Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MX Sport--- mini review

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MX Sport--- mini review
May 26, 2016 06:11PM
Okay,,White's I bought some more stock in your company.

Detector packaged nicely,,does come with batteries btw.

A very solid feeling detector-- not light but seems lighter feeling than my CTX-- haven't weighed.

This particular detector has 8 settings for SAT,,with 8 being labeled in the screen as hyper SAT.

I like this detector,,,remember I am a big Deus fan,,that says something I think.

Now I don't know how the update indeed meshed with all the programs,,,but running mine in level 6 SAT in relic mode-- I wouldn't give 2 cents for it ( for the program) ,, but going to level 8,, different ballgame.p

For hunting in iron,,8 tone might be better vs say 4 or 2 tones,,seems highest tone is higher using 8 tone vs the other 2 settings for tone-- 20 tones,,I will never use.

Coil ears on the coil-- look well thought out.

Sturdy rod setup overall.

Only weak point I see,,but to me this is insignificant,,is the arm cuff not the strongest,,,but would be easily changed out if need be.

Tones overall not as feisty sounding as Deus- lower overall

So far with what test I have done,,I like what I see--- for what this detector costs.

Seems to handle my soil here--- definitely better than a F75 detector any series.

To be honest,,I have a buried coin,, down pretty deep-- this detector is hitting it pretty good --- better than my F75 DST ever did.

Now I don't want folks here to get the wrong idea,, when I mention other detector models here-- but this is the best way for me to relate the info.

I have done some 3D test with nails and coin--- so far I like what I see-- and again my F75dst with stock coil on some of these-- not even close IMO.

Have not plugged in headphones yet-- just getting to know this detector somewhat.

Navigation isn't hard once you find your way around 2 or 3 times.

This detector for the money,,,I think is a very good buy-- especially adding the waterproofing in on it.

I only have the stock coil,,but am impressed so far.

Right now,,the way I see it,,if a person has medium and higher mineralization soil,,,,this detector is definitely worth s look.

This detector,,will be my all purpose go anywhere detector-- for when I'm out and really not expecting to detect-- but for whatever reason wind up going.

Have so far played with relic, coin and jewelry,,and high trash programs mainly,,a little with AM.

I will be posting more here on this detector,,,as I gain more experience with it and see some more maybe of its tendencies and nuances.

Again,,impressed by the unit.

The manufacturer here deserves credit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 06:32PM by tnsharpshooter.
wjs
Re: MX Sport--- mini review
May 26, 2016 06:57PM
It is really good at pulling coins out of the trash. I took it to one of my spots that is super bad and was digging coins that the other detectors missed. I ran it wide open (No disc) and looked for anything that had some 60's and 70's mixed in with all the other signals and most times there was a coin in the hole with the other trash or iron.
May 26, 2016 07:16PM
That's more the post I was hoping to make when I got mine. I am glad to hear White's is getting it sorted out. I think if this is the way the game gets played however there should be a way to check the firmware version. There are way too many versions drifting around now with no way to know which is which, and I do not think White's is done tweaking it yet. Last I heard they were still trying to get the modulation option to work correctly. Dealers still have older versions on the shelf, so even buying new gives no assurance you are getting the latest version. Personally I won't be buying another White's detector unless it can be updated via the Internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 07:31PM by Steve Herschbach.
May 26, 2016 09:38PM
thank you for sharing your initial findings tnss winking smiley
May 26, 2016 10:19PM
Some additional information.

Now remember I have never ever been around a MXT detector.

Using the tones,, standalone dime 8 tones is highest,,sweeping stand alone dime 2 tone and 4 tone sound the same to me. But when nail is near dime,,,swept with each 2 tones, 4 tones, and 8 tones--- 2 tones is the higher sounding tone vs the others.

Also,,it seems as far as hunting modern trash ( nonferrous junk looking for the higher conductors),,, using disc seems to do fine---- but using disc (or some may think notch,, since you do have segments) to disc out,,,you use this around iron,,you will no doubt leave some good targets behind in the ground.

Here is something interesting,,at least to me,,,I have a big 5" nail,,,in relic program,,I get the low tone on it as long as SAT is in levels 0-7,,,go to hyper SAT 8 setting this nail when swept by itself seems to go bye bye tonal wise. And I tried even a 12 penny nail-- the same thing happens,,,but if I lower disc to below -10,, both nails sound off even with the level 8 SAT setting.

Trash program--- seems to work in around modern trash ( nonferrous),, but not a good performer around iron and nails-- related to above where I commented.

On same plane testing-- with tabs disc out--- will see a high conductor like a dime,,,when spaced very tightly,,even adding another tab in close,,,dime still sounds off--- but ID is not to be believed,,meaning you'll get a good solid tone over the dime and 2 junk targets ( tabs).

Good targets like higher conductors in close to nails--- don't believe the ID,,unit will give good solid tone,,meter readings of -01,00,01,02 witnessed--- like all other detectors really that are capable of picking up such nonferrous targets in close to iron and nails--- you only know it is nonferrous ( likely).

I'm still comparing coin and jewelry program to relic program--- using this hyper sat setting of 8,, I think it is doing something ( advantage wise) over the coin and jewelry program,,,but to premature for me to comment

Since I have been running this thing a few hours,,,really with its handle design,,feels more like a heavy Deus vs a CTX.

Unit does show signs of EMI here at my house,,especially when sensitivity is put to 10,, yet I'm still hearing some of my deep coins with it.

More to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 10:22PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 26, 2016 10:19PM
Overall mine was working well. I've been using prospect mode with iron audio. Unfortunately I had to send mine in for an update sat 6 to 8 and pinpoint wasn't very loud. I have a lot of confidence with this detector already. It is pulling stuff out with iron mixed in with the good stuff. My ground is mild and goes deep. I don't notice much difference in the 10" coil and the 6x10 coil. The 10" is slightly deeper so I won't be using the 10" coil. To bad you can't order with the coil you want.

Rick
MX Sport--- mini review
May 26, 2016 10:45PM
Thanks for the review. I am interested to read more if anybody else has info to add, especially thoughts between the MXT ALL Pro and the Sport. My area has ground that is pretty heavily mineralized. How about the ruggedness of the unit overall for hiking around the woods and hills?

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 10:51PM by Gonebeepin'.
May 26, 2016 10:52PM
I am going to post some close up pics here for folks interested.

Here is a close up of coil mounting bracket.

Here is a pic of the bottom of detector-- notice the little stand

Here is a pic,,battery compartment open,,notice the seal,,and there is alignment mark to use-- when you go in the water.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 11:07PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 27, 2016 12:41AM
Best of all, they said they were testing a small 5" coil for it. I sent them a Facebook message suggesting/requesting one and they said it was already in the works. When that thing comes out, if they do it right, the MX Sport will be the most well rounded detector on the market today. It wont be a niche machine for specific applications but will have the ability to do most things and handle most situations that hunters will encounter.

I am curious if you have the 1st or 3rd firmware version. I was at North GA Relics last Thursday and the demo unit he had out in the store was his latest batch and it was the 2nd version that goes to 6 SAT. He said he had sold a few units that he said came in before that 2nd batch that his demo was out of but the customers seemed to like them and hadn't brought them back in. I agree with Steve...there should be a version number to go by when you turn it on or if you press a certain button combo or something. Since yours goes to 8 SAT, it could be version 1 or 3.

Mine is version 2 and is working great in the iron and modern trash. I've got a friend coming over in the morning that wants to try his Relic in my flat button site to see if his is any better than mine was. His first one was bad and he sent it back to Kellyco and he just got this one in. I have a feeling he is gonna be wanting a MX Sport after he leaves.
May 27, 2016 01:16AM
No doubt smiling smiley. More people are starting to hear about this detector now.

Rick
May 27, 2016 01:47AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Best of all, they said they were testing a small
> 5" coil for it. I sent them a Facebook message
> suggesting/requesting one and they said it was
> already in the works. When that thing comes out,
> if they do it right, the MX Sport will be the most
> well rounded detector on the market today. It
> wont be a niche machine for specific applications
> but will have the ability to do most things and
> handle most situations that hunters will
> encounter.
>
> I am curious if you have the 1st or 3rd firmware
> version. I was at North GA Relics last Thursday
> and the demo unit he had out in the store was his
> latest batch and it was the 2nd version that goes
> to 6 SAT. He said he had sold a few units that he
> said came in before that 2nd batch that his demo
> was out of but the customers seemed to like them
> and hadn't brought them back in. I agree with
> Steve...there should be a version number to go by
> when you turn it on or if you press a certain
> button combo or something. Since yours goes to 8
> SAT, it could be version 1 or 3.
>
> Mine is version 2 and is working great in the iron
> and modern trash. I've got a friend coming over in
> the morning that wants to try his Relic in my flat
> button site to see if his is any better than mine
> was. His first one was bad and he sent it back to
> Kellyco and he just got this one in. I have a
> feeling he is gonna be wanting a MX Sport after he
> leaves.

Since mine has 8 levels of SAT ,,,,would have to be a 3rd or 4th version,,,counting the original as a version.

I don't think my unit's recovery is slowed when modulation is turned on--- and if this is the case it would be a version 4.

Don told me when I ordered,,he had 2 units in stock just sent to him that was supposedly updated.

Maybe I got lucky.

I'm not complaining.

And I have said here before,,,about the firmware needing ID system.
But Carl,, responded here about this subject.

I will try to paraphrase what he said,,,,

Sometimes a new firmware version is needed because of a component change (( where a component may become exhausted and a new component ( suitable sub) is used))--- but doing this can/ could cause for a version change,,,and performance characteristics would/ could be same or extremely close to prior versions.

But when this happens,,many folks see where they don't have the latest and greatest version,, hence want the update.

Now this is really not what we are talking about here with what happened to the MX Sport.

But I feel,,,if a manufacturer would indeed list all good applicable versions ( meaning they are free of what I call defects)),, folks could indeed see they have a unit with worthy firmware.

But my opinion generally don't count for much.

It would seem,, though White's would be keeping up with which detector has which firmware via using serial number---so they know,,,and we don't

That's it in a nutshell.
May 27, 2016 02:38AM
My gosh-the detector's been out a few months and they've already got four versions. I think I'll wait until the dust settles before I consider one.
May 27, 2016 02:50AM
I don't know of a 4th version. The first with the slow recovery had 8 SAT settings, the second version fixed the recovery speed but had weak pinpoint audio and in the 8 to 20 tone modes, the tones would blend or cut out. They reduced the SAT numbers to 6. The 3rd version fixed those problems and they put the 8 SAT levels back. They might have tweaked it some more since I talked to them last which was about 2 weeks ago.
May 27, 2016 03:00AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I don't know of a 4th version. The first with the
> slow recovery had 8 SAT settings, the second
> version fixed the recovery speed but had weak
> pinpoint audio and in the 8 to 20 tone modes, the
> tones would blend or cut out. They reduced the SAT
> numbers to 6. The 3rd version fixed those
> problems and they put the 8 SAT levels back. They
> might have tweaked it some more since I talked to
> them last which was about 2 weeks ago.

I think you are correct Daniel-- I think I have version 3,,, I will do even some more test to be sure,,but what testing I did,,don't think there was a difference with recovery with modulation ON.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 03:14AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 27, 2016 09:30AM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> there should be a way to check
> the firmware version. There are way too many
> versions drifting around now with no way to know
> which is which, and I do not think White's is done
> tweaking it yet. Last I heard they were still
> trying to get the modulation option to work
> correctly. Dealers still have older versions on
> the shelf, so even buying new gives no assurance
> you are getting the latest version.

Steve,

There's probably a button push sequence that is "secret" to the Service Techs that they 'type in' that brings up hidden information they can see to both check which software version and if the buttons are all working properly.
All Minelab's have this embedded in them.

Des D
May 27, 2016 01:49PM
I'm with Steve H and SD on this one.
May 27, 2016 02:27PM
> Steve,
>
> There's probably a button push sequence that is
> "secret" to the Service Techs that they 'type in'
> that brings up hidden information they can see to
> both check which software version and if the
> buttons are all working properly.
> All Minelab's have this embedded in them.
>
> Des D

Hi Des,

I half figured that myself. If that is the case then why has White's not made the information public? People have a right to know what they are buying. Perhaps it also accesses other secret functions? Regardless secret inaccessible information is as good as none at all and in this case it has gotten out of control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 02:29PM by Steve Herschbach.
May 27, 2016 02:33PM
I got a M6 in on trade and I am pleasantly surprised by it. I'll be keeping an eye on the MX platform for sure. Wasn't that impressed with the MXS design but it did have a lot of punch. But I never really hunted with it.
May 27, 2016 03:10PM
Found 2 cuff flat buttons this morning with the MXS. Called my buddy over hoping he would find some. He ended up finding 1 just like my 2. We were digging around a massive oak tree and he looked over on the trunk and saw a 5 or 6 foot chicken snake climbing the tree and he was ready to go. Lol It was so humid in the woods that my shirt was drenched by 9 o clock.
May 27, 2016 03:23PM
Products shipped when marketing or top management say ship it! Engineering may or may not agree that it's ready to ship – that's how stuff like this happens.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 27, 2016 03:26PM
Well-----On a best case scenario--all this HAS to be hurting Whites sales.----It appears they need tighter qc.-----I know I wouldn't be buying ANY detector without knowing FOR CERTAIN I was getting the upgrade/correction version.------These things cost enough without shooting yourself in the foot right off the bat.-------I think the best advice is: wait 6 months (or so) till things get sorted out on this model--then take another look IF a person is still interested.----------Del
May 27, 2016 03:35PM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:
> My gosh-the detector's been out a few months and
> they've already got four versions. I think I'll
> wait until the dust settles before I consider one.

Me too. I grew up on Whites. I want to swing a winner from them. But this sounds like work in progress.
May 27, 2016 06:50PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Products shipped when marketing or top management
> say ship it! Engineering may or may not agree
> that it's ready to ship – that's how stuff like
> this happens.

True Story! Right on the money! You got it! Well said! That did happen during my time with 'moon labe'
May 28, 2016 01:19AM
Alright took the detector to my so called proving grounds site.

Before I went there though I went to the woods and hunted a little while,,,and it started raining,,funny thing is I didn't have to worry about my detector,,but did leave my truck windows down.

Hunted there running coin and jewelry mode,, max sensitivity-- nice and quiet running. I did notice though before I went into coin and jewelry program,,,relic program was a bit noisy,,but sat was at level 8... Didn't check to see if that was a contributing factor.

Did find one 22 bullet,,a shotgun hull,,and a very small pice of what seems like aluminum wire.

So the rain shower didn't last long,,,headed for what I call,,,my worst iron site I've ever hunted-- a very old site too.

I have run Deus in this baby a bunch.

Remember I only have the 10" coil for MX sport,,,but I wanted to see how it handled all the iron,,,and what could it sneak out of the site.

I ran relic mode,,no disc, 2 tone,, sens at 9, sat hyper 8.

I made a few finds,,,a piece of lead,,and the 2 nails come out of the hole with it.. A good signal,,but extremely coil position se sensitive,,only a 2 way signal.

Found a few more nonferrous finds as well.

I did dig a few higher reading signals that pinpointed somewhat bigger-- not shown btw,, I had a pretty good hunch they were iron,,and both were at about 10-11" down,,both medium sized kettle iron.

The pieces of iron you see in the pic,,,I dug them because they were giving good 4 way high tone,,and both actually read a steady -02 on the meter. I had to dig to see what this detector as telling me.

I think this detector is a very good iron relic machine,,,,meaning I would be very tempting to dig all 4 way lower reading Vdi signals ( consistent) as long as they were smaller targets when pinpointing.

This detector I think for its operating freq-- likes smaller targets pretty good,,,I would be willing to bet,,,we will see some folks a hunting in swimming holes,,pulling some low conductor ear ring studs.

And here is something I have been pondering,,since my hunt---I think it very possible to miss a lower conductor with Deus,,using full tones vs the MX sport,,,just because of the higher tone that rolls in with MX sport..

I still like this detector,,,and it does by its design of the handle,,, feel like a heavier Deus to me..

BTW,,I had much rather use this detector in a heavy iron site vs Racer 1,,, by how it reports iron-- to me this detector is rounding out the corners of the iron a bit more.

Having watched the meter on some of the iron signals that give ( almost good tone) wrap,,,to me it was definitely easy to identify the iron using both tone and meter reaction(s).

The hotter weather is closing in--- lets see if some folks don't start to pull in some nice smaller lower conductor jewelry using this detector in and around water holes..

More to come.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 02:31AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 28, 2016 10:11AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
>
>
>
> --- lets see if
> some folks don't start to pull in some nice
> smaller lower conductor jewelry using this
> detector in and around water holes..

"Yeah Baby...swimming holes will be THE perfect place for it! Bet ya a dime to a dollar there will be [ an underwater video ] of someone crawling around underneath a wooden jetty pulling out multiple coins & RINGS!!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 10:12AM by Des D.
May 28, 2016 12:48PM
Des D Wrote:

> There's probably a button push sequence that is
> "secret" to the Service Techs that they 'type in'
> that brings up hidden information they can see to
> both check which software version and if the
> buttons are all working properly.
> All Minelab's have this embedded in them.

It may be as simple as turning on the detector with a specific button (or two) held down.
Maybe our MX Sport owners can find it!

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 28, 2016 01:42PM
sounds like a good detector , worthy of trying some day

Curantly own a Mirage P.I made by sven , and a silver Umax with ground balance mode, and a Tesoro Tejon
May 28, 2016 09:07PM
There is a 4 Tone setting? If they can fix the Modulated Audio I may have to get one. While they are at it would be cool if it was adjustable say 5 levels like the V3i.
May 28, 2016 09:14PM
GunnarMN Wrote:
> sounds like a good detector , worthy of trying
> some day

Sounds like a "work in progress"!!-----I think you're all a bunch of "guinea pigs"--carry on!!!grinning smiley----Been there, done that----NO MO!
May 29, 2016 03:51AM
Here is my take on this whole upgrade/update bit. I posted this on Findmall and copied and pasted it here.

The updates aren't a necessity to make the machine functional. It's not like a factory recall where it might catch on fire if not updated. Mine doesn't have the latest and I'm pretty happy with it. Had it not been for the internet, I would wager $100 that most people would have never knew where to look or what to look for to see if their machine had the newest firmware or not and it never would have been a "problem". In my honest opinion, people are making a mountain out of an ant hill with the whole bit about needing the latest update.

This is what I mean: I was talking to a metal detector dealer friend of mine and he had sold his first batch of Sports when they first came out before anybody had found "the bug". Thus they had the first firmware version. One of the customers came in the store a few weeks later bragging on the machine. Best machine he had ever used, extremely happy with it, finding all kind of stuff with it and was showing pics on his phone of some great relics he had found with it. Then sometime after that he read on one of the forums that it had an update to fix an audio lag problem. Something he had never personally noticed or experienced...but the detector went from being the best he'd ever had to something that he was treating like it wouldn't find anything else until it had the update.