Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just wanted to show off this dime...

Posted by diggwr27 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just wanted to show off this dime...
May 24, 2016 11:37AM
I have found mercs before, some newer, some older, one in the 40's that was in super great shape...but not like this.
This one is 25 years older and from what the coin guys tell me this is a bit more special.
For this year the D and S mints are worth more, they made 3 X's more of the Philly types so usually way less in value but they made so many they wore out several dies and in this case the ones with what they call full split bands are at a premium.
This one has them...in spades.

[www.pcgs.com]

Hunting in a trashy mineralized and heavily iron infested area with the F70 and the standard concentric elliptical coil, a coil that I have grown to love just as much as my big and small DD's. I found a bunch of great targets on this hunt including two modern quarters in the same hole with a a large rusty 5" nail so the separation seems up there close to my DD's...could that be because of the strange shape I often wonder?
Some say the F70 can be considered a sleeper unit, if so I consider this coil a sleeper accessory and I will never get rid of it.
Hundreds of hours on all my coils so I am blessed to have them and they have all found me bucket list items in some very difficult conditions and sites but there is something about the sound, speed and response about this one that is special...to me anyway.
I am a jewelry hunter and this thing loves to find silver and gold in all sizes and depths in that arena but hunting for coins is not often mentioned...I am mentioning it now.
Many get an F70 or an F5 and immediately get rid of this coil in favor of others especially that big DD but I am not sure they use them enough to notice the abilities this one possesses...if they use them at all.
I had many hours on this one at first before I got my DD's so when I got those DD's and used them, and then rotated all three coils on so many hunts I started to notice a difference between the elliptical and the others and it seems to be different than the other concentric coils I have used on my F2 and my Tesoros too.
I believe Fisher knew what they're were doing when they picked this one as the standard for the F70 because as much as I love those DD's this one is...unique.
For my hunting style and in my type of normal sites at least.

This thing was about 4"deep in the entrance to some woods in my local park I practically live at and I was just exploring looking for new places to hunt in the future because I am getting bored hunting the same old areas in this park over and over.
I think I found a new place to spend some quality time.
Luckily it was in better black dirt, not the dry hard packed clay stuff that is so prevalent around here, and I am grateful for that because I lightly rubbed it in the field.
I never find coins like this so I didn't have a clue, some old coins sure but never in really great shape, I won't be rubbing coins in the field again after this one.
GB at the low 80's so even in my better black dirt this devil dirt is unforgiving and even though only at about 4" still pretty jumpy as all coins get around here as they get deeper.
Still, I knew by the new behavior I have learned this was probably going to be a coin and I was hoping for an old wheatie because I had just found a couple near this area a few minutes before.
When it came up as a silver dime instead I was pleasantly surprised, when I saw the date I was shocked, when I looked closer and noticed the extra crisp details I almost became catatonic.
Still has a bit of dirt in a few places because when I realized what I might have I stopped cleaning.
I can't get perfect pictures with my camera phone and my good camera is still awol but a couple of coin guys on other forums have looked close at my pitiful pics and indicated that this needs to be at least taken to a coin shop for evaluation, a few mentioned it might even be a candidate for grading and slabbing.
It was like it came from the mint to the bank and then someone brought it to this park and lost it.
Environmentally damaged or not this thing could be worth anywhere from the $30-$100 range...not that I would ever sell it.

Don't rub your coins in the field...even a blind squirrel finds nuts from time to time and take it from me I am nuttier than most of you.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 01:16PM by diggwr27.
Re: Just wanted to show off this dime...
May 24, 2016 11:39AM
Very nice looking coin.
May 24, 2016 12:08PM
Gorgeous example of one of USA's most "classic" coins. Really enjoyed your post, diggwr27. Very well written and clearly shows your passion for detecting and your F70 and its coils.
Thanks for sharing. I looked elsewhere to find what FSB means.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 24, 2016 12:57PM
Thanks!
Passion is easy especially when a few special things pop up here and there that can be shocking.

Explanation of FSB here...
[www.pcgs.com]

Love learning new things about my finds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 01:00PM by diggwr27.
May 24, 2016 01:01PM
Beautiful coin and Great writeup.
May 24, 2016 04:01PM
STUNNING!
May 24, 2016 04:35PM
Very Nice coin!!

And very thorough write up!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla