you will hear that high tone chirping in somewhat. That is the dead nuts secret with it right there. You know you are in a lot of trash when that is going on. The ETrac not seeing it is no surprise and even with my CTX it did not see what I've been digging either.
May 16, 2016 03:29AM
Found what looks like a chain used maybe on a canteen my folks on maneuvers during WW2,,,with Nokta CoRe and small OOR coil,,stock coil wouldn't hit it-- head to head in the ground undisturbed.
May 16, 2016 03:30PM
The racers do have a way of finding targets that other machines miss and the 5" coil is really deep

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!